June 2024 Favourite Uploads

Posted (edited)

Two tiki statues in the small scenic village of Omoa, Fatu Iva, Marquesas Islands, French Polynesia

2X9HCM1.jpg

Outline of two Tiki statues at sunset in the small scenic village of Omoa, Fatu Iva, Marquesas Islands, French Polynesia

2X9HCP1.jpg

Tiki statues in the ceremonial grounds of the small scenic village of Omoa, Fatu Iva, Marquesas Islands, French Polynesia

2X9HCPX.jpg

Arguably the most scenic bay in the world, loved by yachties from all over the world, Hanavave in Fatu Iva, Marquesas Islands, French Polynesia

2X9HCYJ.jpg

2X9HD5H.jpg

Hands holding a traditional scented, floral headdress or Umu Hei, Fatu Iva, Marquesas Islands, French Polynesia.

Ingredients are pineapple dusted in ginger, vetiver, mint, ylang ylang, tiare, myrrh, ginger

2X9HCW2.jpg

Polynesian lady making a traditional Umu Hei headdress, Fatu Iva, Marquesas Islands, French Polynesia

2X9HCTC.jpg

Two persons standing on a sandy beach by a turquoise lagoon, Maupiti Island, French Polynesia

2X9HC9P.jpg

Traditional Polynesian Canoe at Hiva Oa, Marquesas Islands, French Polynesia

2X9HF36.jpg

Paul Gauguin's grave at Atuana cemetery, Hiva Oa, Marquesas Islands, French Polynesia

I hope that the Alamy watermark placement is not a sign...

2X9HF2T.jpg

Inter-island ferry moored at Hiva Oa, Marquesas Islands, French Polynesia

2X9HF5G.jpg

Ceremonial grounds with Tiki statues at Atuana, Hiva Oa, Marquesas Islands, French Polynesia

2X9HBGR.jpg

Edited by gvallee
  • Love 3
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, gvallee said:

Two tiki statues in the small scenic village of Omoa, Fatu Iva, Marquesas Islands, French Polynesia

2X9HCM1.jpg

Outline of two Tiki statues at sunset in the small scenic village of Omoa, Fatu Iva, Marquesas Islands, French Polynesia

2X9HCP1.jpg

Tiki statues in the ceremonial grounds of the small scenic village of Omoa, Fatu Iva, Marquesas Islands, French Polynesia

2X9HCPX.jpg

Arguably the most scenic bay in the world, loved by yachties from all over the world, Hanavave in Fatu Iva, Marquesas Islands, French Polynesia

2X9HCYJ.jpg

2X9HD5H.jpg

Hands holding a traditional scented, floral headdress or Umu Hei, Fatu Iva, Marquesas Islands, French Polynesia.

Ingredients are pineapple dusted in ginger, vetiver, mint, ylang ylang, tiare, myrrh, ginger

2X9HCW2.jpg

Polynesian lady making a traditional Umu Hei headdress, Fatu Iva, Marquesas Islands, French Polynesia

2X9HCTC.jpg

Two persons standing on a sandy beach by a turquoise lagoon, Maupiti Island, French Polynesia

2X9HC9P.jpg

Traditional Polynesian Canoe at Hiva Oa, Marquesas Islands, French Polynesia

2X9HF36.jpg

Paul Gauguin's grave at Atuana cemetery, Hiva Oa, Marquesas Islands, French Polynesia

I hope that the Alamy watermark placement is not a sign...

2X9HF2T.jpg

Inter-island ferry moored at Hiva Oa, Marquesas Islands, French Polynesia

2X9HF5G.jpg

Ceremonial grounds with Tiki statues at Atuana, Hiva Oa, Marquesas Islands, French Polynesia

2X9HBGR.jpg

These are wonderful to see Gen. It gives me a sense of the place. I love the food images that look so fresh and the rugged looking hills. They would be great tourism images and hopefully will license well.

A few from me...

