Backup Failed

Dave Richards

Question

My iMAC has started to tell me that time machine could not backup to my 2TB Seagate Backup Plus external drive.

Also get a message telling me that the same external drive not ejected properly and I should eject before disconnecting or turning off.

??????? I'm a complete dummy with these things. Would appreciate it if anyone can give me a clue as to what's going on?

22 minutes ago, Dave Richards said:

My iMAC has started to tell me that time machine could not backup to my 2TB Seagate Backup Plus external drive.

Also get a message telling me that the same external drive not ejected properly and I should eject before disconnecting or turning off.

??????? I'm a complete dummy with these things. Would appreciate it if anyone can give me a clue as to what's going on?

I can help you with the Seagate. To eject it, right click on it’s desktop icon & select “eject”. Always do that. I don’t know why but there must be a reason, so do it. They’d wouldn’t slap our hands for nothing, would they? 😁

Just guessing on the Time Machine, but possibly you’ve run out of HD space necessary on your iMac to back it up.

To check..click on the apple icon top left.

Select “About this Mac”

Click the storage tab in the toolbar to see how much disc space is available.

If your OS is Mountain Lion or Mavericks, click on “more info” button, then click on Storage.

• Thanks 1

Is the external drive supposed to connected all the time? If so check the cable and connectors are clean and fully inserted.

If you are removing the external drive between backups - do as Betty says, Eject it before disconnecting

Given the warning message it will be worth checking the integrity of your TM backup. Possible instructions here. https://www.lifewire.com/verify-time-machine-backups-2260096. Follow the local backup instructions. But the best instructions may may depend on which MacOS version you have. 

Which iMac you have? Which version of MacOS? How is Backup drive connected? Directly? Via a hub?

Mark

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I can help you with the Seagate. To eject it, right click on it’s desktop icon & select “eject”. Always do that. I don’t know why but there must be a reason, so do it. They’d wouldn’t slap our hands for nothing, would they? 😁

Just guessing on the Time Machine, but possibly you’ve run out of HD space necessary on your iMac to back it up.

To check..click on the apple icon top left.

Select “About this Mac”

Click the storage tab in the toolbar to see how much disc space is available.

If your OS is Mountain Lion or Mavericks, click on “more info” button, then click on Storage.

39 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Is the external drive supposed to connected all the time? If so check the cable and connectors are clean and fully inserted.

If you are removing the external drive between backups - do as Betty says, Eject it before disconnecting

Given the warning message it will be worth checking the integrity of your TM backup. Possible instructions here. https://www.lifewire.com/verify-time-machine-backups-2260096. Follow the local backup instructions. But the best instructions may may depend on which MacOS version you have. 

Which iMac you have? Which version of MacOS? How is Backup drive connected? Directly? Via a hub?

Mark

Betty, Mark,

many thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

I’ve checked storage available and the Seagate external has 857GB, the MAC 427GB.

The MAC is now quite old and running Mohave with one upgrade left to Catalina. The external Seagate is connected directly. It has always been connected since it was purchased and I have never ejected or disconnected it. It always just worked.

I will check out that link to verify time machine backups.

Many thanks again.

I have (3) Seagate 4TB external HDs backing up all me files in each.
if (1) acted odd repeatedly, I would format it & then reload all files
to see if still acted odd; if it did, I'd buy replacement...
😲 external HDs are go-to-sleep cheap Felipe
Edited by Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg
  • Thanks 1

Sorry I don’t really know much about computers so I think I had it backwards. I was assuming you were backing up the Seagate to your Mac but it’s the other way around. DUH. So it’s not lack of storage space. Mark knows his stuff so listen to him.

do know about the ejecting part because I’ve made that mistake before. 🙃

• Thanks 1

TimeMachine drives are supposed to be connected all the time.  Hard drives can fail.   I remember having an external backup drive fail, and walking to the local computer store to pick up a replacement.  When I was running a Mac, I had TimeMachine connected all the time, and a second drive used weekly or so with CarbonCopyCloner.   Try taking the drive to a store with Macs or a friend with a Macbook, and see if the disk is readable.   If not, it's dead, just replace it.  TimeMachine accesses the disk a lot, even more if the machine is left on 24/7.   Turning the computer and then the drive off, and restarting again might solve the problem so try that first.   The connection between the computer and the TM drive also may be a problem.   Try a different external device in the port.  USB or Firewire?   Get a second drive for Carbon Copy Cloner and run that weekly for belt and suspenders backing up.  (You'll probably have to see if they're offering older versions to work with earlier versions of OSX).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rebecca Ore said:

TimeMachine drives are supposed to be connected all the time.

