Can anyone point out to me any company/business that allows a customer to buy a product, hold on to it for over 2 months and then return it, get their money back and then buy the same item again for less than they paid for it in the first place?

Could anyone in Alamy spare a few minutes to explain this business model?

• Love 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 3

I had this happen recently where an image purchased some weeks ago was refunded and then sold again on the same day. I was pleased to see that the price for the second sale was higher than that of the first sale, so sometimes it can be good news for the contributor and one in the eye for the buyer.

• Love 1

There has been a bit of a curious behaviour in the last couple of days. In terms of refunds, yesterday I had 6 image sales from the end of January refunded, and resold yesterday all for slightly less that the original price paid. I know some Alamy contributors have had 30 similar refunds subsequently resold ion the same way.

Then today I appear to have sold the same image 10 times, each time for middle $$. This has not happened before in my experience anyway! It might be very good news, but I wonder if they will all or nearly all be refunded. 

Anybody else noticing these occurrences? I wonder what the explanation is?

Kumar

• Love 1
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Doc said:

There has been a bit of a curious behaviour in the last couple of days. In terms of refunds, yesterday I had 6 image sales from the end of January refunded, and resold yesterday all for slightly less that the original price paid. I know some Alamy contributors have had 30 similar refunds subsequently resold ion the same way.

Then today I appear to have sold the same image 10 times, each time for middle $$. This has not happened before in my experience anyway! It might be very good news, but I wonder if they will all or nearly all be refunded. 

Anybody else noticing these occurrences? I wonder what the explanation is?

Kumar

Hi Doc, Yes, I had the same today. Six refunds and then six sales of the same pics but all for 10 cents less, or so. Don't really understand the logic, the admin/processing cost (for both Alamy and the purchaser) even if automated must outweigh the difference in price, surely? I hope there is some logic to it, somewhere.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Doc said:

Then today I appear to have sold the same image 10 times, each time for middle $$

I had the same image sell 3 times for the same rights and fee on 24th February, also mid $$. I informed Alamy and today they confirmed that there had indeed been an invoicing error and 2 (I hope it's only 2) will be refunded in the next few days.

7 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Thanks,  but Doc's report is the first I've seen mentioned regarding duplicated sales of the same image for the same rights, so something else going on as well.

https://discussion.alamy.com/topic/15393-sales-immediately-refunded/

I will contact Alamy and see what this is about - probably a mistaken multiple invoice I would guess. 😒

Kumar

• Love 1

2 hours ago, aphperspective said:

This thread has been going on for a few days now in "Lets talk about pics" part of the forum.

Maybe so, but that's not an obvious place to look if experiencing this and wondering if there's any discussion about it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had 5 sales and 5 refunds (same images) on the same day... 10th of March. No worries, that happens. However... I've just realised the amounts they refunded for each image are greater than the original licence fee! It would seem I've had to pay Alamy for the customer to not use my images 🤔

If you've had any refunds... it might be worth checking the amounts!

• Thanks 1

Just to add an update here.

Support advised the refunds on the 10th did not relate to the sale of the same images on the same day but were actually refunding sales from a few months ago. For the contributor, this is nearly impossible to work out as we cannot see who is buying what and if that image has sold a number of times then things are as clear as mud.

In my reply, I asked whether it is possible for them to add an "Original Sale Date" to any refund to make it clear what they're actually refunding and from when. Especially as the refund appeared after the re-sale of the same images that same day. If the refund had taken place first... then that would also make it apparent it was linked to an earlier sale and not the sale that same day but providing an original sale date would make more sense in terms of accountability/transparency. 

Edited by Duncan_Andison
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Duncan_Andison said:

I asked whether it is possible for them to add an "Original Sale Date" to any refund to make it clear what they're actually refunding and from when. Especially as the refund appeared after the re-sale of the same images that same day. If the refund had taken place first... then that would also make it apparent it was linked to an earlier sale and not the sale that same day but providing an original sale date would make more sense in terms of accountability/transparency. 

Don't they do that already?  This is how my last refund appeared on my Sales History....

51958070648_3ae4d0c37f_c.jpg

• Love 1

14 minutes ago, Vincent Lowe said:

Don't they do that already?  This is how my last refund appeared on my Sales History....

51958070648_3ae4d0c37f_c.jpg

it does it in the Sales History, but not on the Net Revenue Sales Report (NRSR).    This issue on the Sales History is that it doesn't leave it chronologically when it happened so you need to find it.

Problem with the Sales History is that it doesn't report how much contributors are earning and also as the daily lag, so many of us use the NRSR as our sales report, and it doesn't link to the original sales, though it states the exact term of the original licence so i've never had an issue linking it, provided the original was within my report  start date.

Edited by meanderingemu
  • Love 1

Thanks... I use the "Net revenue sales report" as it contains details of total value of sale as well as the net value etc and this doesn't include the original sales date. It also reports it straight away with no lag.

Just looked at the "Sales History". This does contain the original sales date but doesn't contain the net value of the sale. The "Net revenue sales report" allows me to copy and paste the record into my accounts without much fuss as it splits sale value, commission to give my "Net". It would be handy if they added the original sales date to that data sheet to keep it all together.

Edit. I should also add, the NRSR also contains "Cleared Funds Date" so you can see who hasn't paid. If they could add refund date & original sales date to the other date fields it would be really useful. Might not be a big job as well if the data originates from the same DB.

Edited by Duncan_Andison