Food for Snapping, Selling, and Eating

Here's a stock subject that gets mentioned a lot in the forum, so I thought it might be good to have its own slot. 

Pasta lovers, do you know pappardelle? It's that extra-wide flat noodle, twice the width of fettuccini, three times wider that tagliatelle. It works well with various veggie sauces. Here we have a creamy mushroom sauce. Meat eaters will enjoy this Tuscan pasta too. 

2HD24NM.jpg

• Love 1
  • Like 2

I don't recall ever seeing this in any shops even though we have a lot more on offer these days, but I could hand-cut it easily with my nifty hand-cranked pasta machine. Only problem is I've got out of the way of using it now that there is quite a bit on offer in fresh packages. Also there is always a certain quantity of Labradoodle fur floating about in my kitchen. I know they are not supposed to shed, but nobody told Flossie.

• Like 1

They called this quite wide stuff  tagliatelle at La Sberla in Bologna. Somewhat thicker than yours. A lovely beefy ragù (or was it porky- quite light in colour, I'm ashamed to say I can't remember) while waiting for a train to Ravenna.

TD1Y48.jpg

But my only home-cooked image on here is a  pizza. Keeping it away from the OH long enough to get it in the studio was a non-trivial undertaking.

I'll leave pasta to the expert here.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

Robert, I would love to have a dog. Impossible in my car-less, nomad situation. Maybe you should explain to Flossie about the shedding thing. 

Mark, Italians usually put both beef and pork in their ragu. Many are casual about the names tagliatelle, fettuccini, and pappardelle. And I would never question any Bologna native about Italian cuisine. 

I did the dish in my picture, but M&S Foodhall has a pretty good version of pappardelle with mushrooms that works well in a microwave, believe it or not, I recommend it. It should be in their packaged Italian section. Here's the M&S dish; it looks the same, but they use cream. I use butter and a little garlic. The trick is to use some good cheese. I can't get good parmigiana or pecorino romano here. The have both but they are costly and tasteless, maybe frozen in transit. Considering myself quasi Romano, I like to use pecorino

2FBED1Y.jpg

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 3

As it happens I am having three pasta meals this week. I know one is tagliatelle but not sure of the others. They where still in the freezer after Christmas and I am using them up before going shopping next week.

Allan

• Love 1

On 04/01/2022 at 06:39, Robert M Estall said:

I don't recall ever seeing this in any shops even though we have a lot more on offer these days, but I could hand-cut it easily with my nifty hand-cranked pasta machine. Only problem is I've got out of the way of using it now that there is quite a bit on offer in fresh packages. Also there is always a certain quantity of Labradoodle fur floating about in my kitchen. I know they are not supposed to shed, but nobody told Flossie.

I'm not sure who told you that doodles don't shed.  Only one of the parents is shedless.  Labs shed more than any breed I know.  Once you cross two breeds, you have no idea which traits from which breed the puppies will acquire, and almost all doodles will have some of the shedding hair from the non-poodle parent.

Jill

On 04/01/2022 at 12:37, Ed Rooney said:

Italians usually put both beef and pork in their ragu.

Ed, that would account for my confusion..

Yours looks better. It glistens like the real thing. M&S looks a little dry.........maybe you could drizzle a bit of extra vergine.

Though who am I to tell you what to do to pasta.

Bologna is the nearest airport to Ravenna (also a pretty good place to eat) so we made sure of a few hours' stopover before the train. A quick visit to the C17 operating theatre at the university then a quick spritz Aperol. This is polite company so I don't think we mention bolognese.

By chance we were in Ravenna when the Mille Miglia passed through. But that's another story.

TD1Y4X.jpg

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1