The TimeMachine backup process is designed to work with both permanently or intermittently connected external drives. This allows it to be used with Notebooks/Laptops as well as Desktops. What is important is to "Eject" the drive before disconnecting it. If the external drive is not present a local TM snapshot will still be taken periodically (hourly?) on the internal disk (if there's room).

Hopefully the OP can still access the external drive contents on his own iMac. A single, isolated "drive disconnected" message wouldn't worry me too much, especially if the Mac can reconnect and the disk's contents check out OK when it does. But if it happens again (when the drive hasn't been unplugged) then it suggests a poor electrical connection or the drive is starting to fail.

2 hours ago, Rebecca Ore said:

Get a second drive for Carbon Copy Cloner and run that weekly for belt and suspenders backing up. 

+1

Doubly important if something is starting to go wrong with the existing external drive or its connection.

Mark

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

If this is a backup drive and you still have all your data on your Mac or elsewhere, then you may not be looking at a catastrophe as, unlike the climate catastrophe, you probably still have time to do something to avert it. Forget about analysing what is going wrong, just get a new backup drive with at least 4GB storage capacity (preferably two drives - I recommend Sandisk desktop drive, was G-Technology). Get this asap - you live in London so you will have stores nearby or same day delivery if not. Attach it to the Mac and backup everything immediately.  

If you do not have the data on your Mac or elsewhere, then this is genuinely a potentially very serious situation (even if it is just an electrical problem). If that is the case, you can run Disk Utility FIrst Aid to see if it can repair the disk. You might be able to fix it and recover your data if it's not on your Mac. In any case, continuing to use a drive that may be on the verge of failing is really asking for trouble. Retire that drive.

Good luck

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MDM said:

If this is a backup drive and you still have all your data on your Mac or elsewhere, then you may not be looking at a catastrophe as, unlike the climate catastrophe, you probably still have time to do something to avert it. Forget about analysing what is going wrong, just get a new backup drive with at least 4GB storage capacity (preferably two drives - I recommend Sandisk desktop drive, was G-Technology). Get this asap - you live in London so you will have stores nearby or same day delivery if not. Attach it to the Mac and backup everything immediately.  

If you do not have the data on your Mac or elsewhere, then this is genuinely a potentially very serious situation (even if it is just an electrical problem). If that is the case, you can run Disk Utility FIrst Aid to see if it can repair the disk. You might be able to fix it and recover your data if it's not on your Mac. In any case, continuing to use a drive that may be on the verge of failing is really asking for trouble. Retire that drive.

Good luck

Thanks Michael.

I do have all my data on the Mac so I will be hot-footing it to the shops to invest in a couple of 4GB drives. This has also prompted me to seriously consider getting a new Mac. I almost exclusively use the computer for photography and don’t store much other data other than documents relating to my car, insurance, MOT certs and service history etc. As long as “she who must be obeyed” can use it to access email  and online shopping all will be well.

.......and if I get a new Mac I’ll be enrolling with the Apple store for their course on how to ‘drive’ the damn thing. Should have done that when I bought the first one!!

Edited by Dave Richards
added text

1 hour ago, M.Chapman said:

The TimeMachine backup process is designed to work with both permanently or intermittently connected external drives. This allows it to be used with Notebooks/Laptops as well as Desktops. What is important is to "Eject" the drive before disconnecting it. If the external drive is not present a local TM snapshot will still be taken periodically (hourly?) on the internal disk (if there's room).

Hopefully the OP can still access the external drive contents on his own iMac. A single, isolated "drive disconnected" message wouldn't worry me too much, especially if the Mac can reconnect and the disk's contents check out OK when it does. But if it happens again (when the drive hasn't been unplugged) then it suggests a poor electrical connection or the drive is starting to fail.

+1

Doubly important if something is starting to go wrong with the existing external drive or its connection.

Mark

Thanks again Mark. The general consensus seems to point to a failing drive so two new external drives on my immediate shopping list.

