Where are my png. files ending up.

raely

Question

I am new to Alamy and am having a problem upoading transparent background images.

I am using Filezilla to upload and its working well for regular stock images so it's not a Filezilla issue.

When I upload the transparents It all goes thru as normal and it says it was a successful transfer but they never appear in Alamy

I have  waited a couple of weeks but still they don't appear in Alamy.

My transparent .png files and are cutouts from my own photos so are they still classed as stock images.?????

They have been shown in Filezilla as successful transfers so I am thinking that somehow they must have been sent elsewhere.

I'm hoping there is someone that can help me with this.

From the FAQS

Q. What file type do I need to upload?
A. JPEGs, saved as high quality RGB JPEGs (level 8 or above) at baseline standard.

Have a look at Image ID: 2X98DPJ  Looks like you had this selected when you captioned/keyworded your orange juice picture.

Edited by Chris Burrows
  • Like 3

Sorry  i don't understand how this is related to my question about problems uploading png files(images with transparent backgrounds. 

Alamy only accepts jpeg files, not png, so they are throwing your files away. If you persist in breaking the submission rules, you may receive a short upload ban.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, raely said:

Sorry  i don't understand how this is related to my question about problems uploading png files(images with transparent backgrounds. 

They are going into the ether....

You did read how to submit? 🙂

https://www.alamy.com/contributor/how-to-sell-images/guidelines-for-submitting-images/?section=3

• JPEGs
    You can shoot or illustrate in whatever format you like, but you’ll need to submit your images to us as JPEGs.

• Love 1

I don't think I've ever tried to upload the wrong type of file but I suspect that if the conventional uploader is used then there will be a warning that the files are unsuitable and they won't be imported.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, raely said:

I would have expected a thank you to someone pointing out you have the wrong keywords... Hence no chance of a sale.

And by the way, 2X0FAKC is not "Butcherbird Grey". It's a Grey Butcherbird, Cracticus torquatus.You need the Latin name for wildlife.

It's obvious that you've done zero reading on how to submit and not appreciating contributors' help. While you have only 7 images uploaded, I would pause and read contributors guidelines. The forum is a mine of information too. Don't rush to upload, get it right first time. Too much work to correct it later.

Edited by gvallee
  • Love 2
  • Like 2

Anything submitted as a photo must be a jpg.  I have one illustration on Alamy and for the life of me can't remember if I uploaded it as a png or a jpg.  I know did it as a png.  But I think Illustrations and vectors must be uploaded via web as you have to pick that category when uploading.  Your image would be classified as an illustration.

It doesn't say in the help area what formats to use, but illustrations are usually pngs as transparent backgrounds are wanted by customers. Try uploading via web and choose illustratioin and see if it goes that way.

And people here are just trying to help you.  They are all very knowledgeable and want to see new contributors do well.

Jill

22 minutes ago, Jill Morgan said:

I have one illustration on Alamy and for the life of me can't remember if I uploaded it as a png or a jpg

You should be able to see this in AIM underneath the 'Enlarge' view. I owe the OP an apology for jumping to conclusions if you are able to upload png files as illustrations and it makes sense that you should be able to with transparent backgrounds.  So do Alamy because they don't seem to mention it anywhere.

3 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

You should be able to see this in AIM underneath the 'Enlarge' view. I owe the OP an apology for jumping to conclusions if you are able to upload png files as illustrations and it makes sense that you should be able to with transparent backgrounds.  So do Alamy because they don't seem to mention it anywhere.

Seems I did upload it as a jpg.  So maybe Alamy won't take pngs.  Or maybe like the vectors you have to upload both a png and a jpeg.  That's a good question for support.

They should. for illustrations graphic artists want a transparent background.  For simple art it is easy to remove, but some complex stuff can be more challenging to remove perfectly, so transparent is preferred.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Steve F said:

Sorry Raely. What are you trying to upload? stock, illustration, or vectors?