Juggling with fire.

canadian-circus-artists-quatuor-stomp-pe

Solving rubiks cubes acrobatically.

A head balancing on another head.

An ant with two heads 😲

an-ant-with-two-heads-camponotus-dryandr

A Clerid Beetle on a sundew flower.

a-clerid-beetle-eleale-aulicodes-on-the-

Edited by Sally Robertson
spelling mistake
  • Love 2
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Sally Robertson said:

These are wonderful to see Gen. It gives me a sense of the place. I love the food images that look so fresh and the rugged looking hills. They would be great tourism images and hopefully will license.

Thank you Sally, but food images?? Do you mean the floral headdresses? 😁

35 minutes ago, gvallee said:

Thank you Sally, but food images?? Do you mean the floral headdresses? 😁

How embarrassing, I thought they were salads with fresh herbs and greens and edible flowers 🤦‍♀️

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sally Robertson said:

How embarrassing, I thought they were salads with fresh herbs and greens and edible flowers 🤦‍♀️

It could have been, looks like salad. The Lady put it in my hair on a chignon. The headdress last two,days if you leave it overnight in a little water. To be honest, I found the smell overpowering and slightly sickening. The mixture of all those aroma was a little too much for me. There were some women wearing them on a small plane. Oh no! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gvallee said:

It could have been, looks like salad. The Lady put it in my hair on a chignon. The headdress last two,days if you leave it overnight in a little water. To be honest, I found the smell overpowering and slightly sickening. The mixture of all those aroma was a little too much for me. There were some women wearing them on a small plane. Oh no! 

I should have read your captions properly. They look so lovely and the ingredients so fresh. I can imagine they would have a strong aroma. I imagine in the tropics too that aromas may be stronger in the warm, humid climate and then intensified more in the confines of a small plane! It’s lovely to see those images of people practising culture.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Here's a few travel pics from a recent trip to Rhodes, Greece.

A roadside seller with his scooter loaded with green chickpeas. He gave us a few to try and they taste similar to normal peas when the plants are young, like this.

2X96MT2.jpg

A close up of the chickpea scooter. My wife told me she'd rolled her eyes at the seller whilst I was taking this. He just shrugged his shoulders and laughed.

2X96MH2.jpg

This was my first attempt at panning a moving vehicle at night. A few weeks before our trip I'd seen some excellent, similar, shots taken by another Bristol photographer so I did a bit of research and thought I'd have a go. Its not easy. YouTube said to use the camera in manual mode set at iso800, 1/30sec at f5.6. The images from the first evening, on those settings, were just to dark so for the second night I used the same settings, but with the iso on auto. That worked out much better and Topaz sorted out the noise.  

2X96N2P.jpg

Authentic Greek Orange cake. Its made with Filo (phyllo) pastry, rather than flour, and soaked in an orange syrup. 

2X96N37.jpg

We stopped and spoke with this guy on our last trip so we returned with doughnuts for him and his gang this time. We left with one of those large watermelons he insisted on giving us. I nearly always ask before taking pictures of people in situations like this. I rarely get anyone saying no and as result we've had some fantastic interactions with people which have added to the holiday experience. 

2X96MYW.jpg

2X96N15.jpg

I've sold two cat pics this month, one of them from a previous visit to Rhodes. I'm hoping the same for this shot.

2X96MNE.jpg

Edited by Steve Hyde
  • Love 4

20 hours ago, Steve Hyde said:

Here's a few travel pics from a recent trip to Rhodes, Greece.

A roadside seller with his scooter loaded with green chickpeas. He gave us a few to try and they taste similar to normal peas when the plants are young, like this.

2X96MT2.jpg

A close up of the chickpea scooter. My wife told me she'd rolled her eyes at the seller whilst I was taking this. He just shrugged his shoulders and laughed.

