No longer for me....

krutopimages

Question

As much as I hate to admit it, Alamy was a mistake I made....maybe my stuff was not up to the standard I thought. I have found the selection method perhaps the most frustrating practice I have ever encountered. Amazing thing, both my wife and I have sat on $49.00 & $49.50 outstanding waiting for one more sale for months before we are entitled to a payout- Alamy will justify this of course....but there are other agencies that do not freeze or fail maybe 50 plus uploads because maybe one does not meet their criteria!!! It's a rort and I for one have had enough.

Good luck to all contributors....but I do hope others voice their dissatisfaction with a company that is so frustrating....imagine how many contributors are sitting just below the "$50" magical amount for some pathetic payout and how Alamy benefits by never letting you achieve a menial goal.

Edited by krutopimages
misspelt
  • Like 3
  • Dislike 3

6 hours ago, gvallee said:

I didn't explain myself very well, as usual. I meant why did he bother to post if he was going to just slam the door and not read anything. It makes me sad for you good people trying to help.

Happy skiing! 31C here today, no chance of snow!

When will we see those crabs? Was it wonderful?

Paulette

38 minutes ago, Inchiquin said:

Bad timing. These days I can't afford to buy a bottle of gin just for the occasional G&T, but yesterday I spotted some gin & tonic flavour chocolate in my local store. Unfortunately, although the chocolate is nice it doesn't really taste of anything and I wouldn't have known it was meant to be G&T but for the label 🤕

Alan

Funny you should say that. On mainland Australia, a bottle of gin costs from A$40. We're just back from Christmas Island (also Australia but closer to Indonesia) where there is no tax on alcohol. A bottle of gin there costs A$14. We brought back two bottles 😀

We don't like pre-mixed drinks and cocktails they sell in bottle shops, they are very weak. We make our own cocktails: margaritas, caipirinhas, caipirioskas, G&Ts.

2 minutes ago, NYCat said:

When will we see those crabs? Was it wonderful?

Paulette

Thank you for asking. I have started the mammoth task of selecting the keepers, putting crabs and birds in separate folders by species. I should start uploading in the next few days. Hubby is also fighting for the laptop 😀

I will give more details in a more appropriate thread, probably in Favourite images but in a nutshell, the migration was a false start as it stopped raining after two days. It was perfect for us though as we still saw a good number and not all roads were closed. This allowed me to concentrate on birds which were incredible. Watch this space...

20 hours ago, gvallee said:

Come and visit, 'I'll throw a shrimp on the barbie for you'. Rings a bell?

I think my days of international jetsetting are probably over. And I'm afraid a shrimp on the barbie is not an enticing prospect for a vegan... 😏

Alan

• Love 1

Just now, Inchiquin said:

I think my days of international jetsetting are probably over. And I'm afraid a shrimp on the barbie is not an enticing prospect for a vegan... 😏

Alan

Oh well, I tried 😁

On 02/12/2023 at 06:46, Alexander Hogg said:

I'll be back to Australia

was there 14+ nights in '14;
didn't once get that upside down sensation
everyone always talks about -- not a single time;
(same thing Buenos Aires)
quite disappointed, was looking forward to it;
but was amazed how residents took their food unseasoned;
those that tried to season had layers of seasoning on their ceilings...
Edited by Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:
was there 15+ nights in 2015;
didn't once get that upside down sensation
everyone always talks about -- not a single time;
(same thing Buenos Aires)
quite disappointed, was looking forward to it;
but was amazed how residents took their food unseasoned;
those that tried to season had layers of seasoning on their ceilings...

I thought it was the toilet water swirling...

• Like 1

On 05/12/2023 at 17:05, Alexander Hogg said:

It is goes the opposite way to the UK

You probably only noticed that after eating all those dodgy shrimps !

Edited by Aggers
typo error
  • Like 1

Many Alamy contributors are leaving, have left, whatever.

Hardly surprising for so many reasons.

What I notice when I do a little digging around is just how many formerly active and successful contributors that seem to have just gone off without a word from both the forum and from contributing. 

• Like 2

Ian, I've never understood the whole business of saying goodbye on these boards.  What's the point? In the early days, stock photography was a tiny world many of us knew each other in person, but those days a really long gone. 

For me, freelancing is filled with all sorts of intense moments and it seems strange to announce them in public. Does it really matter if I get one more rejection? Or if one more deal doesn't work out? Announcing book contracts and publication dates increases sales, but otherwise, it's not what we need to talk about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian Yarvin said:

Ian, I've never understood the whole business of saying goodbye on these boards.  What's the point? In the early days, stock photography was a tiny world many of us knew each other in person, but those days a really long gone. 

For me, freelancing is filled with all sorts of intense moments and it seems strange to announce them in public. Does it really matter if I get one more rejection? Or if one more deal doesn't work out? Announcing book contracts and publication dates increases sales, but otherwise, it's not what we need to talk about.

Sorry to say but I think that 'the whole business' about public announcements is persons feeling sorry for themselves.

I do understand that and feel it myself!

Equally, and I hate to sound like a wiseacre, rejection is part and parcel of what we do.  All the time.

We just have to carry on, until we decide not to carry on any longer. 

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 3

I think there's a huge difference between feeling it, expressing it, and creating a public statement about it. 

I can't even imagine a freelance photography career without all those moments of rejection - we learn something each time, but we don't have to wallow in it.

1 hour ago, Brian Yarvin said:

In the early days, stock photography was a tiny world many of us knew each other in person, but those days a really long gone. 

I've never met anyone face to face, but there's a lot of regulars been on here for a lot of years now. I like it, it's a great community

• Love 1

29 minutes ago, Steve F said:

I've never met anyone face to face, but there's a lot of regulars been on here for a lot of years now. I like it, it's a great community

It is a great community and while I feel like I have met many of you and consider you all friends, the only regular on here that I have actually met in person, is Jeff G.

• Love 1