More like this please

geogphotos

Usage: Editorial, personneltoday.com and Occupational Health & Wellbeing publication
Media: Magazine - print, digital and electronic

Website URL, magazine title. 

Very useful.

Please provide more like this. 

• Love 2
  • Like 7

I had a few of these last week:

Usage: Editorial, 550 images UK Based Websites & The House, Parliamentary, Civil Service World & Holyrood Magazines.
Media: Magazine - print, digital and electronic

The more info, the better

Edited by Phil Robinson
  • Love 4
  • Like 1

Thanks Phil. All concerned should be applauded.

The more we know about where our images have been licensed the more we can help track down misuses and infringements. 

The old justification that the agent had a to keep the identity of clients secret doesn't hold much water in the majority of cases these days.

Alamy and its contributors need to work together.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The image I mentioned above came back flagged as a possible infringement earlier today. It took seconds to search my sales spreadsheet, and see for sure that this was a legitimate licensed use with the actual name of the website.. Surely that sort of clarity is good for everybody including the client. 

At the moment the wording of so many licences is almost identical.

My sales reports from UIG/Getty now comes with the name of each publisher/client even if not the name of the actual publication. That started near the end of 2020.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

Knowing where our work goes would be useful. I found one of my images in Madeira's Top Ten guide, about the size of a postage stamp (a UK Xmas-sized one, though). Another is on the Nat Geo website (Kidwelly Castle). I really had to look hard to find them. I wonder where the others have gone. Just seeing evidence is good!

Edited by K J Bennett

With their permission I suggest that Alamy starts to routinely include the name of the end-user in the case of its most frequent clients. And then develop it from there.

It can't possibly cause any problem to the clients for us to have this information. It would help us keep a watch out for those who copy from major web sites.

Chasing infringers will eventually create more stock photography customers because the word will spread.

Sorry, haven't worded that very well but hopefully you get my gist.

🍺

• Love 1
  • Like 2

I found doing a search on the forums with the license text can help bring up similar usages which may have been tracked down by other users posting in the "Images Sold" threads. I discovered one on the New York Post website that way.

• Thanks 1

I would like to find a way of identifying BBC web uses because those can be used for DACS. But it is a big organisation with multiple departments buying stock images. The wordage seems to vary and be similar/indistinguishable to that of other media users.

The task is easy with my other agency sales because each BBC licence has 'BBC' within the terms. 😁

The other thing with BBC uses is that its various websites - local, regional, national, global -  are so widely used that there are lots of examples of people helping themselves to pictures from it. As I've said before for contributors to be able to easily distinguish between legitimate and other uses would be just so helpful for all concerned. Alamy can't monitor all this so help and incentivise contributors to do it. 

As the nation's public service broadcaster I can't see that this  would be any sort of problem and it would be a significant first step.

Edited by geogphotos

It seems that this is a new development.  I had an image licensed early January (this year) and it gave full details of where it was going to be used. Not had that before.

Allan

On 17/03/2021 at 17:44, Allan Bell said:

It seems that this is a new development.  I had an image licensed early January (this year) and it gave full details of where it was going to be used. Not had that before.

Allan

The old argument that the agent had to keep photographer and client apart from each other doesn't make any sense these days. I can't think of any reason why Alamy can't let us know these details except of course if the client actually requests anonymity.

• Like 2

As one of the many (?) imaging irregulars, it can only be a good thing. 

My limited sales have given a mild endorphin boost in these troubled times but the inability, unless willing to embark on time consuming searches, to find where they end up puts a damper on things.   If only for the pleasure of pointing family / friends towards them to say "I did that !"

I'm neither prolific enough or indeed concerned enough to step between agent and customer - too much hassle I would think. 

p.s. A regular argument with a colleague is whether we produce images (I know they are digital) or are they still photographs / pictures, no matter how captured?   I prefer the latter description. 

Regards all,

Magnus

I sold two images on March 31 and can't see any extra info about the buyer. I suspect they were sold here in Sweden through distributors but there is no additional information than usual.

Edited by Homy

On 02/04/2021 at 20:27, Homy said:

I sold two images on March 31 and can't see any extra info about the buyer. I suspect they were sold here in Sweden through distributors but there is no additional information than usual.

Unfortunately at the moment it is only a very small number of sale reports that include details about the user. This thread was started as a way of asking Alamy to provide this information more regularly when they are able to. As you suggest it may be more difficult in the case of distributor sales. 

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just a thought on this. 

Would it be possible to have the end user client named in the 'Download Sales Report' option?

It could be a greyed out tick box apart from those who apply for access, are approved, and use the privilege responsibly. 

For chasing potential infringements this would help enormously. 

If you see the image used on the website of an insurance company and then can check and see that the client was actually Freda Bloggs and Son, landscape gardeners, it would make things much more straightforward.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, Phil Robinson said:

Anyone remember tearsheets.......?

I've still got a whole bunch in plastic laminates that I used to hawk around magazines and design companies when I was working in London!

Phil

Reviving this discussion now that we have a new dedicated infringement team.

When I see pictures in the UK newspaper websites and BBC they give a credit to Alamy and have a copyright notice, often they name the photographer.

I don't understand why, in turn, the photographer is not told by Alamy who has licensed each image. 

What is the benefit to Alamy of keeping us in the dark and making us trawl around Google just to find such basic and important information? 

• Love 2
  • Like 1