Image(s) have become corrupt on our database and no longer available

APC

Question

I’ve just had this email from Alamy:

‘We're emailing to let you know the below image(s) have become corrupt on our database and no longer available.

B0E77Y/0240n24-t.jpg

Unfortunately, the image(s) have had to be deleted however if you'd like to replace, please feel free to re-upload.

This is a rare occurrence, and we apologise for any inconvenience’

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this happen? You would think that Alamy would have backups to be able to restore the image themselves!

APC

Edited by APC

16 answers to this question

Hi APC, 

We've had to contact a small number of contributors to let them know that due to a technical problem, a very small number of images (or just a single image in many cases) had technical problems during upload which has meant we don't have the hi-res version on file. This wasn't picked up upon at the time, but we've identified all images affected now and contacted all contributors involved. In these cases, if you wish to keep the image(s) available for sale, you'll need to reupload them. Apologies for the hassle.

Thanks, 

Alamy. 

6 hours ago, APC said:

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this happen? You would think that Alamy would have backups to be able to restore the image themselves!

But if the corruption occurred before they were backed up......?

That's why Alamy require us to keep copies of all our images - section 17.2 of the Contributor Contract.

One of my lockdown activities was going through all my images to update and correct keywords etc.  In the course of which I found three that were corrupted - I marked them for deletion and re-uploaded.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Vincent Lowe said:

But if the corruption occurred before they were backed up......?

That's why Alamy require us to keep copies of all our images - section 17.2 of the Contributor Contract.

One of my lockdown activities was going through all my images to update and correct keywords etc.  In the course of which I found three that were corrupted - I marked them for deletion and re-uploaded.

Yep, I do have a copy of the 'corrupted' image along with everything else.

My way forward is to the redo the work when I'm next passing the location and then re-submit as I believe I can produce a better image now than I did nearly ten years ago.

Onwards and upwards!! 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Broad Norfolk said:

My way forward is to the redo the work when I'm next passing the location and then re-submit as I believe I can produce a better image now than I did nearly ten years ago.

Ah well, that wasn't an option for me during lockdown.  It still isn't an option for at least one of the images - it was taken in New Zealand...🙂

Edited by Vincent Lowe
grammar
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Vincent Lowe said:

Ah well, that wasn't an option for me during lockdown.  It still isn't an option for at least one of the images - it was taken in New Zealand...🙂

That beautiful country is a long way off, Vincent! Just half-an-hour away on one of my favourite patches for mine and at least gives me a bit to think about!

Thank you for confirming that I'm not alone, but as Alamy states it appears to be a rare issue. It certainly doesn't explain why most of my images have never sold!

I hadn't spotted the requirement to keep copies of all images uploaded to Alamy. Perhaps they could negotiate a bulk discount on HDDs for contributors!

APC

Edited by APC
Humour

1 hour ago, APC said:

Thank you for confirming that I'm not alone, but as Alamy states it appears to be a rare issue. It certainly doesn't explain why most of my images have never sold!

I hadn't spotted the requirement to keep copies of all images uploaded to Alamy. Perhaps they could negotiate a bulk discount on HDDs for contributors!

APC

Could you maybe go through your images when you have a spare few minutes and change keywords, attach anything that may be more relevant today (something newsworthy for Ilfracombe and the UK as a whole) ? I'm not the best person t advise (so please don't shoot me) - it was just a thought to help with sales ,,,

6 hours ago, APC said:

I have about 400 images that I don't have copies of - they are scans of 6x6 transparencies.  The originals were with another agency and were scanned and uploaded to Alamy by them.  When that library packed up they were transferred to my own Alamy account.   The original transparencies were returned to me so I could, in theory, scan them myself but I can think of lots of other things I'd rather be doing with my life...🙂

I asked Alamy if they could supply me with copies of the scans, in order to comply with the contract.  They said they couldn't do that and, with regard to the contract, not to worry about it!

Edited by Vincent Lowe
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, Vincent Lowe said:

I don't think they meant the whole contract!  😃 ......Just the bit about me not having copies of scans that I didn't do myself.

Yes, but unfortunately it seems representative of how they have chosen to interperet parts of the contract as seen by their lack of clarity on the clauses about infringement, exclusivity and obligations to inform contributors about discovered possible infringements. As discussed in other threads.

Sad that they can be so dismissive when it suits them.

😒

Phil

I was also contacted about one image that had become corrupted...I had a few similar images so it wouldn't have made a big difference, but i uploaded another copy anyway.The image dated from 2013...Now if you had old scans like Vincent Lowe has, yes that would be a pain to redo....

On 12/11/2022 at 08:21, Phil Crean said:

Yes, but unfortunately it seems representative of how they have chosen to interperet parts of the contract as seen by their lack of clarity on the clauses about infringement, exclusivity and obligations to inform contributors about discovered possible infringements. As discussed in other threads.

Sad that they can be so dismissive when it suits them.

😒

Phil

Make a backwards sort of sense this one.

They simply don't want to enforce that term of the contract. I agree though that it ought to cut both ways-we should be able to hold A to a term if we want to.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1