Worldwide syndication distribution rights

Has anyone ever seen this sort of licence before...

Image ID: E3WEKD

Usage: Advertising and promotion, Repeat Editorial and Advertorial use in owned digital channels and in supplements produced by Wanderlust Travel Media Limited. Includes archive rights in-perpetuity, Worldwide license. Includes Worldwide syndication distribution rights.
Media: Advertorial
Print run: Unlimited
Insert: more than 25
Placement: Any - print cover & inside, electronic, online
Image Size: Any size
Start: 19 April 2022
Duration: In perpetuity

So for £14 it appears that my image can be sold on to a third party, I can't see how that can be consistent with a rights managed image?

I've also asked alamy directly, just wanted to see if anyone else has had such a licence.

Tenby Harbour

Edited by Tony

Yes, I have had one too very recently. The bulk of my images are RM and I can't understand this. In my opinion this is not good for Contributors and in addition it also seems like Alamy are shooting themselves in the foot!! 

Jim 😩

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

It used to be a no-no- the one thing a publisher couldn't do was sub-license our images for gain.. If Alamy is giving away syndication, what's the point?

Whose decision and how, and why, is this happening? Final straws have long gone. As has been quoted elsewhere, next stop is 'lets give them away now'. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

they usually take 1-2 business days to response to e-mails based on my recent interactions. 

Until now I thought Alamy was my agent, not some random publisher with whom I have no contract of any sort.

Well Smarties have the answer, but does Alamy?

Edited by spacecadet

On 21/04/2022 at 09:52, Tony said:

Ok, so I'm not the only one.

It will be interesting to see what alamy have to say.

Tony

Time will tell. It is very worrying. Thanks for making us all aware what is happening.

• Love 1

So alamy replied saying...

"We've heard back from the customer's account handler, and they have confirmed that this license is a one-time sale in which they have multiple use rights and can distribute pre-made articles but cannot sell or distribute the images on their own."

So it appears they can't sell my image to third parties, it was just a badly worded licence agreement.

Tony

• Like 4

I wonder how much Wanderlust Travel Media Limited charges for syndication and how it compares with the fee you received for the image they will use to help sell their article? 

This does illustrate the difficulty of tracking possible infringements when it concerns media companies. 

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, geogphotos said:

I wonder how much Wanderlust Travel Media Limited charges for syndication and how it compares with the fee you received for the image they will use to help sell their article? 

This does illustrate the difficulty of tracking possible infringements when it concerns media companies. 

if you "suspect infringement" you should report it, onus is on Alamy to manage it then.  hopefully the new direct process will streamline this. 

1 hour ago, meanderingemu said:

if you "suspect infringement" you should report it, onus is on Alamy to manage it then.  hopefully the new direct process will streamline this. 

It is impossible to know if images are included in syndication deals on multiple editorial websites across the world. 

Edited by geogphotos

How about this beauty??

Usage: Editorial, Use in syndicated editorial news features, single context only. Includes archive rights in-perpetuity.
Media: Newspaper - national
Print run: Unlimited
Insert: more than 25
Placement: National
Image Size: up to full area
Start: 25 April 2022
Duration: In perpetuity
$ 0.16

15 hours ago, geogphotos said:

It is impossible to know if images are included in syndication deals on multiple editorial websites across the world. 

in the end Alamy will need to figure a way, my contractual obligation stops at reporting anything I find suspicious, i didn't write the agreement I am bound by.  I already submitted one where no reference was made to the original article which i find suspicious, we will see.