Generative AI approved by Alamy?

Pav

Question

14 minutes ago, Jill Morgan said:

Adobe Firefly does not just use CC images.  It also uses the images in Adobe Stock.  They say this covers them, but then, the images don't belong to Adobe so I don't know why they would think this.  Using their stock images is still using other works they don't own to create new images.

Edit:  Have just read that Adobe plans to compensate contributors whose images are used for generative ai.  Not sure how they are going to figure that out. When the algorithm runs, will it inform adobe what images it has used?

Jill

Jill, this is only for testing the Beta by chosen approved contributors for a feedback. After the trials, Firefly will be used only with files which are free for use (expired rights, etc....)

Are you uploading 

45 minutes ago, Aul Zitzke said:

alamy allows AI generated images, I asked the support a few weeks ago. I sell AI generated images, too and even had a sale recently.

Are you uploading these images as jpegs?

11 hours ago, Aul Zitzke said:

Alamy allows AI generated images, I asked the support a few weeks ago. I sell AI generated images, too and even had a sale recently.  

Could you please post here what Alamy told you?

This is a transcription of official US Government statement:

https://www.engadget.com/ai-generated-images-from-text-cant-be-copyrighted-us-government-rules-174243933.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAIcfCo3-YzxRSfy-LnKSXYIN_03L6JeAQu2fKlXJY5e5SkWrzJOpYPtcy9iox_DyJlXckxlxqVNYHOJ3Hwcexrf0E-ryaP7vGToo9oWfzpZxpGhIbl2jiyo12y6_KuqF-MsPJ9zfqlyfhCiQQCjbnTAi7HQ0Vg34sP06BlbvVGfX

To make it short: Any images that are produced by giving a text prompt to current generative AI models, such as Midjourney or Stable Diffusion, cannot be copyrighted in the US.

Edited by Pav

Can AI tools scrape images or portions of images from online picture libraries to use as source material? I read an article that certainly implied this, suggesting libraries need to act to prevent it....

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/mar/18/chatgpt-said-i-did-not-exist-how-artists-and-writers-are-fighting-back-against-ai

Edited by Keith Burdett
Inserted link

26 minutes ago, Keith Burdett said:

Can AI tools scrape images or portions of images from online picture libraries to use as source material?

That's all it does. It just uses a lot of them typically.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/mar/30/artificial-intelligence-chatgpt-human-mind

38 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Good article. But what concerns me is that our images are now source material for image scraping software that bypasses alamy sales completely. Someone please tell me that's not how it works...

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pav said:

https://www.engadget.com/ai-generated-images-from-text-cant-be-copyrighted-us-government-rules-174243933.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAIcfCo3-YzxRSfy-LnKSXYIN_03L6JeAQu2fKlXJY5e5SkWrzJOpYPtcy9iox_DyJlXckxlxqVNYHOJ3Hwcexrf0E-ryaP7vGToo9oWfzpZxpGhIbl2jiyo12y6_KuqF-MsPJ9zfqlyfhCiQQCjbnTAi7HQ0Vg34sP06BlbvVGfX

To make it short: Any images that are produced by giving a text prompt to current generative AI models, such as Midjourney or Stable Diffusion, cannot be copyrighted in the US.

Do you want to make a general discussion about it? I want no general discussion, but here is, what Alamy told me:

"You can upload AI generated images to Alamy however you must be 100% sure that legally you own the copyright to the images created as per the contract. Or submit images free from copyright and have required permissions, this is so the images will pass QC."

Adobe Stock made a clear statement about AI generated content and allows it, too.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Aul Zitzke said:

this is so the images will pass QC

That seems a bit disingenuous from Alamy, I didn't think that Alamy QC got involved with the source of an image, mind you the AI images that you have seem to be more illustrative.  You caption them as 'made with generative AI' which is fine but Alamy QC don't read captions surely, they don't need to be captioned for Alamy QC, perhaps it's different for uploading illustrations. Not a criticism of you, you're doing everything right, my concern is for images passed off as real photographs.

Edited by Harry Harrison

39 minutes ago, Keith Burdett said:

Good article. But what concerns me is that our images are now source material for image scraping software that bypasses alamy sales completely.

That's my understanding, yes. I think this software is going to potentially kill off creative home studio shots trying to demonstrate a theme. You could try to be very creative and come up with images no one has done before, but then they're available for AI to rip off too. I suspect as contributors we'll just be left with outdoor location shots, which are not really suitable for AI.

34 minutes ago, Aul Zitzke said:

however you must be 100% sure that legally you own the copyright to the images created

You can't be sure at all - all AI does is use other copyright images and melds them to make a new image. This is just a get out of jail free statement from Alamy so they're not responsible for when copyright infringement lawsuits start happening for AI generated images:

https://www.theverge.com/2023/2/6/23587393/ai-art-copyright-lawsuit-getty-images-stable-diffusion

Of course humans use existing artwork and photographic images for inspiration when creating their own photos. But we don't recognise that normally as copyright infringement as the new photo is generally created from scratch - it's not a collage of existing images.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

That seems a bit disingenuous from Alamy, I didn't think that Alamy QC got involved with the source of an image, mind you the AI images that you have seem to be more illustrative.  You caption them as 'made with generative AI' which is fine but Alamy QC don't read captions surely, they don't need to be captioned for Alamy QC, perhaps it's different for uploading illustrations. Not a criticism of you, you're doing everything right, my concern is for images passed off as real photographs.