He is trying to upload a cutout of one of his images with a transparent background.  Seems Alamy doesn't like that.  Have to be jpgs unless vectors which go in a separate folder in your ftp upload.

On 24/06/2024 at 01:03, raely said:

I am new to Alamy and am having a problem upoading transparent background images.

I am using Filezilla to upload and its working well for regular stock images so it's not a Filezilla issue.

When I upload the transparents It all goes thru as normal and it says it was a successful transfer but they never appear in Alamy

I have  waited a couple of weeks but still they don't appear in Alamy.

My transparent .png files and are cutouts from my own photos so are they still classed as stock images.?????

They have been shown in Filezilla as successful transfers so I am thinking that somehow they must have been sent elsewhere.

I'm hoping there is someone that can help me with this.

Rae, 

I would suggest starting from scratch and reading the submission guidelines.  Your IPTC (Captions and Keywords) are hopeless as well.

Chuck

Thank you all for the warm welcome into Alamy

Chris Burrows - Thankyou for letting me know about the orange juice keywords. I have been busy building my new computer so have neglected to answer you.  I don't know how this happened but orange juice has keywords belonging to Dingo and vice versa. They weren't posted at the same time.

DJ Myford  - Thanks for the tip that I may end up receiving a short upload ban If I keep trying to upload 

Steve F - I did read "how to submit" but there's nothing in there that covers transparent background images.  In fact I have a whoe folder of alamy guidelines - Tips o what to shoot - what people want etc etc. I have also researched a lot on how to choose good keywords.

Harry Harrison - Finally someone who knows what I,m talking about. Thanks Harry.

gvallee - I really mucked up didn't. How stupid of me to Caption Butcher Bird Grey instead of Grey Butcherbird.   I'm an aussie so i should know better.  I am very familiar with Butcherbirds as I used to have the grey Butcherbirds as visitors until the Pied Butcherbirds family  moved in.  Now the Pieds dominate even the magpies. I feed them meal worms evry day and they reward me with their beautiful songs..

Jill Morgan - Thank you Jill . Another person who knows what I am talking about.  By the way I am female Rae -  Male is Ray

Chuck Nacke - Good advice .  My captions and keywords are rubbish so I will strive to create better ones from now on

Mr Standfast - Dare I say sorry but I don't understand.  What is RTM If Its Read The Manual I have.

Now ,  I would like you all to Jump into Alamy and do a search.   "Transparent Backgrounds".   And VOLIA there they are.   The big question is how did they get there.

From my research I have discovered that Alamy is encouraging people to do these transparent backgrounds due to the fact that clients are asking for them.

I am sure gvallee that you are right and the Forum is a wealth of information.  But everyone one who is giving information should always make sure it is the correct information.

Rae

• Love 1

7 minutes ago, raely said:

Chris Burrows - Thankyou for letting me know about the orange juice keywords. I have been busy building my new computer so have neglected to answer you.  I don't know how this happened but orange juice has keywords belonging to Dingo and vice versa. They weren't posted at the same time.

DJ Myford  - Thanks for the tip that I may end up receiving a short upload ban If I keep trying to upload 

Steve F - I did read "how to submit" but there's nothing in there that covers transparent background images.  In fact I have a whoe folder of alamy guidelines - Tips o what to shoot - what people want etc etc. I have also researched a lot on how to choose good keywords.

Harry Harrison - Finally someone who knows what I,m talking about. Thanks Harry.

gvallee - I really mucked up didn't. How stupid of me to Caption Butcher Bird Grey instead of Grey Butcherbird.   I'm an aussie so i should know better.  I am very familiar with Butcherbirds as I used to have the grey Butcherbirds as visitors until the Pied Butcherbirds family  moved in.  Now the Pieds dominate even the magpies. I feed them meal worms evry day and they reward me with their beautiful songs..

Jill Morgan - Thank you Jill . Another person who knows what I am talking about.  By the way I am female Rae -  Male is Ray

Chuck Nacke - Good advice .  My captions and keywords are rubbish so I will strive to create better ones from now on

Mr Standfast - Dare I say sorry but I don't understand.  What is RTM If Its Read The Manual I have.

