I was considering on my next sojourn to Toronto, I would take one of the tour buses and see the city from a tourist's point of view. They also have one that combines with tour boat that cruises the Islands as well. Anyone here gone that route and found discoveries they had not thought of?

Jill

I travelled around Shanghai 3 times in one session on the open top tour bus. Once on each side and once from the back, the front had glass in the way otherwise I would have gone around 4 times. The height certainly gives a certain perspective.

Make sure you go around at least once to enjoy the view, it's not all about photography.

Andy

I think its a good idea to take a tour, especially if you visiting a place for the first time.  I know you are familiar with Toronto Jill, even then you'll get the opportunity to visit several of the tourist hot spots in one trip, and perhaps find interesting places you hadn't thought of.

Last summer I took a bus tour while visiting Florida for the first time.  I got some decent photos but I've learned some things for next time. Like making sure it is a hop on hop off bus so there is enough time to take photos.  Make sure it's a highly recommended tour/company that stops at interesting places.  Give yourself some options on when to take the tour.  I had to leave it to the last afternoon of my trip because the weather was bad earlier in the week.  I was on a late afternoon tour, which got us stuck in rush hour (not recommended!).  

Also, (this doesn't apply to Toronto), when I was sitting in the top tier of the double decker tour bus (out in the open, best for taking photos), I kept getting whacked by palm tree branches!  I would change sides, then the driver would go to the other side of the street and I'd be ducking for cover again!  His driving was so bad as well, that I decided it was safer to go down below, to avoid the branches and fearing being jettisoned from the top of the bus   :wacko: ! (after he drove up on the curb a couple times). 

After all that I still recommend a tour, I've been on some really interesting ones in other cities.

I was considering on my next sojourn to Toronto, I would take one of the tour buses and see the city from a tourist's point of view. They also have one that combines with tour boat that cruises the Islands as well. Anyone here gone that route and found discoveries they had not thought of?

Jill

i did this bus tour last year and found that it have a great overview of the city and helped me decide on places that I wished to visit on foot during my short visit. I was able to take photos from the top of the bus and the tour guides were informative and humorous. The boat trip provided good views of the coastline and  architecture.

I considered it to be money well spent.

Eden

I agree. My wife and I travel extensively. We almost always take a tour bus to start with and then decide where we want to go for a closer look. Works most of the time. Most European cities have good value tourist buses but, in Asia, that is not always the case. However, overall, it is usually good value in an unfamiliar city.

The other thing to keep in mind are the guidebooks available such as Lonely Planet. These guides generally give a good background to the features in most obscure places. Unfortunately, you also find that the sites you see are the ones already well covered on stock sites.

We also now look for areas where we can take images of ordinary people doing ordinary things, but with a local flavor.

Ken

I usually do my homework first with guide books, web searches etc. Tour buses have their place, if hop on hop off, particularly if the sights of interest are spaced out and not easily accessible. Can't say for Toronto but found it very useful recently in Budapest. If you are tight for time you can often do a deal with a cab driver at a fraction of the cost and can make him stop when and where it suits you.

dov

The Dublin tour was great value, our driver kept us amused with his patter while he also sang songs, I didn't take any photos though.....

Whilst off the subject, the Guinness brewery visit was a bit of a  disappointment. You actually get to see a brewing museum, rather than the actual brewery, while the eventual pint of the nectar taken at the top of the building, although lovely, tasted just like that I can buy at my local. A case of over expectation I guess.

The Dublin tour was great value, our driver kept us amused with his patter while he also sang songs, I didn't take any photos though.....

Whilst off the subject, the Guinness brewery visit was a bit of a  disappointment. You actually get to see a brewing museum, rather than the actual brewery, while the eventual pint of the nectar taken at the top of the building, although lovely, tasted just like that I can buy at my local. A case of over expectation I guess.

Years ago I visited the Bass brewery in Burton on Trent and it was essentially a computerised lights-out operation - interesting in some ways but disappointing. However I have started working on a Brewery Year photo project at a local craft/micro brewery: Flipside Brewery. Still a challenge as most of the process is in sealed vats or surrounded by steam. I need to understand beer better so I am having to do a lot of research. Tough work but as a professional one has to do it!

Archived