2X96MH2.jpg

This was my first attempt at panning a moving vehicle at night. A few weeks before our trip I'd seen some excellent, similar, shots taken by another Bristol photographer so I did a bit of research and thought I'd have a go. Its not easy. YouTube said to use the camera in manual mode set at iso800, 1/30sec at f5.6. The images from the first evening, on those settings, were just to dark so for the second night I used the same settings, but with the iso on auto. That worked out much better and Topaz sorted out the noise.  

2X96N2P.jpg

Authentic Greek Orange cake. Its made with Filo (phyllo) pastry, rather than flour, and soaked in an orange syrup. 

2X96N37.jpg

We stopped and spoke with this guy on our last trip so we returned with doughnuts for him and his gang this time. We left with one of those large watermelons he insisted on giving us. I nearly always ask before taking pictures of people in situations like this. I rarely get anyone saying no and as result we've had some fantastic interactions with people which have added to the holiday experience. 

2X96MYW.jpg

2X96N15.jpg

I've sold two cat pics this month, one of them from a previous visit to Rhodes. I'm hoping the same for this shot.

2X96MNE.jpg

Really like your images Steve and I've always liked panned shots. I have a photo I kept from a calendar I had as a child of a horse galloping that was panned on a film camera. It has a mystical quality to it, something about capturing motion. In 2010, shortly after getting my first DSLR, I was by a lake when an ibis came in to land. My camera was on 1/80 second in overcast conditions and I didn't have time to change anything. I just instinctively panned. Without really knowing what I was doing back then I ended up with this painting-like image of this ibis with wings outstretched landing. It looks a bit like a Japanese painting. I could possibly upload it here. Thank you for sharing the images of Rhodes. I love getting to know places in the world through people sharing their images. The Greek Orange cake looks absolutely delicious.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Sally Robertson said:

Really like your images Steve and I've always liked panned shots. I have a photo I kept from a calendar I had as a child of a horse galloping that was panned on a film camera. It has a mystical quality to it, something about capturing motion. In 2010, shortly after getting my first DSLR, I was by a lake when an ibis came in to land. My camera was on 1/80 second in overcast conditions and I didn't have time to change anything. I just instinctively panned. Without really knowing what I was doing back then I ended up with this painting-like image of this ibis with wings outstretched landing. It looks a bit like a Japanese painting. I could possibly upload it here. Thank you for sharing the images of Rhodes. I love getting to know places in the world through people sharing their images. The Greek Orange cake looks absolutely delicious.

Hey Sally, I'm with you on the panned shots. One of my favourite photography books is this Getty Sports images book

Very Good, Visions of Sport, Getty Images, Book - Picture 1 of 1

Like the top image, on the book cover, lots of the photos I really like are the panned images of athletes moving. Its something I'm not that skilled in but I enjoyed trying on holiday. The Bristol photographer, who I saw selling his images in Bristol was Dean Packer (Dean Packer Photography). His shots around Tokyo of vehicles moving is what prompted me to give it a go. I particularly like his Crepe Delivery Van shot. He had a large print of it on his market stall and it looked fantastic. I like to think we'll get to Japan one day. If we do I'll make sure I'm a panning Jedi before we go. BTW, you need to share your panned Ibis image :)

Again, like you, I like looking through travel shots. To get a few ideas I always search through Alamy and a few other sites to check out photo locations, if we're going to somewhere new, like Marrakesh last year. 

That Greek Orange Cake is lovely. It has an unexpected texture because its made with Filo Pastry rather than flour. If you're into baking its worth giving a go. Drying the flio and breaking it up is a faff but its not a difficult recipe. My efforts were similar to the authentic pie we had in Rhodes. Here's a recipe I've used before:

Traditional Greek Orange Cake with Syrup (Portokalopita) - My Greek Dish

Edited by Steve Hyde
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Steve Hyde said:

Hey Sally, I'm with you on the panned shots. One of my favourite photography books is this Getty Sports images book

Very Good, Visions of Sport, Getty Images, Book - Picture 1 of 1

Like the top image, on the book cover, lots of the photos I really like are the panned images of athletes moving. Its something I'm not that skilled in but I enjoyed trying on holiday. The Bristol photographer, who I saw selling his images in Bristol was Dean Packer (Dean Packer Photography). His shots around Tokyo of vehicles moving is what prompted me to give it a go. I particularly like his Crepe Delivery Van shot. He had a large print of it on his market stall and it looked fantastic. I like to think we'll get to Japan one day. If we do I'll make sure I'm a panning Jedi before we go. BTW, you need to share your panned Ibis image :)

Again, like you, I like looking through travel shots. To get a few ideas I always search through Alamy and a few other sites to check out photo locations, if we're going to somewhere new, like Marrakesh last year. 