4 hours ago, Rebecca Ore said:

TimeMachine drives are supposed to be connected all the time.  Hard drives can fail.   I remember having an external backup drive fail, and walking to the local computer store to pick up a replacement.  When I was running a Mac, I had TimeMachine connected all the time, and a second drive used weekly or so with CarbonCopyCloner.   Try taking the drive to a store with Macs or a friend with a Macbook, and see if the disk is readable.   If not, it's dead, just replace it.  TimeMachine accesses the disk a lot, even more if the machine is left on 24/7.   Turning the computer and then the drive off, and restarting again might solve the problem so try that first.   The connection between the computer and the TM drive also may be a problem.   Try a different external device in the port.  USB or Firewire?   Get a second drive for Carbon Copy Cloner and run that weekly for belt and suspenders backing up.  (You'll probably have to see if they're offering older versions to work with earlier versions of OSX).

Much appreciate your advice Rebecca, thank you.

Seems the common theme of the advice from everyone is to get new drives so I’m off to the shops today.

10 hours ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:
I have (3) Seagate 4TB external HDs backing up all me files in each.
if (1) acted odd repeatedly, I would format it & then reload all files
to see if still acted odd; if it did, I'd buy replacement...
😲 external HDs are go-to-sleep cheap Felipe

Thanks Jeffrey, much appreciate your advice. I’m going to be buying a couple of new drives today.

2 hours ago, Dave Richards said:

Thanks Michael.

I do have all my data on the Mac so I will be hot-footing it to the shops to invest in a couple of 4GB drives. This has also prompted me to seriously consider getting a new Mac. I almost exclusively use the computer for photography and don’t store much other data other than documents relating to my car, insurance, MOT certs and service history etc. As long as “she who must be obeyed” can use it to access email  and online shopping all will be well.

.......and if I get a new Mac I’ll be enrolling with the Apple store for their course on how to ‘drive’ the damn thing. Should have done that when I bought the first one!!

Don't mention it Dave. I did mean 4TB and not 4GB obviously. 

Drives can fail without warning - one minute it's working and the next it's not. Once you start seeing problems with a drive, it is no longer trustworthy. I had a portable 4TB Western Digital drive fail the other day and it is not the first time it's happened. It is completely unreadable. I used to swear by WD and had several but over the years they have gradually failed. It's not surprising as they have been well used but it is always a reminder of what can and does happen.  I have had Seagate drives fail as well years ago and have never bought another.

SanDisk is part of Western Digital as was G-Technology. They are now marketing the G-Technology drives as SanDisk as far as I know. I have never had a G-Technology drive fail yet and some are getting old (tempting fate). These are excellent drives. I generally find desktop drives much more reliable for backup than the older spinning portables. SSD drives are fantastic but still very expensive to use as backup but great as working drives. 

One massive reason for having two backup drives is to have one stored offsite if possible in case of fire, theft, flooding etc etc. Alternatively or additionally, storage somewhere online is wise as well. 

Anyway if you want any advice about a new Mac (she who must be obeyed permitting), I'm more than happy to advise. 

Edited by MDM
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Dave Richards said:

Luckily the only times I've seen messages as you have It's been due to an intermittent cable or USB to USB-C adapter. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MDM said:

Don't mention it Dave. I did mean 4TB and not 4GB obviously. 

Drives can fail without warning - one minute it's working and the next it's not. Once you start seeing problems with a drive, it is no longer trustworthy. I had a portable 4TB Western Digital drive fail the other day and it is not the first time it's happened. It is completely unreadable. I used to swear by WD and had several but over the years they have gradually failed. It's not surprising as they have been well used but it is always a reminder of what can and does happen.  I have had Seagate drives fail as well years ago and have never bought another.

SanDisk is part of Western Digital as was G-Technology. They are now marketing the G-Technology drives as SanDisk as far as I know. I have never had a G-Technology drive fail yet and some are getting old (tempting fate). These are excellent drives. I generally find desktop drives much more reliable for backup than the older spinning portables. SSD drives are fantastic but still very expensive to use as backup but great as working drives. 

One massive reason for having two backup drives is to have one stored offsite if possible in case of fire, theft, flooding etc etc. Alternatively or additionally, storage somewhere online is wise as well. 

Anyway if you want any advice about a new Mac (she who must be obeyed permitting), I'm more than happy to advise. 

Cheers Michael. I didn’t spot the 4TB/4GB and repeated the error myself 🥴.

Always willing to take advice re: a new Mac. I haven’t looked into the latest machines in any detail yet. Am I correct in recalling you mentioning in a past thread that they are now SSD?

20 minutes ago, Dave Richards said:

Always willing to take advice re: a new Mac. I haven’t looked into the latest machines in any detail yet. Am I correct in recalling you mentioning in a past thread that they are now SSD?

YUP! I recently bought the iMac mini pro and bought the 27" eizo monitor to go with it.

I had the 27" iMac from late 2013 but Apple would not supply new OS updates for it. Also because I could not upgrade that It was not possible to upgrade LrC. So I had to replace my much beloved iMac.  I still prefer it over the new system but I am gradually learning to like it.

Allan

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dave Richards said:

Yes as Allan says, all internal storage is now SSD on Macs. It is very reliable in my experience and really fast.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MDM said:

Yes as Allan says, all internal storage is now SSD on Macs. It is very reliable in my experience and really fast.

I see there is a new OS update coming in Autumn. "OS Sonoma."

Allan

• Like 1

On 19/07/2023 at 15:44, Allan Bell said:

YUP! I recently bought the iMac mini pro and bought the 27" eizo monitor to go with it.

I had the 27" iMac from late 2013 but Apple would not supply new OS updates for it. Also because I could not upgrade that It was not possible to upgrade LrC. So I had to replace my much beloved iMac.  I still prefer it over the new system but I am gradually learning to like it.

Allan

I remember you talking about your new setup in a previous thread and I am tempted. Had a chat with a tech guy when I visited the Apple store today and I rather like the new SSD kit. Would want more storage than the base kit offers but seems that 1TB or 2TB upgrades are easily accommodated and price still seems reasonable.

My current iMac is a 1TB 24” from around 2012/2013 and is getting long in the tooth now and my current experience with my external backup drive problem has prompted me to consider going for an all new system.

LrC isn’t an issue for me because I won’t  

entertain a monthly subscription. I’m no expert in editing, or taking pictures for that matter (images in my port will probably attest to that 🤪) so would retain my LR version 5.0 which does all I need it to do for stock. In the meantime I’m mucking around with my troublesome drive to see if I can solve the problem. Have got two new external drives now so am a bit more relaxed about things.

You’ll get to love your new system, you are uploading some good material.

Edited by Dave Richards
Changed text

A massive THANK YOU to everyone who responded and provided invaluable advice.

I’ve just been mucking about with the dodgy drive and it seems to me that I have a suspect USB port on the iMac. The data on the drive is OK and it seems to be working normally since I plugged it into another port. One good thing to come out of it is the addition today of a couple of new backups. Lesson learned.

1 hour ago, Dave Richards said:

I remember you talking about your new setup in a previous thread and I am tempted. Had a chat with a tech guy when I visited the Apple store today and I rather like the new SSD kit. Would want more storage than the base kit offers but seems that 1TB or 2TB upgrades are easily accommodated and price still seems reasonable.

My current iMac is a 1TB 24” from around 2012/2013 and is getting long in the tooth now and my current experience with my external backup drive problem has prompted me to consider going for an all new system.

LrC isn’t an issue for me because I won’t  

entertain a monthly subscription. I’m no expert in editing, or taking pictures for that matter (images in my port will probably attest to that 🤪) so would retain my LR version 5.0 which does all I need it to do for stock. In the meantime I’m mucking around with my troublesome drive to see if I can solve the problem. Have got two new external drives now so am a bit more relaxed about things.

You’ll get to love your new system, you are uploading some good material.

When I got my old iMac I upgraded it with an SSD at the time (half Terabyte) which was enough. My new Mac mini Pro still only has a half Terabyte SSD as I only have Apple Operating System and programs and apps on the in house SSD.  This allows the computer to use the free space on the SSD if it should need it.

ALL my files and folders are held on a 4TB SaDisk G-Drive. This is automatically backed up every day via CCC to another of the same ilk. Got those drives on MDM's advise. Excellent bits of kit. He also helped me in making my decision as to which direction to go when looking to upgrade.

If you want to continue to use your LR version 5.0 You should check first to see if it is compatible with the new computer. I am telling you this as when I changed over to the new system I wanted my LR version 6.14 to come too. It did come but something happened with the old LR library.  I think it was converted to allow it to run on the new system.

Don't know how Version 5 would work out.

Yes I am learning to like my new system. There are a lot of small changes between the old and new and I just have to learn to live with them.

Allan

I was writing this post when Mark suggested the same as me.

ITMA

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Thanks 1