Distributors Don't Have to Watermark

I came across an image of mine on a image selling site that had no watermark on the image. I thought this might be one of those scammy sites as this made no sense to me.

I sent in an unauthorized use form and was told this is one of Alamy's distributors and that Alamy cannot make them watermark the image.  Of course they can.  It would just have to be in the contract.  Surely Alamy wants to protect it's stock from theft.  

I was told if it bothered me I was free to remove my images from distribution in April.

Jill

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jill Morgan said:

I came across an image of mine on a image selling site that had no watermark on the image. I thought this might be one of those scammy sites as this made no sense to me.

I sent in an unauthorized use form and was told this is one of Alamy's distributors and that Alamy cannot make them watermark the image.  Of course they can.  It would just have to be in the contract.  Surely Alamy wants to protect it's stock from theft.  

I was told if it bothered me I was free to remove my images from distribution in April.

Jill

I do not consider Alamy's reply to be appropriate.

Allan

• Thanks 3
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, Celluloid Hero said:

Neither do I, what a dreadful and condescending way to talk to a contributor.

Thank you that was the word I was looking for, "dreadful"  or was it   "condescending"?

YUP!   Both of those.

Allan

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Looking at the number of posts I have on these forums against the number of images uploaded reminds me why I am really here.

Must concentrate on uploading more images.

Allan

3 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

What an insult - a totally pathetic response.

Anyone else noticing unsatisfactory responses from CR in the last few months.  

Collectively our work helps pay salaries at Alamy - Alamy staff don't have to wait months to get paid for their work - or in this instance  potentially have their work able to be taken and used for monetary gain by others. for free.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Nodvandigtid said:

I have been getting nothing else but this sort of response from them.

Still, as they say in Norn Iron "Wee apples will grow again"

3 hours ago, Nodvandigtid said:

as i have documented a few times i was told i needed to fail QC a few times  (my note:and potentially lose my 5 star rating) in order to get access to reportage, which i wanted for news images that had little immediate UK/Ireland appeal instead of using Live News

So yes, off the cuff answers seems to be getting more frequent. 

2 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

I was just totally surprised that they would leave their assets so open to theft and not expect their distributors to protect them.  A very laisse-faire attitude to their product.

Jill

it is obvious that they let distributor do as they please and that Alamy does not put any rules into the agreement.  Look at the Chinese deal where once a year reporting is acceptable, and i won't get into some of the licencing oddities i have encountered   

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

I was just totally surprised that they would leave their assets so open to theft and not expect their distributors to protect them.  A very laisse-faire attitude to their product.

Jill

Not even their assets. The assets are ours, they are our agents and 'should' be acting in our interests.

Sadly, that boat sailed a while back.

I agree with you, Jill, they should be involved in the terms of the contact, which should inter alia automatically include mean protecting images.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Like 4