Jump to content
  • 0

Plant ID, please.


Brizbee
 Share

Question

Hi.

 

Need some help identifying this plant. I think it's possibly a variety of Cotoneaster going by the shape of the leaves and the way the berries are presented, though can't be sure. The berries themselves are about 10-12mm in size and the plant was a good 2m at its tallest part. Found it on a new path I had never taken before so have never seen it in flower.

 

Any help - yes or no - would be greatly appreciated.

 

Thanks, Brian.

 

close-up-showing-open-ended-red-berries-

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

 

I have a few images of Cotoneaster Franchetti, one here in flower  E1773F and another fruiting BWD740. 

 

Allan

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
21 hours ago, Tony ALS said:

Hi Brian, I'm no expert but having right clicked on the image and using Google Lens I think you're right.

I have found Google lens to be a great help recently.

 

 Thanks Tony,

 

I'm a bit old school myself, a pile of books sitting on my desk covering a huge variety of things. Most of the time they give me a definitive answer, and for the rest point me down an avenue to investigate further on the internet.

 

Really must try this new-fangled technology someday.

 

Brian.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
8 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

 

I have a few images of Cotoneaster Franchetti, one here in flower  E1773F and another fruiting BWD740. 

 

Allan

 

 

Hi Allan.

 

Had a look at your images and, although the berries look very similar in shape, the leaves look bigger. However it certainly adds ammunition to the plant being some form of Cotoneaster.

 

Thanks, Brian.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

There were a couple hundred Crows drunk or high on berries from what I assume were Pyrocantha.  Some say the berries ferment after the first frost which is what happened in this case and others say the berries contain hydrogen cyanide which may be mind altering to the birds.  I was trying not to run over any birds that were wandering aimlessly through the streets. It was a hilarious scene.

 

drunken-crows-feeding-on-pyracantha-berries-in-redwood-city-california-HE7HB8.jpg
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
23 hours ago, Gorilla Dave said:

It might be a Firethorn aka Pyracantha.

 

this is not mine but a good example here...  F69AGG

 

GD

 Hi, GD.

 

I had considered Firethorn as an ID but dismissed it as the berries seem to hang away from the branches of the plant in quite large bunches. In my picture the berries are fewer in number and seem attached to the actual branches of the plant.

 

Until I get back there this year and see it in flower I'll leave it as Cotoneaster, but thanks for your input.

 

Brian.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

My wife, who knows a lot about these things, confirms it is a cotoneaster. She cannot tell the variety from this picture - she suggests that more of its habit would help, and that the best place to check is the RHS website. Hope this helps. 
 

Graham

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
3 hours ago, Graham said:

My wife, who knows a lot about these things, confirms it is a cotoneaster. She cannot tell the variety from this picture - she suggests that more of its habit would help, and that the best place to check is the RHS website. Hope this helps. 
 

Graham

 

Thanks Graham, and thank your wife for me. Never thought about looking on the RHS website, will have to do that.

 

For now I'm leaving it as is and waiting to get back to have a look at the plant in flower to give myself some more information.

 

Brian.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 23/01/2022 at 12:31, Johnnie5 said:

There were a couple hundred Crows drunk or high on berries from what I assume were Pyrocantha.  Some say the berries ferment after the first frost which is what happened in this case and others say the berries contain hydrogen cyanide which may be mind altering to the birds.  I was trying not to run over any birds that were wandering aimlessly through the streets. It was a hilarious scene.

 

drunken-crows-feeding-on-pyracantha-berries-in-redwood-city-california-HE7HB8.jpg

Now, that I would love to just sit and watch. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 06/02/2022 at 22:39, Gervais Montacute said:

It's most likely a Cotoneaster. Maybe a Berberis but more likely the former.

 

Thanks, though I'm pretty sure it's not a Berberis. There are a couple growing in my neighbours garden so I know what they look like.

 

9 hours ago, Stokie said:

I'm a bit late to this conversation but according to Seek, it is a Wall Cotoneaster.

 

John.

 

Thanks John, at least the app got the Cotoneaster bit. We have a Wall Cotoneaster growing in our garden and the only similarities are the shapes of the leaves. The berries are about a third the size and, as its name suggests, it grows up the wall. The plant I photographed was free standing.

 

I'm still going to leave it as Cotoneaster just now (as that seems to be the majority view) and check it in a few months once the better weather comes in.

 

Thanks to all who have responded.

 

Brian.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.