Christmas lights, etc.

I don't have an answer, but I have another question: I wonder what the normal lead time is on Christmas images? For magazines it used to be 4 to 6 months, as I recall. 

I imagine that is still the case for magazines. Xmas greeting cards and calendars must need at least that long. Lead time for Web use and newspapers must be a lot shorter, I would think.

I don't have an answer, but I have another question: I wonder what the normal lead time is on Christmas images? For magazines it used to be 4 to 6 months, as I recall. 

I imagine that is still the case for magazines. Xmas greeting cards and calendars must need at least that long. Lead time for Web use and newspapers must be a lot shorter, I would think.

Sorry, John - don't mean to continue side-lining the thread, but just as a point of interest...I have a sale (as yet unreported) that was related to Xmas shopping.  It was placed in a Website/online mag/pdf and likely in the hard copy of the mag as well.  Closest I can come is that the image was zoomed on 7th Oct for the article dated 22nd Nov (online).  It would have appeared in the Nov issue of the print mag (available 2nd/3rd week of Oct,, I guess).

I imagine that there is a lot of research and licensing done much further in advance of this, but goes to show that things can move very quickly and be very last minute these days.

Back on-topic: while I don't have any images of this kind on Alamy (the image that was licensed was taken late September and about as far from Xmas as you could imagine!), there are a lot of these images on Alamy, so I would suspect that there is indeed a market here - for next year!

Sorry, John - don't mean to continue side-lining the thread, but just as a point of interest...I have a sale (as yet unreported) that was related to Xmas shopping.  It was placed in a Website/online mag/pdf and likely in the hard copy of the mag as well.  Closest I can come is that the image was zoomed on 7th Oct for the article dated 22nd Nov (online).  It would have appeared in the Nov issue of the print mag (available 2nd/3rd week of Oct,, I guess).

I imagine that there is a lot of research and licensing done much further in advance of this, but goes to show that things can move very quickly and be very last minute these days.

Back on-topic: while I don't have any images of this kind on Alamy (the image that was licensed was taken late September and about as far from Xmas as you could imagine!), there are a lot of these images on Alamy, so I would suspect that there is indeed a market here - for next year!

Yes, any Xmas photos uploaded now would probably be for next year. It would be interesting to know if these subjects actually move on Alamy, though. Any testimonials out there?

Yes, they do. I have made regular sales of Christmas market photos, but not just lights on their own. Christmas shopping sells as well, so would (if you can do them) family at Christmas shots indoors with trees etc. I've also sold wrapped presents - in one case, I spent about £80 or some bath/beauty products for my wife, had them gift wrapped beautifully, did a studio still life while they were perfect and got a $300 fee the next gift-giving season.  I also photograph certain seasonal gifts and foods and these have sold well enough. I never care at all about when in the year I put them on line as there is a year-round market for these things and the life of an image can be 5-10 years.

I sold some images for a Staffordshire calendar (not through Alamy) last month - they are for use in the 2015 calendar!!

John.

Yes, they do. I have made regular sales of Christmas market photos, but not just lights on their own. Christmas shopping sells as well, so would (if you can do them) family at Christmas shots indoors with trees etc. I've also sold wrapped presents - in one case, I spent about £80 or some bath/beauty products for my wife, had them gift wrapped beautifully, did a studio still life while they were perfect and got a $300 fee the next gift-giving season.  I also photograph certain seasonal gifts and foods and these have sold well enough. I never care at all about when in the year I put them on line as there is a year-round market for these things and the life of an image can be 5-10 years.

Not sure that it is politically correct to reveal your profligacy in a forum posting readable by 'other-halves' - Mrs C (who was previously looking forward to a new tire for her wheel-barrow) has made a number of pointed comments........

Not sure that it is politically correct to reveal your profligacy in a forum posting readable by 'other-halves' - Mrs C (who was previously looking forward to a new tire for her wheel-barrow) has made a number of pointed comments........

How some spoil their other halves . . . tires on her wheelbarrow!! . . . luxury!

dd

But Allan, we are a worldwide forum - tyres/tires - hate to puncture any aspirations towards spelling correctness - DD (from down-under) knew what I meant -  and I'm sure that our transatlantic cousins will understand, without blowing this matter out of proportion  - however, thanks for giving the subject an airing......

(no offense/offence taken !!!!)

I licensed image CBWH3N $94 in November. IQ Magazine sale xmas lights on a house

Kevin

That's the kind of thing I had in mind. Encouraging to hear that your outdoor Christmas lights image sold. Perhaps I'll do some late-night prowling around the neighbourhood this Xmas. It was interesting to hear about David's Xmas still life success as well. Unfortunately, I'm not set up for studio work.

I would love to be set up as I once was for proper studio work (extensive space and racks of backgrounds, etc) but my studio now is approx 1m square, the top of my small light table scoop, and it just sits there so that anything I can fit on it can be photographed in a minute or two.

I would love to be set up as I once was for proper studio work (extensive space and racks of backgrounds, etc) but my studio now is approx 1m square, the top of my small light table scoop, and it just sits there so that anything I can fit on it can be photographed in a minute or two.

My "studio" is even less sophisticated. I haven't really done any proper studio still-life photography since the 1980's. I'm thinking of building a simple light box for macro photography, though. There are all kinds of DIY videos online.

Archived