NEX 6 and 7 eyecup

One day I became aware that the eye cup on my NEX 6 was missing.  It does help when there is strong sidelight etc.

Looking for a replacement was appalled to find that the Sony part cost more than £20. Decided against.

After shooting in strong sun reversed decision and found genuine product on Ebay for £20.

Fitted and pondered using epoxy adhesive to provide a more permanent attachment to the camera. Procrastinated and did nothing.

Took the camera out for a day's shooting and on return the new eye cup was gone.

There is no aftermarket replacement that I am aware of, you are stuck with the Sony part, and, rumour has it, it is no longer manufactured.

Suggest NEX 6 and 7 users glue their eye cups to their cameras!

Sorry to hear about your eye cup misadventures. Mine fits very snuggly on my NEX-6. In fact, I have trouble taking it off in order to clean the viewfinder. Perhaps your camera has a slight design flaw.

Sony's prices for accessories are over-the-top here in Canada as well. They tend to be significantly cheaper in the USA for some reason.

Are you sure there isn't a bargain basement "made in China" solution out there?

There seem to be some better prices on eye pieces if you order from Japan. However, after you add the shipping and perhaps import duty (?), I guess they aren't such a bargain.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=sony+nex-6+eye+cup&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xsony+nex+eyepiece&_nkw=sony+nex+eyepiece&_sacat=0

Not that I can find John.

The thing was a snug enough fit on the camera, just couldn't stand up to the abuse that I appear to hand out to my photo gear.

The thing was a snug enough fit on the camera, just couldn't stand up to the abuse that I appear to hand out to my photo gear.

It's amazing the enterprising Chinese haven't come up with one. They've copied just about everything else on the planet.

You must be much mightier than I.

It's amazing the enterprising Chinese haven't come up with one. They've copied just about everything else on the planet.

You must be much mightier than I.

You mean you cannot see these on Ebay?

wim

Bryan, if you need a replacement eyecup, there's one somewhere at the Mauna Kea summit on the Big Island, Hawaii. You can have it for free if you find it! :-)

I looked for it when I discovered I'd lost it, but I was starting to feel to altitude (4200 m above sea level) and never found it.

Back in Vancouver I ordered a new one at the local Sony Store, it was C$19.99 + tax. It took them almost a month to get one and then they almost gave it to another guy who ordered one around the same time. 

BTW they're only $7.59 at B&H...

• 1 month later...

Try pricing a lens cap for a Leica M Summicron! Luckily sizes haven't changed in over 50 years so I have a boxfull of odds and sods. 

Also try pricing an exhaust catalytic converter for a Mazda RX8. The heat shield of mine dropped off today. £1,250 plus VAT from Mazda. Luckily (?), £250 not from Mazda. 

Now on my third NEX 6 eyecup, firmly attached with superglue. Might have to use a hammer and  chisel if access to the innards ever required....

Be sure to let the glue dry before raising camera to eyelids or you might end up with some awkward permanent eyewear.

I lost my eye cup again too last weekend while hiking at Mt Baker. I think I figured out how it happens now. When I sling the camera over my left shoulder it bumps into the side of my backpack, popping off the eye cup. Of course I only notice the next time I take a photo.

I think I'll order three or four from B&H this time.

I lost my eye cup again too last weekend while hiking at Mt Baker. I think I figured out how it happens now. When I sling the camera over my left shoulder it bumps into the side of my backpack, popping off the eye cup. Of course I only notice the next time I take a photo.

I think I'll order three or four from B&H this time.

It sounds as if Sony has discovered a goldmine with its lose-able eye cups. Mine is still hanging in there, but I think I might order an extra one just in case. I actually prefer the design of the camera strap on my NEX-3, which allows the camera to hang with the lens pointing downward. Trust Sony to abandon a good thing. 

• 3 weeks later...

That's amazing, Bryan. It seems the gods don't want you to have an eye cup. As mentioned, I can barely pry mine off the NEX-6. Perhaps your bad luck has something to do with the English climate. Have you ever done any welding? B)

My welding is even worse than my photography, had to learn as an apprentice.  Might try epoxy resin next time....

"I had been concerned that I might never be able to take it off!." -- Bryan

Well . . . one problem solved. 

Do you have any pets in your house? Mice? Wise-guy kids?  :unsure: 

:) Once upon a time, but not any more.

I made one for temporary use until the deep one for my x-t1 came in. A popular eyewash I use has eye cups (of course). I spray painted one black and cut out the narrow end. I didn't glue it on but just let the pressure between my face & cup do the job. Sounds unhandy, but actually worked quite well. I only needed it for midday bright sun.

Betty

I made one for temporary use until the deep one for my x-t1 came in. A popular eyewash I use has eye cups (of course). I spray painted one black and cut out the narrow end. I didn't glue it on but just let the pressure between my face & cup do the job. Sounds unhandy, but actually worked quite well. I only needed it for midday bright sun.

Betty

Thanks that's given me an idea. The answer might be to keep the thing off the camera until needed and then restore to pocket/bag when done. Knowing me I would probably lose it however......

Archived