Will anyone be joining the Platinum Club next month?

John Mitchell

Question

15 answers to this question

12 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

My hair is turning platinum, does that count?

Sure, why the heck not. Some 20-somethings are even dying their hair platinum these days, so I guess it's trending.

Mine went from gold to silver to snowy white if that's any consolation. 👨‍🦳

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Avpics said:

All the agencies.

Do many of the Agencies have exclusive images?  Platinum still only pays 40% for non-exclusive.  

Like i was thinking about a certain group that uploads for a bunch of contributors, WiShing maybe they would qualify, but all their images are likely non exclusive, so not much impact 

Edited by meanderingemu

41 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

Do many of the Agencies have exclusive images? 

I've just had a look to refresh my knowledge of the bands and it seems agencies are excluded from platinum anyway:

If you are not an Agency Contributor and your total License Fees for Content sales via the Alamy Websites in any one Revenue Year (starting 1 July 2020), net of any refunds, are greater than or equal to $25,000 then the Alamy Commission for the following Revenue Year for Content that is Exclusive to Alamy will automatically switch to Alamy Platinum as outlined in the Alamy Commission Table.

36 minutes ago, Avpics said:

I've just had a look to refresh my knowledge of the bands and it seems agencies are excluded from platinum anyway:

Interesting. Does this mean that the Platinum Club could be a total no man's (or no woman's) land? 😮

Edited by John Mitchell

2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Interesting. Does this mean that the Platinum Club could be a total no man's (or no woman's) land? 😮

I think agencies have individual contracts (I seem to remember that they could set minimum prices; we obviously can't).  So perhaps they don't fall into bands at all.

Think I will withdraw all my images from Alamy/PA.

Set myself up as an agency and offer the collection back to A/PA.

Allan

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Think I will withdraw all my images from Alamy/PA.

Set myself up as an agency and offer the collection back to A/PA.

Allan

Why withdraw them? There are many images that show up the exact same under different agencies and from the photographer him/her self.

Do agencies get a better rate?

In any case they do not pass QC afaik.

wim

• Love 1

15 hours ago, Rebecca Ore said:

I think agencies have individual contracts (I seem to remember that they could set minimum prices; we obviously can't).  So perhaps they don't fall into bands at all.

If agencies aren't eligible, then I can't help thinking that the Platinum Club may end up having zero members. Guess we'll never know.

24 minutes ago, Skyscraperfan said:

All photos sold via Wirestock will be in the Platinum scheme, as Wirestock technically has a single Alamy account.

Do you think they are worth joining? I declined last year thinking after their cut it wouldn't be worth it but wondering if it is. 

Gold here will have to do for me, with 1500 images I have no hope of Platinum (except for my post-Covid hair ). 

I did not join them so far, as I do not like the idea that another party will get a cut. However 85% of 50% are still more than 40%. The Alamy Rank of Wirestock might be very low though, because Wirestock does the keywording. So the keywords have a very low quality and that hurts the Alamy Rank a lot.

15 hours ago, Skyscraperfan said:

I did not join them so far, as I do not like the idea that another party will get a cut. However 85% of 50% are still more than 40%. The Alamy Rank of Wirestock might be very low though, because Wirestock does the keywording. So the keywords have a very low quality and that hurts the Alamy Rank a lot.

not sure you would get 50% * 85%, since nowhere in submission model you can indicate image is Exclusive, and my understanding these are the only images that qualify for 50% under Platinum. 

• Love 1

3 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

not sure you would get 50% * 85%, since nowhere in submission model you can indicate image is Exclusive, and my understanding these are the only images that qualify for 50% under Platinum. 

Oh yes, I did not think about that. Of course Wirestock images are not exclusive at all unless Alamy is the only Agency that you submit the Wirestock images to. So it is quite a bad deal.