That Greek Orange Cake is lovely. It has an unexpected texture because its made with Filo Pastry rather than flour. If you're into baking its worth giving a go. Drying the flio and breaking it up is a faff but its not a difficult recipe. My efforts were similar to the authentic pie we had in Rhodes. Here's a recipe I've used before:

Traditional Greek Orange Cake with Syrup (Portokalopita) - My Greek Dish

Wow Steve those Dean Packer images are just wonderful! I particularly liked the Tron Biker image in his Kyoto photos, a great example of using panning. All of his images are amazing. I would absolutely love to visit Japan. There is everything from amazing urban scapes to the beautiful historical buildings, the wild of the north in Hokkaido and all the way south some of the longest lived people in the world in Okinawa. I learned Japanese in high school and I had a lovely Japanese student stay with me when I was 16. So I've long had a feeling I'd like to go there. It would be such an interesting country to explore with so many different kinds of photographic opportunities. I will go and dig into my old hard drive attached to my old computer and find my ibis image.

Thank you so much for the Traditional Greek Orange Cake recipe. I will definitely give it a go. When I saw your photo it made me think of baclava. I love food from that part of the world.

• Love 1

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Does anyone know what this white foam at high tide on the River Mersey is? 

2X92369.jpg

If not just sea foam from wave action it's detergent from the drains (and potentially sewers- there are a lot of overflows). Not good. Shouldn't be there, but is.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

Road works tractor with loader and backhoe

road-works-tractor-with-loader-and-backh

Fiskerton road closed to traffic for roadworks, Cherry Willingham, Lincoln, Lincolnshire, England, UK

fiskerton-road-closed-to-traffic-for-roa

Access to Fiskerton road closed due to roadworks, Cherry Willingham, Lincoln, Lincolnshire, England, UK

access-to-fiskerton-road-closed-due-to-r

Highway maintenance operative seting up barriers to close road off, Cherry Willingham, Lincoln, Lincolnshire, England, UK

highway-maintenance-operative-seting-up-

Allan

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Some older images I just uploaded.

Prayer wheels in Paro, Bhutan.

colourful-prayer-wheels-at-kyichu-lhakha

Fresh produce in Paro Sunday Market, Bhutan.

colourful-fresh-produce-for-sale-at-the-

Banksia tree in silhouette at sunset at Kogolup Lake, Western Australia.

a-banksia-tree-in-silhouette-at-sunset-w

Wheat field in the golden light of the setting sun, Wongan Hills, Western Australia.

golden-light-on-a-wheat-field-at-sunset-

Sunrise at Lake Gwelup, Western Australia.

mist-illuminated-by-the-sun-rising-off-l

A Striated Pardalote. Every now and then the Alamy watermark frustratingly interferes with the image. It would be great if there was an option to roll it left or right so it isn't on top of the eye or face of an animal or person.

a-striated-pardalote-pardalotus-striatus

• Like 3

Openreach engineer working on wiring in manhole, Church Lane, Cherry Willingham, Lincoln, Lincolnshire, England, UK

openreach-engineer-working-on-wiring-in-

Storm clouds gathering over Cherry Willingham, Lincoln, Lincolnshire, England, UK

storm-clouds-gathering-over-cherry-willi

Car turning round due to road closure, Cherry Willingham, Lincoln, Lincolnshire, England, UK

car-turning-round-due-to-road-closure-ch

Allan

• Like 1

This is my last batch of French Polynesia. Being the trip of a lifetime and very unlikely to be repeated due to distance and cost, strangely enough, I was not very motivated to take pix while there. I guess I was so wowed by the place, I wanted to enjoy it.

