I've noticed that a number of contributors include the words "General View" in their captions. Thinking I might be missing a trick I took a look at measures to see how many searches used it. There were quite a few, but almost exclusively related to sports arenas, so probably not worth the bother. Anyone had a different experience ?

1 hour ago, Robert M Estall said:

I can't think "general view" very useful in captions or tags. A bit like adjectives like beautiful and atmospheric. not the language of picture researchers. so speaks someone who is married to one

Shooting a lot of landscapes, I do use 'atmospheric' when relevant. You prompted me to check measures. In the past year, there has been 6 pages of results for 'atmospheric'. So not too rare. I haven't checked 'beautiful', I don't use it.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, gvallee said:

Shooting a lot of landscapes, I do use 'atmospheric' when relevant. You prompted me to check measures. In the past year, there has been 6 pages of results for 'atmospheric'. So not too rare. I haven't checked 'beautiful', I don't use it.

Oh no, another reason to go back and re-keyword. ... nah, but something to keep in mind for the future.

Re: General view - I try not to use adjectives willy-nilly, but like Gen, I think that keywording trends/concepts really vary by the type of thing you shoot - I do a fair amount of landscapes too and "general view" wouldn't make sense but I can understand a photo researcher using "general view" when they need a photo showing the crowds and the action in a certain sports venue. "High view" might do the trick there too.

I'd use "atmospheric" sparingly but can see how it makes sense for certain types of landscapes and weather related images - but not for general editorial work. 

I sometimes use "wide angle view of..." when I've used a 8mm or 20mm lens but not always with the 20mm - it depends on whether it seems appropriate or not.  I'm much more sparing with my keywords these days - and I use different ones on POD sites than for stock even for similar types of images. 

Edited by Marianne

On 29/08/2023 at 13:34, gvallee said:

Thanks for that, I've just added "atmospheric" to a small number of images !

27 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Thanks for that, I've just added "atmospheric" to a small number of images !

You're welcome! Once upon a time in the west (definitely, I was in the UK 😁), I used to sit down and spend half a day every day to study Measures. That's how I built my hierarchy in Bridge.