I sit here in front of a 4-year-old iMac. Yesterday, out of the blue, Apple offered to update my operating system from Mountain Lion to OS X . . . no charge. I'm just wondering, is this a general policy, have others gone down this path, or is it just Ed they love? 

:)

Apple offered a free upgrade to Mavericks OS 10.9 several months ago. What you're probably seeing now is the upgrade to 10.9.2 which has a security fix. If you haven't yet, you should also update your phone to iOS 7.0.6 which has a similar security fix.

Ed stick with Mountain Lion. Don't upgrade to Mavericks yet. Too many issues. Mavericks is a free update. I am on ML 10.8.5 or something around that number. Mavericks is currently 10.9.2. Don't bother with it; it's a mess.

I have no problems with Mavericks whatsoever running a 5 year old Mac. Would you like to clarify specifically what issues you mean? 

MDM without going into mind numbing detail, I go on a forum where all we do is talk about Macs and PCs specifically for certain types of production. Some of the systems involve multiple Macs, multiple PCs and multiple combinations of both. Massive systems in quite a few cases. Mavericks is not Apples finest hour when it comes to an OS.

The best OS they had arguably was Snow Leopard, but that has now become an orphan system and there will be no support for it from Apple in future.

Mountain Lion is where I would stay for the time being. IMO.

I'm also on a Mac forum and I remember there was an issue with Mavericks and WD hard drives. I presume that's been resolved by now. I don't remember anyone with more complex networks or systems mentioning any issues but it's possible it's true. I'm using a five month old Mac Mini with two external Seagate drives, a LaCie back-up drive, a couple of scanners with an Airport Extreme. We have three iPhones, an iPad and a Roku connecting to the network and, aside from Safari behaving rather flakey with PhotoShelter, I haven't noticed any issues yet. If anything Mavericks seems faster than Mountain Lion and all my software that was compatible with ML runs fine under Mavericks.

MDM without going into mind numbing detail, I go on a forum where all we do is talk about Macs and PCs specifically for certain types of production. Some of the systems involve multiple Macs, multiple PCs and multiple combinations of both. Massive systems in quite a few cases. Mavericks is not Apples finest hour when it comes to an OS.

The best OS they had arguably was Snow Leopard, but that has now become an orphan system and there will be no support for it from Apple in future.

In my opinion, if you make a claim like you are making, it is wise to back it up with evidence. This is a stock photography forum. If there are issues in relation to digital imaging and Mavericks. then it would be prudent to say what they are. If the issues you are talking about are related to audio (which I recall you said something before in relation to new iMacs) then that is probably not relevant to most people on this forum. But it would still be helpful to clarify with examples rather than make very broad sweeping statements which help nobody. The only negative thing I have experienced so far with Mavericks is that is quite a lot slower to start up. Otherwise I have had absolutely no issues. 

In my opinion, if you make a claim like you are making, it is wise to back it up with evidence. This is a stock photography forum. If there are issues in relation to digital imaging and Mavericks. then it would be prudent to say what they are. If the issues you are talking about are related to audio (which I recall you said something before in relation to new iMacs) then that is probably not relevant to most people on this forum. But it would still be helpful to clarify with examples rather than make very broad sweeping statements which help nobody. The only negative thing I have experienced so far with Mavericks is that is quite a lot slower to start up. Otherwise I have had absolutely no issues. 

My son has a Mac and about 20 minutes after he updated to Maverick it went kaflewy. He took the Mac into an Apple store and was charged $100 for a repair, even though they told him it was caused by Maverick. I told him he should dispute it, but he didn't. Then about a month later his whole system just crashed. Back to Apple store, $700 to fix, and yes, it was related again to Maverick. He fought this time and Apple sent him a check for the $700, accepting responsibility. My son hates his Mac, but he is a film student, and thats what they use, so he had no choice.