Now ,  I would like you all to Jump into Alamy and do a search.   "Transparent Backgrounds".   And VOLIA there they are.   The big question is how did they get there.

From my research I have discovered that Alamy is encouraging people to do these transparent backgrounds due to the fact that clients are asking for them.

I am sure gvallee that you are right and the Forum is a wealth of information.  But everyone one who is giving information should always make sure it is the correct information.

Rae

This seems to be a subject very few of us know anything about. I certainly don't. I suggest emailing contributors@alamy.com.  You will get an automated response that probably won't answer your question but they will get back to you. Alamy is pretty responsive to our problems but the recent problems with the website have probably overwhelmed them.

Paulette

• Like 1

Thanks Paulette.   I will definetly follow this up.  When I get an answer I will post it so that everyone is in the know.

Rae

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, raely said:

Rae

* VOILA * 

I see you made no mention of my advice to add Latin name for wildlife, which was good advice and has been asked repeatedly by Alamy.

And by the way, if a buyer does a search using quotes "Grey Butcherbird" as it's called, your 'Butcherbird grey' will not be found.

Hey ho! Trying to help but no cigar. Good luck!

Edited by gvallee

Thankyou for that advice about the Latin name.  After reading all the answers to my question I assumed it was another snide remark. I checked and I see that everyone else is posting the latin names so I appreciate this and will now include them at all times.   

As of today I have terminated my account with Alamy .  

4 hours ago, raely said:

the latin names so I appreciate this and will now include them at all times.   

4 hours ago, raely said:

As of today I have terminated my account with Alamy

Why add the Latin names if you are terminating the account 

Everyone above has given good advice 

It's constructive comments to help

Out of curiosity sent the following to alamy....

"I had several .png files some time ago which I planned to upload to Alamy but could find no mention of you accepting these so in the end uploaded as .jpg

I see that there are several pictures on Alamy that are captioned as being .png images and that they have transparent backgrounds for example 2KAC4H5
Do you accept .png files and if so are they then supplied to customers as .png with transparent backgrounds, and is there some special way required to upload them."

I recived the following reply.....
"We do not accept PNG files, only JPG files will work via our upload tool.

As for the example you’ve shown it’s highly likely that it’s not an actual PNG and the contributor has miscaptioned the image."

Chris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris Burrows said:

"I had several .png files some time ago which I planned to upload to Alamy but could find no mention of you accepting these so in the end uploaded as .jpg

I see that there are several pictures on Alamy that are captioned as being .png images and that they have transparent backgrounds for example 2KAC4H5
Do you accept .png files and if so are they then supplied to customers as .png with transparent backgrounds, and is there some special way required to upload them."

As for the example you’ve shown it’s highly likely that it’s not an actual PNG and the contributor has miscaptioned the image."

Chris

Good detective work!

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Chris Burrows said:

Chris

The only images I found with true transparent backgrounds were vectors.

Jill

• Like 1

It is easy to make a clipping path in Photoshop which will be preserved in JPG and make a clip whenever this image inserted into a text or whatever using a software which knows how to deal with clipping paths. Most of my cutout images have a clipping path in them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IKuzmin said:

It is easy to make a clipping path in Photoshop which will be preserved in JPG and make a clip whenever this image inserted into a text or whatever using a software which knows how to deal with clipping paths. Most of my cutout images have a clipping path in them.

Fascinating. I didn't know that jpgs supported that feature. I wondered how it's done so I asked ChatGPT which replied that  the clipping path is stored in the image metadata. I don't know if that's right or not. But, if it is, do you know if Alamy preserve the clipping path when they strip some of the metadata and compress our uploaded files?

Update: I just created an image with a path in PS and saved it as a jpg. Looking at the EXIF data I can see that the Path info is stored in the Photoshop metadata section. So, the key question is:- Do Alamy preserve this metadata?  If so that's really useful.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman