Backup Failed

Dave Richards

Question

My iMAC has started to tell me that time machine could not backup to my 2TB Seagate Backup Plus external drive.

Also get a message telling me that the same external drive not ejected properly and I should eject before disconnecting or turning off.

??????? I'm a complete dummy with these things. Would appreciate it if anyone can give me a clue as to what's going on?

LR6, and so also LR5, will not install on MacOS 10.15 (Catalina) and later as they no longer support 32-bit applications. That's on a fresh install, I've heard that if you upgrade the OS on a machine that is already running LR 32-bit then it it will still be there to use but from what Allan says it seems there could be problems.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dave Richards said:

I remember you talking about your new setup in a previous thread and I am tempted. Had a chat with a tech guy when I visited the Apple store today and I rather like the new SSD kit. Would want more storage than the base kit offers but seems that 1TB or 2TB upgrades are easily accommodated and price still seems reasonable.

My current iMac is a 1TB 24” from around 2012/2013 and is getting long in the tooth now and my current experience with my external backup drive problem has prompted me to consider going for an all new system.

LrC isn’t an issue for me because I won’t  

entertain a monthly subscription. I’m no expert in editing, or taking pictures for that matter (images in my port will probably attest to that 🤪) so would retain my LR version 5.0 which does all I need it to do for stock. In the meantime I’m mucking around with my troublesome drive to see if I can solve the problem. Have got two new external drives now so am a bit more relaxed about things.

Dave - do ask for advice here before making a purchase rather than from the Apple Store as they tend to be more geared more towards general usage rather than image editing. Memory is what you will need to think about - this is now unified memory which deals with the RAM and graphics functions. You need at least 16Gb of memory (preferably 24) if you want a future-proofed machine. My general advice is to prioritise memory and save on storage (512GB min though) as you can use external SSDs which are way more than fast enough for image editing and a lot cheaper than Apple's internal storage.

As others have said, the perpetual versions of Lightroom will no longer work on new Macs. Now I never thought I would say this but for Nikon users (which I think you are as I recall advising you about a Z6II which I think you bought?)  it is well worth checking out the latest version of NX Studio which is free. It has improved massively in terms of speed in recent times and does a very nice job on raw files. I am still using Lightroom but was very impressed by the results when I tried it, including noise reduction which is easily as good or better than Lightroom's AI NR. It would be a leap for me as I have been using Lightroom for years but it is well worth a look, especially as it's free.

Edited by MDM
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Is LR5 compatible with the latest MacOS? I suspect it isn't.

Mark

Oh b****r. Thanks for the heads-up, hadn’t  thought about that. More work to do to sort out new editing software before committing to new kit.

10 minutes ago, Dave Richards said:

Oh b****r. Thanks for the heads-up, hadn’t  thought about that. More work to do to sort out new editing software before committing to new kit.

Not sure how I posted this reply so many times. Dohh!!!!

1 hour ago, MDM said:

Dave - do ask for advice here before making a purchase rather than from the Apple Store as they tend to be more geared more towards general usage rather than image editing. Memory is what you will need to think about - this is now unified memory which deals with the RAM and graphics functions. You need at least 16Gb of memory (preferably 24) if you want a future-proofed machine. My general advice is to prioritise memory and save on storage (512GB min though) as you can use external SSDs which are way more than fast enough for image editing and a lot cheaper than Apple's internal storage.

As others have said, the perpetual versions of Lightroom will no longer work on new Macs. Now I never thought I would say this but for Nikon users (which I think you are as I recall advising you about a Z6II which I think you bought?)  it is well worth checking out the latest version of NX Studio which is free. It has improved massively in terms of speed in recent times and does a very nice job on raw files. I am still using Lightroom but was very impressed by the results when I tried it, including noise reduction which is easily as good or better than Lightroom's AI NR. It would be a leap for me as I have been using Lightroom for years but it is well worth a look, especially as it's free.

Thanks Michael. Yes I do have the Z6ll, it’s brilliant with the 24-70 f4. Like you, I’ve been using LR for a long time and I’ve never thought about the Nikon editing software. Nothing to lose so I’ll give it a try. Not ready to upgrade hardware yet, but will take on board your advice and come back to pick your brains at a later date if that’s OK.

3 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

When I got my old iMac I upgraded it with an SSD at the time (half Terabyte) which was enough. My new Mac mini Pro still only has a half Terabyte SSD as I only have Apple Operating System and programs and apps on the in house SSD.  This allows the computer to use the free space on the SSD if it should need it.

ALL my files and folders are held on a 4TB SaDisk G-Drive. This is automatically backed up every day via CCC to another of the same ilk. Got those drives on MDM's advise. Excellent bits of kit. He also helped me in making my decision as to which direction to go when looking to upgrade.

If you want to continue to use your LR version 5.0 You should check first to see if it is compatible with the new computer. I am telling you this as when I changed over to the new system I wanted my LR version 6.14 to come too. It did come but something happened with the old LR library.  I think it was converted to allow it to run on the new system.

Don't know how Version 5 would work out.

Yes I am learning to like my new system. There are a lot of small changes between the old and new and I just have to learn to live with them.

Allan

I was writing this post when Mark suggested the same as me.

ITMA

Thanks Alan. Useful info and I have a lot to learn. I’m still a dummy with the technical stuff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave Richards said:

Thanks Michael. Yes I do have the Z6ll, it’s brilliant with the 24-70 f4. Like you, I’ve been using LR for a long time and I’ve never thought about the Nikon editing software. Nothing to lose so I’ll give it a try. Not ready to upgrade hardware yet, but will take on board your advice and come back to pick your brains at a later date if that’s OK.

No problem Dave. Glad you like the Z6II - it's a little beaut of a camera with that lens. You are welcome to pick my brains anytime. 

There is quite a steep learning curve withNX Studio and I've not spent a lot of time using it but the results are excellent. It allows you to use certain camera functions that can't be used on raw files in-camera but can be used on the raw files in the software. My main problem with earlier versions was the speed or lack thereof but this version is a big improvement (on the M1 Mac in any case).

Edited by MDM
  • Thanks 1