Jill

If any of you were to click on the link in my post #7, you would see that is about the 10.9.2 update I uploaded yesterday that is said to solve Maverick's earlier problems. So far, I've had no problems. I hope that continues. 

My son has a Mac and about 20 minutes after he updated to Maverick it went kaflewy. He took the Mac into an Apple store and was charged $100 for a repair, even though they told him it was caused by Maverick. I told him he should dispute it, but he didn't. Then about a month later his whole system just crashed. Back to Apple store, $700 to fix, and yes, it was related again to Maverick. He fought this time and Apple sent him a check for the $700, accepting responsibility. My son hates his Mac, but he is a film student, and thats what they use, so he had no choice.

Jill

The amount of iMac computers that have been returned is phenomenal for Apple. Apple have denied that there were any issues from day one which is basically their mandate. Which is also slightly ridiculous and embarrassing for them too.

I'm not interested in backing up any 'claims' btw. It is simply an opinion based on hard facts from numerous users, most of them power users and if everything is working well, then that's all you need.

If it goes wrong somewhere down the road, then it should be simple enough to sort out. Any future problems, all you need to do is reload Mountain Lion. I currently use a MacPro and wouldn't even consider loading up Mavericks.

Anyone with any new iMacs? Haswell chipped iMacs?

https://discussions.apple.com/message/24739335?searchText=serious%20audio%20interface%20is#24739335

No issues? Read that. I don't subscribe to this forum actually but I have read it. Just because you can load up Lightroom doesn't mean there are no issues. If you have a Haswell chipped iMac and you come to eventually sell it you may need to be aware of the above.

Anyone with any new iMacs? Haswell chipped iMacs?

https://discussions.apple.com/message/24739335?searchText=serious%20audio%20interface%20is#24739335

No issues? Read that. I don't subscribe to this forum actually but I have read it. Just because you can load up Lightroom doesn't mean there are no issues. If you have a Haswell chipped iMac and you come to eventually sell it you may need to be aware of the above.

This thread was about Mavericks not new iMacs. That is a completely different issue and clearly one that you feel strongly about but not the subject of this thread

It's completely about the new Haswell iMacs. Because no one really yet knows whether the causes are the Fusion drives, Mavericks,USB, Thunderbolt/Firewire converters etc etc. And that is a major problem when it comes round eventually to selling on the computer. Everyone knows about this since last September at least. I don't personally have an axe to grind because I do not own one. But I think if you know about this stuff you should give people the heads up even if it might not affect them vis a vi the applications they generally use. 

Because you may not use certain applications that are obviously faulty, and only worry about LR or Safari and stuff like that, would you still get a computer that is obviously flawed> I personally wouldn't; sent two of them back.

It's completely about the new Haswell iMacs. Because no one really yet knows whether the causes are the Fusion drives, Mavericks,USB, Thunderbolt/Firewire converters etc etc. And that is a major problem when it comes round eventually to selling on the computer. Everyone knows about this since last September at least. I don't personally have an axe to grind because I do not own one. But I think if you know about this stuff you should give people the heads up even if it might not affect them vis a vi the applications they generally use. 

Because you may not use certain applications that are obviously faulty, and only worry about LR or Safari and stuff like that, would you still get a computer that is obviously flawed> I personally wouldn't; sent two of them back.

No this is completely about a 4 year old iMac, and upgrading ML to Mavericks on it. See the OP below:

I sit here in front of a 4-year-old iMac. Yesterday, out of the blue, Apple offered to update my operating system from Mountain Lion to OS X . . . no charge. I'm just wondering, is this a general policy, have others gone down this path, or is it just Ed they love? 

:)

Either way please don't judge the depth or breadth or usage, or technical understanding, of the products we own.

Whether you own one or not you clearly have an axe to grind, or a mis-placed obligation to make sure everyone understands an issue which you have problem with. Feel free to start a new thread on it, and I'm sure everyone else who feels impacted will join in with you - but please leave this one to the simple and specific feedback that Ed requested. 

Archived