Jump to content
  • 0

Weird search term


Brizbee
 Share

Question

Hi all, just checked My Alamy and found, amongst others, I'd got a single view for the search term '*'. That's it, just an asterisk! And I'm thinking, how? Any ideas?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

I tried that search and after a long wait it came up with 500 pages of images. ??????? I zoomed one and could not see a * in the keywords. ????? Well, if anyone can explain it I bet it would be Wim. He has an extraordinary amount of knowledge about these things.

 

Paulette

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
39 minutes ago, Brizbee said:

Hi all, just checked My Alamy and found, amongst others, I'd got a single view for the search term '*'. That's it, just an asterisk! And I'm thinking, how? Any ideas?

Today I saw a [LU] search with no subject in front of it

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
53 minutes ago, NYCat said:

I tried that search and after a long wait it came up with 500 pages of images. ??????? I zoomed one and could not see a * in the keywords. ????? Well, if anyone can explain it I bet it would be Wim. He has an extraordinary amount of knowledge about these things.

 

Paulette

 

Hi Paulette, I tried that myself just to see what would happen and my picture didn't show up on the first 10 pages even though the original searcher only looked at the first page.

 

53 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Isn't the asterisk a "wildcard" character? It was probably just someone fooling around.

 

See here.

 

37 minutes ago, Ognyan Yosifov said:

Today I saw a [LU] search with no subject in front of it

 

John, I think i'd heard that the asterisk was kind of like a wildcard but always thought it needed to be part of a bigger search term to return anything. For it to work by itself seems incredible. And Ognyan, to get a result from no search term defies logic. Maybe all these changes to Alamy's system have produced an algorithm that can read our minds. Now that's frightening!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

I think the weirdest search term is Alamy.

Top of all searches for the rolling year with 496 searches and 9 zooms.

Followed by Alarmy. 417 searches; 18 zooms.

 

My favorite is V (326x) though, which must be clients trying to paste something into the search box. Which must be a very common practice among clients. I would like to know how clients feel about being unable to do such a simple and normal thing now on the front page.

 

I use it 98% of the time I am searching something on Google; Amazon or Alamy and a myriad of other sites and shops. I almost never type a sentence in the search box. Although Google is very lenient re misspellings, some of the others are not. I sometimes add a word or two though.

My guess is that clients are behaving the same. Maybe not when they buy images from their phone.

Those V searches have been there always. I see them quite often, because I have a couple of images related to Carlos V. (The King of Spain Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor.)

 

The top 10 for the rolling year:

 

alamy 496
alarmy 417
dog 401
Ukraine 401
queen elizabeth ii 386
cat 360
boris johnson 344
v 326
login 283
ukraine war 243

 

The top 10 since June 21:

 

boris johnson 118
dog 61
cat 51
wimbledon 41
gabriel jesus 36
nick kyrgios 36
richarlison 35
cristiano ronaldo 35
car 34
kate bush 33

 

V is gone! Of course it is, because pasting does not work anymore on the front page. (It does from a results page.)

Even Alamy is now on 11.

So this did fix something. Even if it was by taking out a bridge.

 

wim

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

My guess would be that "*" is the broadest search you can make and the result would show you the images with the highest individual Alamy rank of ALL quadrillion images Alamy has listed, because with no filter at all the Alamy Rank should be the only ranking criteria left. You might also be able to use your trick on your own images by adding a very individual keyword like "zldbvkisfvbsfvgbdyqövd" to all of your images and when you then search for that keywords two days later, the result should be your images ranked by Alamy Rank. That could be very helpful, because it also shows you which images rank worst. On that images you can improve the keywording or even delete them.

Would be interesting if that also worked on Google. Which results would Google return without any filters? Just the most populare websites?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
1 hour ago, Skyscraperfan said:

You might also be able to use your trick on your own images by adding a very individual keyword like "zldbvkisfvbsfvgbdyqövd" to all of your images and when you then search for that keywords two days later, the result should be your images ranked by Alamy Rank.

See this post also, that should work alI would think:

 

https://discussion.alamy.com/topic/15674-new-alamy-website-layout/#comment-318200

 

Edit: Correcting myself, that would only work for a particular Pseudo, but then I've only got one.

 

Edited by Harry Harrison
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 12/07/2022 at 21:02, wiskerke said:

 

 

I use it 98% of the time I am searching something on Google; Amazon or Alamy and a myriad of other sites and shops. I almost never type a sentence in the search box. Although Google is very lenient re misspellings, some of the others are not. I sometimes add a word or two though.

My guess is that clients are behaving the same. Maybe not when they buy images from their phone.

Those V searches have been there always. I see them quite often, because I have a couple of images related to Carlos V. (The King of Spain Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor.)

 

 

 

 

 

I hadn't noticed the gone Copy/Paste since i never go from the Main page, usually from my bookmarked report page.  This is really bad, like you most of my searches include some pasting. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
6 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

I hadn't noticed the gone Copy/Paste since i never go from the Main page, usually from my bookmarked report page.  This is really bad, like you most of my searches include some pasting. 

You can use it, not right-click but Cntrl or Cmd V but it's clumsy getting into the field first, hence the evidence of failed attempts presumably.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
1 hour ago, Skyscraperfan said:

My guess would be that "*" is the broadest search you can make and the result would show you the images with the highest individual Alamy rank of ALL quadrillion images Alamy has listed, because with no filter at all the Alamy Rank should be the only ranking criteria left. You might also be able to use your trick on your own images by adding a very individual keyword like "zldbvkisfvbsfvgbdyqövd" to all of your images and when you then search for that keywords two days later, the result should be your images ranked by Alamy Rank. That could be very helpful, because it also shows you which images rank worst. On that images you can improve the keywording or even delete them.

Would be interesting if that also worked on Google. Which results would Google return without any filters? Just the most populare websites?

 

I have my name in the keywords of all my images and when I search it I don't think I get a real ranking of the images. The first page is a real mess of images that have never had a zoom or sale. When I am searching a subject I come up on the first page a lot and always with my most popular images. So I don't think it is a real sign of my ranking. I hope not anyway.

 

Paulette

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
18 minutes ago, Ognyan Yosifov said:

First time with no [LU] attached to my viewed photos after the hiccup ... for better or worst

Yuuuuuuhoooooooo 

Just checked and at least 75% of mine are still coming up LU Glad to hear your ones at the moment have been resolved Hopefully some decent sales coming your way fingers crossed

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

LU is back to normal it seems and also copy/paste is working normally again.

I still get multiple searches of 100 views when it's obvious that there has only been 1 client.

 

wim

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.