I caption them as "made with generative AI" because they always have to be marked, not because of Alamy, but it is one of the main conditions in the terms of use of Midjourney. Unfortunately there are a lot of stock contributors who don´t mark their images as "AI generated".

14 minutes ago, Steve F said:

outdoor location shots, which are not really suitable for AI.

Although in a composite image an outdoor location could be scraped and used just as easily as any foreground subject surely? How well is another thing of course, but looking ahead a few years... Or months...

3 hours ago, Pav said:

This only refers to copyright registration, which only applies in the US, but of course they're separate matters- as we all know copyright susbists irrespective of registration. Alamy is a British agency so British copyright law would apply.

IMO whether copyright even subsists in an AI image is a very different question in the US and Europe as the US doesn't have the concept of "intellectual creation" which derives from EU law and is incorporated in the CDPA in the concept of originality.

Alamy is only interested in the contract. It's not its job to decide what is protected by copyright and what isn't.

8 minutes ago, Keith Burdett said:

Although in a composite image an outdoor location could be scraped and used just as easily as any foreground subject surely? How well is another thing of course, but looking ahead a few years... Or months...

It wouldn't be an accurate image of the actual location.

16 hours ago, Pav said:

Can see a flood of images generated by AI, can't find/post here any info about it. Could anyone enlighten me what is the current policy on this site? 

A few AIs of mine have been accepted by Alamy. I follow the following rules (taken from another agency):

- For the generation of the images I have a paid account
- the phrase "made with generative AI" is included in the title
- the KWs contain "generative AI" as well
- I do not submit the images as photos, but as illustrations in jpg format.

Worked without problems so far. 

• Love 3

12 minutes ago, spiegel said:

A few AIs of mine have been accepted by Alamy. I follow the following rules (taken from another agency):

- For the generation of the images I have a paid account
- the phrase "made with generative AI" is included in the title
- the KWs contain "generative AI" as well
- I do not submit the images as photos, but as illustrations in jpg format.

Worked without problems so far. 

Yes, that´s exactly what I do. (..and a lot of image editing with Photoshop to fix mistakes.)

Edited by Aul Zitzke
add something
  • Love 2

20 minutes ago, Aul Zitzke said:

Yes, that´s exactly what I do. (..and a lot of image editing with Photoshop to fix mistakes.)

You need to revisit some of your generative AI images as they don't all contain "generative AI" in the caption (title) - e.g. your wild animals on your page 3. It is in the More Info section but not in the caption. Also describing some of these as natural animal portrait when they have been produced by generative AI has more than a touch of oxymoron don't you think?

Edited by MDM

35 minutes ago, MDM said:

You need to revisit some of your generative AI images as they don't all contain "generative AI" in the caption (title) - e.g. your wild animals on your page 3. It is in the More Info section but not in the caption. Also describing some of these as natural animal portrait when they have been produced by generative AI has more than a touch of oxymoron don't you think?

Oh really? You want to discuss my images? I marked every AI generated image either in the title or in the additional info and I´m ok with it. There are no rules on Alamy that "generative AI" has to be in the caption. In my opinion the description "natural animal portrait" is no contradiction, even if the images are made with generative AI. They have indeed a natural, authentic look. If you compare AI generated images you will recognize that there are significant differences in quality. In this case the animal portraits are photorealistic illustrations and that´s why I choose the description "natural animal portrait", not to conceal the fact that they have been generated with AI technologies.

However, I don´t want a general discussion on this topic as I already mentioned. Just wanted to enlighten the user PAV about the current policy on this site and from my point of view there´s nothing wrong with it as long as the agencies agree to it.

Edited by Aul Zitzke
  • Love 1

23 minutes ago, Aul Zitzke said:

Oh really? You want to discuss my images?

No not really at all. It's just that you said "Yes, that´s exactly what I do." in reply to speigel's statement that the phrase "made with generative AI" is included in the title. This is clearly not the case with some of your images at the moment, as there is no mention of generative AI in some of the titles. So that is non-subjective but easily corrected. Use of the term natural is somewhat subjective but in my brand of English that would imply that the images were of real organic animals. 

ADDENDUM: If the term natural-looking was used instead of natural, I don't think there would be any argument.

Edited by MDM
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Keith Burdett said:

Can AI tools scrape images or portions of images from online picture libraries to use as source material? I read an article that certainly implied this, suggesting libraries need to act to prevent it....

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/mar/18/chatgpt-said-i-did-not-exist-how-artists-and-writers-are-fighting-back-against-ai

One Twitter poster asked an AI program for an image of Jesus based on a text description.   The AI found a picture on line that matched the description.   A number of the poster's followers recognized it and I ran TinEye and found several other earlier instances, with some slight variation in skin tones.   AI is a sorting program.  

At best, it's a way to create composites.   My publisher is doing a composite cover for Collected Ogoense, and gets licenses for every image part that's not open source, but it's being created by hand. 

3 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Yes, good examples. The nice thing about AI images is that they are not montages and you don't need images that the AI "changes".
The people in the images can be completely "recreated" and not exist in real life. This can be an advantage over real photos if the images are not used to document news.
Unfortunately, it is also a big disadvantage for photographers and other creatives whose work can be partially replaced by AI.

https://share-your-photo.com/6e39debeeb

Therefore, the origin of the images from the computer should always be pointed out.