Personal Use Sales - Not in Zooms

I asked Alamy how IO had had two personal use sales but the images had not been zoomed.

There answer FYI was:

Hi Bill

Alamy measures doesn’t register every action on the site. Views and zooms are only registered from customers who are logged in and who have spent a certain amount of money on Alamy.

Thanks,
Shelley

Alamy Contributor Relations

I do check regularly on zooms mostly as a matter of habit. If an image has been zoomed, that will increase the chances of it turning into a sale. But not a certainty at all. The majority by quite a long way of sales were images not zoomed at all.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Stokie said:

In fact I would be suspicious if a PU WAS zoomed.

John.

I queried this with alamy a while back as an image was zoomed on the day that it sold which seemed unusual. Zooms are by registered clients but I assumed personal use sales are made by individuals. 

Alamy’s reply said “A customer logged in can also purchase a personal use image. We’ve had a look at the image and we think the customer is legitimately using this within the personal use licence parameters.”

This month three images were zoomed and the following day either PU or presentation. The presentation one was due to it was not allowed for PU.

Two are:

F93R35 F93R35 5_9_1118 Jorge Tutor 08 July 2021 Rights Managed Country: Worldwide
Usage: Personal use, Personal prints, cards and gifts. Non-commercial use only, not for resale.
Media: Non-commercial, one time, personal/home use
Start: 08 July 2021
End: 08 July 2026
$ 11.39
E72KCT E72KCT 8_2_0777 Vatican2008 08 July 2021 Rights Managed Country: Worldwide
Usage: Personal use, Impresiones, tarjetas y regalos personales o referencias para artistas. Solo para un uso no comercial; no se permite la reventa.
$ 6.99

1 hour ago, Abiyoyo said:

This month three images were zoomed and the following day either PU or presentation. The presentation one was due to it was not allowed for PU.

Two are:

F93R35 F93R35 5_9_1118 Jorge Tutor 08 July 2021 Rights Managed Country: Worldwide
Usage: Personal use, Personal prints, cards and gifts. Non-commercial use only, not for resale.
$ 11.39
E72KCT E72KCT 8_2_0777 Vatican2008 08 July 2021 Rights Managed Country: Worldwide
Usage: Personal use, Impresiones, tarjetas y regalos personales o referencias para artistas. Solo para un uso no comercial; no se permite la reventa.
$ 6.99

wow awful.  also lowest amount i've seen for PU so far.  that's like 65% discount....  

57 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

wow awful.  also lowest amount i've seen for PU so far.  that's like 65% discount....  

I've just had a PU this month for $ 9.58 ... some really low ball sales this month so far. It's a worrying trend especially as the commission is dropping too.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

I queried this with alamy a while back as an image was zoomed on the day that it sold which seemed unusual. Zooms are by registered clients but I assumed personal use sales are made by individuals. 

Alamy’s reply said “A customer logged in can also purchase a personal use image. We’ve had a look at the image and we think the customer is legitimately using this within the personal use licence parameters.”

Right, fair enough.

It always seems suspicious to me when a registered buyer buys a PU.

John.

2 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

I am convinced Alamy are ignoring registered clients abusing the system by paying for PU or presentation use instead of more expensive usage. But I have no proof……

i do a regular search of all images sold for PU or Presentation.  better not find one. 

2 hours ago, wilkopix said:

I've just had a PU this month for $ 9.58 ... some really low ball sales this month so far. It's a worrying trend especially as the commission is dropping too.

my lowest was $9.98, and that was bad,  to see $6.99, just as they are increasing their commission is really demotivating 

Edited by meanderingemu
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

I am convinced Alamy are ignoring registered clients abusing the system by paying for PU or presentation use instead of more expensive usage. But I have no proof……

I agree with you. Some of the the images I see reported licensed as PU no one would want for personal use. Also often the numbers of PU licensed from a contributor in a month far exceed what could be normal. I have been lucky that I have only licensed 2 and logically they were most likely licensed by the person photographed. Out of curiosity I was going to ask the girl or her father next time I saw them, but with Covid that hasn't happened. They weren't zoomed and couldn't be tracked on the web. 

I am also more than curious as to PU invoice taking ages to show "cleared" surely a  PU is paid by credit/debit card which clears pretty much straight away. If its cleared into Alamy's account straight away (give or take a day at most) is it just accruing interest for a random amount of time untill it's past on. 

Today a friend of mine licenced one of my images, it showed up very quickly as invoiced (matter of hours) we shall see how long it takes to show cleared as its already debited from his account.😒

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, aphperspective said:

I am also more than curious as to PU invoice taking ages to show "cleared" surely a  PU is paid by credit/debit card which clears pretty much straight away. If its cleared into Alamy's account straight away (give or take a day at most) is it just accruing interest for a random amount of time untill it's past on. 

Today a friend of mine licenced one of my images, it showed up very quickly as invoiced (matter of hours) we shall see how long it takes to show cleared as its already debited from his account.😒

actually all my PU are cleared on day 45 as per contract, never had a delay.  One of the rare thing i like about them

1 hour ago, aphperspective said:

Thats basicaly what I was getting at in a meandering way (its been a long day). I know its in the contract so it sits in Alamy's account for a month and a half before passing it on.

see for me Alamy respecting contract in terms and essence is a good.  

-Sales get counted the day they are sold, not the day a client-some of them in a non arms-length relationship- decides to inform them, this will be a big issue over the next 2 weeks - and as stated before Alamy's position on what constitute sales date is not specified in the contract, they just hope the difference is not enough for anyone to challenge

-All sales are likely reported, and

-they don't hang on my report as uncleared for 6-9 months.