Internal server error messages

For the past few days, when I click on -- i.e. zoom -- thumbnails that come up in Alamy searches, I get the following message:

"500 - Internal server error. There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed."

Is anyone else having this problem?

I too can zoom your pictures with no problem, along with a random selection of others.

Server error 500 is an error at the web server end and I would be surprised if it has anything to do with your own computer.

I don't know if Alamy's servers are duplicated in various parts of the globe. If that were the case there is a possibility that your searches are accessing a different server than we in the UK are accessing, and that this other server has a problem. Only Alamy can shed any light on that.

In the light of my modest IT knowledge, I will happily bow to any knowledgeable person who might shed more light on this.

I have the problem when try to login. Backspace to front page and try login again, error again but I'm loged in... Weird!

I've that problem few times a year, Alamy knows about for long time. Cleaning cache or cookies doesn't help.

Bit of bother just now- I've lost keywords for the first time.

Maybe wait a while.

Yup, me too - I have just e-mailed MS about the keywords issue, but I guess this is all related.  I zoomed an image that had no keywords listed, thankfully, they are still there in manage images.

• 2 weeks later...

I still can't zoom any Alamy images (about two weeks now). It doesn't sound as if anyone else here is having the same problem. However, just in case there is, I've finally e-mailed member services asking what the issue might be and shall post their reply when I receive it.

I frequently get the "Safari can't find the server" www.alamy.com  message. I'll get it several times and give up. A few minutes later we seem back to normal function. This is Sunday early afternoon, not a busy time I would have thought.

My router is a fairly ancient NETGEAR but I'm not sure that is the likely culprit.

I started getting the "500 - Internal server error" messages a couple of weeks ago when I tried zooming images. Never had this problem before, and from what I've been able to glean from the Web, the glitch is most likely on Alamy's end. But I'm not sure. Could it be my computer? Does someone out there know anything about this esoteric stuff?

It's (most likely) nothing to do with you.  It's on a remote server that holds the images.  Why are you having the problem and few others?  Dunno, that's very strange.  Could be that Alamy have servers which display content according to user's location (e.g. Server A is for Europe, Server B for the USA, Server C for JM's house :) !)  So, perhaps the server for your location has a problem.

Unfortunately, it's a very general error, so could be due to multiple unspecified issues.  Just in case there is some strange anomaly afoot, try all the usual stuff: clear your cookies/cache, then refresh the page.  Do you have a really slow connection or problems with any other sites?  Is your anti-virus software up to date (if not, why not?! :o )?  When did you last do a full anti-virus scan of your computer?  As I say, try all the usual stuff like this first.  If you still have a problem, then let MS know, just in case.  Unlikely that they wouldn't know of a issue by now, but stranger things have happened...

It's (most likely) nothing to do with you.  It's on a remote server that holds the images.  Why are you having the problem and few others?  Dunno, that's very strange.  Could be that Alamy have servers which display content according to user's location (e.g. Server A is for Europe, Server B for the USA, Server C for JM's house :) !)  So, perhaps the server for your location has a problem.

Unfortunately, it's a very general error, so could be due to multiple unspecified issues.  Just in case there is some strange anomaly afoot, try all the usual stuff: clear your cookies/cache, then refresh the page.  Do you have a really slow connection or problems with any other sites?  Is your anti-virus software up to date (if not, why not?! :o )?  When did you last do a full anti-virus scan of your computer?  As I say, try all the usual stuff like this first.  If you still have a problem, then let MS know, just in case.  Unlikely that they wouldn't know of a issue by now, but stranger things have happened...

Thanks. Have done all of the above. No similar problems with other sites. Anti-virus software up-to-date. Have e-mailed MS services. Response hopefully forthcoming. 

So far, member services hasn't been able to figure out why I can no longer zoom images. However, today I've discovered that if I use a private browsing window in Firefox, my zooming capability returns. Does this speak to any of you computer experts? If not, private browsing and continually signing in may have to become my new modus operandi on Alamy? It's not the end of the universe but still a bit inconvenient.

Sorry, John, I just can't make head nor tail of this!  I can't for the life of me think why you should be able to zoom images only when 'private browsing', as the functionality of the basic zooming of an image doesn't depend on any system that is reliant on either being logged in (or out) or on cookies (only when you are logged in, when it will add the "edit image" link to your own photos).

Have you tried kicking or swearing at your computer?  Man-made items sometimes just need a good talking to!

Sorry, John, I just can't make head nor tail of this!  I can't for the life of me think why you should be able to zoom images only when 'private browsing', as the functionality of the basic zooming of an image doesn't depend on any system that is reliant on either being logged in (or out) or on cookies (only when you are logged in, when it will add the "edit image" link to your own photos).

Have you tried kicking or swearing at your computer?  Man-made items sometimes just need a good talking to!

Doesn't make much sense to me either, but I don't anything about this stuff. Guess I'll just have to wear a black hoodie and stick with private browsing. B)

UPDATE: Looks as if I spoke too soon, now I can no longer zoom images even in private browsing. Could the gods be trying to tell me something?

Archived