Personal use purchases by registered buyers

Apologies if this has been asked before. I had a zoom yesterday and image licenced for a discounted personal use fee. (<$10). The zoom & sale showed under the image in measures, so obviously related. I'm wondering why someone who buys for PU would be a registered buyer. Have others have this happen?

• Love 1

I think some artists buy personal use rights to use as models for paintings and prints of their paintings.  I had one personal use with a line to that effect in Spanish (to be used as an artist's guide or something like that).  Not sure how much has to be changed to qualify as fair use if it's reproduced, but I do know artists often work from models (including live humans) without planning to use them in a painting for sale. 

Yes, I've had this kind of thing happen -- i.e. an image zoomed and then licensed for PU -- but not very often. I've also had a publisher license two images for editorial use and then a third one for PU from the same set,  which of course could be totally legit. 

milan-italy-12th-july-2017-a-man-who-appears-to-be-a-migrant-pleads-JH2NN9.jpg

This one sold for a PU and I investigated with the Alamy team with no success. They simply couldn't find it being used anywhere with a simple google reverse search...no attempt to contact the buyer.

Here's the definition of PU license:

“Our personal use licences would allow for personal prints, cards and gifts, or reference for the artist, for non-commercial use and not for resale.”

How it falls under a PU terms is beyond me? Artist reference?

Ongoing issues and going through all my RM licenses and ticking the box to now allow this loophole. For RF, not possible. 

6 hours ago, cbimages said:

Apologies if this has been asked before. I had a zoom yesterday and image licenced for a discounted personal use fee. (<$10). The zoom & sale showed under the image in measures, so obviously related. I'm wondering why someone who buys for PU would be a registered buyer. Have others have this happen?

Yes, we have recently. Zoomed and purchased the same day for PU. The discount could be if the buyer has purchased an image pack.

I've had a PU licence purchased by a registered buyer. Big discount too.

Alamy told me it's fine.

Pic was the back end of a truck going thru a thermal imaging shed prior to going thru a long tunnel. Not something that would be nice on the living room wall or a homemade birthday card !

No longer allow PU's.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, David Pimborough said:

Not to mention blogs which appear to qualify as personal use ~ I've come across those from time to time

Ah,  that may explain some 'surprising' personal use sales!

Although Website use includes blogs (hover over the ?), so don't know why they would be PU.

Edited by Cryptoprocta
  • Love 1

18 minutes ago, kay said:

Now I am confused.  When I click on Personal Use as though buying there's no mention of blogs.  Blogs is covered under the website license and should cost more, unless I'm missing something somewhere else?

but in the end, personal blogs are clearly excluded from what you can report as misuse, so effectively Alamy is giving green light to use a PU, and as per the contract, since the are now a client of Alamy you cannot contact them. 

I think most PU sales are abuse, nothing new. And Alamy just do not care.
Restricting PU for your images probably also results in removing them from distributor sales. (As all restrictions do.)