Sora from Open AI - it gets scarier all the time

I see stuff posted on my facebook feed which is obviously AI generated (the skin tones are too perfect is one clue). Videos are easier to spot but as the bloke is saying, they will get even better. Voice fakes are perhaps more concerning and too many people are willing to believe

8 minutes ago, Robert M Estall said:

I see stuff posted on my facebook feed which is obviously AI generated (the skin tones are too perfect is one clue). Videos are easier to spot but as the bloke is saying, they will get even better. Voice fakes are perhaps more concerning and too many people are willing to believe

Dare I suggest that part of the problem is having a FB feed?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robert M Estall said:

I have noticed that a lot of people are really bad at spotting what, to me, are very clearly AI-generated images. Too willing to believe, like you say. But of course that's only going to be more the case as the AI improves. 

• Like 1

There was a report on this today on Good Morning America, showing this same model walking down the sidewalk. They focused on her legs, and one leg ghosted through the other at lower calf/ankle. Considering how much AI has improved in 1 year, soon it might be perfected. 
There will be a lot of creative people put out of work when 1 person can deliver the goods through AI that used to take a handful of people to deliver it.

But that’s been the way through the past, when machines began doing the work of men. Just employ a few people who know how to run the machines & fix them when they inevitably break down.

My son oversees the overseers (he’s the executive boss) who run the floor of people running machines in manufacturing.

Creatives are in trouble, but that’s only the tip of the iceberg when real people can be made to look like they are doing something wrong or deceptive. 

• Like 1

There will be some great things that come from A.I., such as in the medical field.  A.I. may be better at diagnosing illnesses.  But I am not thrilled with A.I. taking over and replacing all sorts of art forms.  Just as fast food and processed food has made human less healthy, A.I. may make the next generation far lazier, mentally.  I have a friend who has ChatGPT write all kinds of things for him.  I find it very sad for the future but I guess that is just me sounding old.

• Like 2

ChatGPT is great for brainstorming. It comes up with some good ideas and some good ones, but I figure out which are which and how to use them. Not so keen on having it write everything for me. Especially not so keen on my students having it write everything for them, though surprisingly, at least as far as I can tell, that hasn't been too much of a problem, yet. 

11 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Just as fast food and processed food has made human less healthy, A.I. may make the next generation far lazier, mentally.

Yes, but those of us who eschew fast food ( rather than chew it 🙂) can easily tell the difference and can obtain good quality food anywhere and everywhere. It looks as though the same will not be true of AI.

Alan

• Love 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

There will be some great things that come from A.I., such as in the medical field.  A.I. may be better at diagnosing illnesses.  But I am not thrilled with A.I. taking over and replacing all sorts of art forms.  Just as fast food and processed food has made human less healthy, A.I. may make the next generation far lazier, mentally.  I have a friend who has ChatGPT write all kinds of things for him.  I find it very sad for the future but I guess that is just me sounding old.

I read somewhere that it should be good at letting us know what is really happening with our climate. Maybe without a political overlay? One can hope.

Paulette

• Love 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Inchiquin said:

Yes, but those of us who eschew fast food ( rather than chew it 🙂) can easily tell the difference and can obtain good quality food anywhere and everywhere. It looks as though the same will not be true of AI.

Alan

I'm talking about people not using their own critical thinking, but instead, letting A.I. do the thinking and reasoning for them.  Young people today can barely spell, with spell check and auto correct doing that for them.

19 minutes ago, NYCat said:

I read somewhere that it should be good at letting us know what is really happening with our climate. Maybe without a political overlay? One can hope.

Paulette

Yes, there are good applications for A.I., for sure.  Quantum computing is also becoming very helpful in weather predictions. 

2 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

And speaking of A.I., I just got an email from a local business asking me if I can do "Virtual/A.I. headshots" of people not at that location.   What the???  I'm getting closer to hanging up the camera.  

They're misusing the term. It just sounds like they want someone composited in- even I've done that. As long as you can match the lighting and get paid for the extra work.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

I'm talking about people not using their own critical thinking, but instead, letting A.I. do the thinking and reasoning for them.  Young people today can barely spell, with spell check and auto correct doing that for them.

They are not taught cursive anymore and I am losing it from never using it. Now when I want to it doesn't flow. My fingers don't remember.

Paulette

• Love 1

1 hour ago, NYCat said:

They are not taught cursive anymore and I am losing it from never using it. Now when I want to it doesn't flow. My fingers don't remember.

Paulette

I seem to remember hearing a claim that over 30% of college students can't read cursive writing. My handwriting has gotten so bad now that I tend to print most of the time. Hopefully I won't eventually forget how to sign my name. 🙃

• Love 1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Hopefully I won't eventually forget how to sign my name. 🙃

Back in 1985 I did a business mailshot and signed 1200 letters in quick succession. It fried my brain and since then I've faltered every time over my signature and it's never the same twice. So far I haven't been done for fraud - fingers crossed.

Alan

7 hours ago, Inchiquin said:

Back in 1985 I did a business mailshot and signed 1200 letters in quick succession. It fried my brain and since then I've faltered every time over my signature and it's never the same twice. So far I haven't been done for fraud - fingers crossed.

Alan

I have the same problem. So far so good, though. I haven't had any cheques bounce (yet). My handwriting is now a weird mixture of printing and cursive.

I use a bullet journal and it's been great but as time goes on and I want to re-read some notes I often struggle to read my own handwriting. The nuns who taught me just be spinning in their graves as I used to get commendations for my penmanship. So, I've taken to mostly printing too so it's legible if it's something I might need to refer to later.