I ended up with only 170 or so. So be it. The trip had to be pleasure, not work.

Papeete, Tahiti - A renowned bakery/cake shop

2XB15XW.jpg

2XB15X8.jpg

2XB161J.jpg

2XB1635.jpg

Bora Bora

2XB16N1.jpg

2XB16T0.jpg

Tourists on a snorkeling tour on Bora Bora lagoon

2XB16Y9.jpg

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, gvallee said:

This is my last batch of French Polynesia. Being the trip of a lifetime and very unlikely to be repeated due to distance and cost, strangely enough, I was not very motivated to take pix while there. I guess I was so wowed by the place, I wanted to enjoy it.

I ended up with only 170 or so. So be it. The trip had to be pleasure, not work.

Papeete, Tahiti - A renowned bakery/cake shop

2XB15XW.jpg

2XB15X8.jpg

2XB161J.jpg

2XB1635.jpg

Bora Bora

2XB16N1.jpg

2XB16T0.jpg

Tourists on a snorkeling tour on Bora Bora lagoon

2XB16Y9.jpg

Gen, I particularly love that second last image. It looks like a sunset snorkel? I have been snorkelling at sunset before and found it an absolutely magical, peaceful time. I’m glad you enjoyed your trip.

2 minutes ago, Sally Robertson said:

Gen, I particularly love that second last image. It looks like a sunset snorkel? I have been snorkelling at sunset before and found it an absolutely magical, peaceful time. I’m glad you enjoyed your trip.

Glad you think that Sally, buyers might fall for it but... sky replacement... Some will hate it, some will like it, I let the buyers decide. I like it and it cost me nothing. It was that or bin the pic.

My problem with the original sky was that there was water on the GoPro housing showing like marbles on the sky. Plus for some reason, the sky from the GoPro had a strong magenta cast. I spent some time working on it but was not happy with the results. So here we go, I'm bracing myself to hear comments 'what an horror!'. Never mind, I find it punchy.

7 minutes ago, gvallee said:

Glad you think that Sally, buyers might fall for it but... sky replacement... Some will hate it, some will like it, I let the buyers decide. I like it and it cost me nothing. It was that or bin the pic.

My problem with the original sky was that there was water on the GoPro housing showing like marbles on the sky. Plus for some reason, the sky from the GoPro had a strong magenta cast. I spent some time working on it but was not happy with the results. So here we go, I'm bracing myself to hear comments 'what an horror!'. Never mind, I find it punchy.

Well, I think it does look nice. I did wonder about the lighting in the water which looked more like brighter daylight, but I thought that might be light coming from a boat you were on. I am looking at the small screen of my phone at present, but I do find it appealing so hopefully it might be from a buyer perspective.

It brought back memories of sunset snorkelling for me. I remember how peaceful the fish seemed at that time of day and the last rays of light coming through the water just before the sunset. So the image gave me nice memories even if it wasn’t quite the time of day I thought it was.

• Love 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Sally Robertson said:

Well, I think it does look nice. I did wonder about the lighting in the water which looked more like brighter daylight, but I thought that might be light coming from a boat you were on. I am looking at the small screen of my phone at present, but I do find it appealing so hopefully it might be from a buyer perspective.

It brought back memories of sunset snorkelling for me. I remember how peaceful the fish seemed at that time of day and the last rays of light coming through the water just before the sunset. So the image gave me nice memories even if it wasn’t quite the time of day I thought it was.

We met two young couples who went diving with sharks at night. One of them showed me his GoPro footage. Wow wow wow! You MUST not flicker your head torch not to provoke the shark. He was holding his GoPro close to his chest not to offer his hand as tapa. The shark still nudged him on the arm. There were dozens of them!

Edited by gvallee
  • Love 1