Stockimo - Clear definitions on picture needs?

Paulstw

I appreciate that Stockimo is a new venture for everyone. However, coming from a very strict QC and an almost zero tolerance of over edited images, Stockimo has swept the rug from under our feet a wee bit with the 'creative' aspect of out pictures and what you regard as 'creative' 

I think I've had 4 images accepted out of 17 uploads. Naturally like anything you try your best to be better than your failures however, based on the type of editing that is in the library and also trying to keep to the stock theme, I was sure these images would have made it in no bother. In fact I was quite chuffed with them. 

Untitled-1.jpg

To my utter surprise all 4 were failed one after another, and I just wonder. What criteria are Alamy keeping to with regards to Stockimo? If it's a place for creativity, I'm scratching my head at why there's so many failures. I labelled and keyworded them accordingly and also answered the questions based on the content. A picture I took of a sunrise this morning was accepted no bother. No thought went into that picture at all, where real thought was put into these to get them right. 

I don't really want to give up before I've even started but it's starting to seem that it's more difficult to get stuff accepted on Stockimo than it is on the normal stock route. 

I think there needs to be clear guidelines to save a lot of folk from frustration. 

Paul 

Hi Paul,

I agree it is kind of frustrating when we are used to working to criteria and being thoughtful about producing stock, however I think the whole point of stockimo may be to do almost the opposite! The trend and demand for phoneography images is a reaction against overly stocky looking shots and a move towards images that appear more naturally shot and have a feel of realism, warts and all in terms of technical qualities! Alamy are simply responding to commercial demand for the sort of images people shoot with their phones, and may even not want to 'direct' contributors too much for fear of cramping realism.

Alex

Looking at the rating of my accepted images, which of my submissions were rejected, and what's on Stockimo in general:

Submit images to Stockimo if they're both useful and have a certain "iPhone je ne sais quoi."

- Ann

Paul, I have noticed that pictures get rejected if similar item is already available on Alamy or has many samples uploaded on Stockimo. Avoid boring subjects like architecture, landscape or technology. I had a similar shot with a laptop keyboard rejected yesterday. Add more creativity.

A lot of images on Alamy are both technically very good and 'technically' poor.

Technically good: sharp, no noise, no colour cast etc

'Technically' poor: stilted, clichéd, composition doesn't take you anywhere, if you saw it on a page, you wouldn't just forget it, it wouldn't even register in your consciousness, etc etc

With 'technically' we are into a more subjective zone, based more on a consensus about what makes an image actually work.

It seems to me that Alamy, not before time, have started a new kind of QC: images fail because they have poor 'technique'.

• 1 month later...

I thought I'd open this one back up as I'm noticing an increasing number of images on Stockimo with people in them. For the purposes of information, when you upload a picture and it has a person in the shot it asks how many people there are and if you have written permission. That's fine but doesn't ask for a model release anywhere? I t just asks if you have permission. 

At what point is this going to be validated? and should we be keeping signed releases on the back burner in case they are ever asked for? I downloaded an iphone app (paid for) thinking I could just upload a PDF release signed by the model but there was no where to do this. 

I'm a bit confused whether we should be keeping these if needed. 

I thought I'd open this one back up as I'm noticing an increasing number of images on Stockimo with people in them. For the purposes of information, when you upload a picture and it has a person in the shot it asks how many people there are and if you have written permission. That's fine but doesn't ask for a model release anywhere? I t just asks if you have permission. 

At what point is this going to be validated? and should we be keeping signed releases on the back burner in case they are ever asked for? I downloaded an iphone app (paid for) thinking I could just upload a PDF release signed by the model but there was no where to do this. 

What did memberservices say?

dd

What did memberservices say?

dd

I don't think we're meant to bother MS with stockimo enquiries. Just thought there might be a generic reply to that one but it may well need a wee verification email to the stockimo team. 

Just some observations, so far, I've uploaded 39 images, with 9 rejected.

The ones rejected, have been of more obvious stuff eg. 'fish& chips' cafe sign, bistro tables & chairs, a local well known building, general street scene - although all were post processed - to add something interesting, or so I thought...

Interestingly, the one rated '4' was of my cat who was happy to pose against black, but more by luck than judgment...

S02BPM.jpg

I also have some accepted with people in, although not recognisable, eg:

S02JTH.jpg

it's me in the window in the middle, as well as 2 others reflected in the window on the right.

The others, square ones of course, are on my pseudo.

ann

Cool pics Ann. 

Highest I ever got was a 3.2. Mostly just float around 2.3 or 2.7 so to say I'm hanging on is an under statement lol. 

This is my fave pic of mine. A flash of inspiration really. 

S017YN.jpg

I think any time you have a signed release for one of your photos you should keep it, whether Stockimo wants a copy or not. You never know what might arise in the future.

If anyone has any questions about Stockimo I believe support@stockimo.com is the propper channel. I sent them an email in the very beginning and they got back to me in less than a day.

• 2 weeks later...

They are definitely after the more arty types of images as opposed to the regular stock look of Getty  Moment. I have 58 on Stockimo  and around 70 on Getty Moment. I started submitting to both around the same time and learned pretty quickly from the rejects what both were likely to accept and reject. An image accepted at Stockimo is not likely to be accepted at Getty Moment and vice versa, so I have an outlet for both styles!

All non model and property released images are accepted as RM at both Stockimo and Getty Moment.

And which of these fine outlets of imagery is ahead in sales for you, Diane? 

I'm thinking of cutting off the bottom of a Coca Cola bottle and gluing it to a small black cardboard box. (I'll have some other exciting gizmos inside the box, hopefully.) I think the pictures I can take with this setup will be both avant garde and suitably tacky. I want to be part of the In Crowd. I have a pretend stamp I can put on these pics that says Stockimoment. 

:wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

I got a second email from Stockimo last week saying some of my images were still being rejected because I had answered the questions incorrectly. So I re-submitted one in particular that I had originally thought would be accepted, and it was. Maybe there's still hope :P

Paul I think they are good images and probably redoing with a "proper" camera and uploading to Alamy by the usual route.

Allan

I think this seems to hit the nail on the head from what I can see - Alamy dont seem to want relatively straightforward images that are good editorial pictures via stockimo - hence your first second and third images failure. I would have hoped the fourth would have passed, but the other thing is if theres any suggestion of a trade name, logo etc in the image they will reject it. They will also reject it if its been annotated incorrectly.

It seems that several people look at the submitted images and acceptance/rejection is based on the scoring system which is a combination of several peoples ratings at Alamy. I think the highest score you can get is 4.0, and the lowest accepted score seems to be 2.3

I have 66 images currently accepted, and about 25 have been rejected.

There does seem to be a degree of luck, in that some images of signs for example I have sent up have been accepted, and others rejected.

The other thing is that fairly straightforward images have been rejected but the same images resubmitted using image-manipulation apps have then been accepted.

Be interesting to hear which if any image-manipulation apps people are using.

I got a second email from Stockimo last week saying some of my images were still being rejected because I had answered the questions incorrectly. So I re-submitted one in particular that I had originally thought would be accepted, and it was. Maybe there's still hope :P

I got that as well. I think they routinely send it to all who submit images that are rejected. 

I have also got a load of other questions I would like Alamy to answer but I might start another thread - I do think there needs to be a separate Stockimo discussion area on this forum, and the more of us that ask for this the more likely it is to happen. But I suspect that also depends on whether Alamy actually sell any Stockimo images or not....

Kumar

Archived