Stone wall ID

John Mitchell

Does anyone happen to know if this type of masonry / stonework has a specific name? I called it a "mosaic" wall for lack of a more precise term.

Also, I'm assuming that the yellow stuff is a common type of lichen?

Thanks in advance.

yellow-lichen-growing-on-a-grey-granite-

Edited by John Mitchell

1 hour ago, Mr Standfast said:

From Alamy pictures...

Irregular stone wall

Protruding mortar

Raised joint or jointing

False crazy paving effect

From the interweb

Strap pointing  ??

Raised ribbon pointing ??

A welcome diversion but nothing concrete.

Thanks. Excellent suggestions. I had "irregular" in there but none of the others.

You never know, there might be some concrete in there as well. 😉

Edited by John Mitchell

Maybe include it's a bad idea. 😁

Unless of course this is in the South of France or Spain where they have no rain.

Maybe just search for %stone%wall% in AoA to see what clients are looking for and what sort of words they're using.

wim

Wall or paving stones?  If it's a wall, it's probably a veneer over some more substantial construction, applied as decorative stone.  Most stone walls are either cut stone or field stone in concrete.  You might want to see if a local architectural college could help.

5 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Maybe include it's a bad idea. 😁

Unless of course this is in the South of France or Spain where they have no rain.

Maybe just search for %stone%wall% in AoA to see what clients are looking for and what sort of words they're using.

wim

Not a lot happening in AIM when it comes to stone wall searches. This might license as a background or concept image one day (then maybe not). The yellow lichen could help as well. Whatever the case, I like the pattern for some reason, so I uploaded it. Images like these often do better at those "Hey, Buddy, can you spare a dime?" agencies, but I can't bring myself to...

39 minutes ago, MizBrown said:

Wall or paving stones?  If it's a wall, it's probably a veneer over some more substantial construction, applied as decorative stone.  Most stone walls are either cut stone or field stone in concrete.  You might want to see if a local architectural college could help.

It's a wall. Lots of them in my neighbourhood, usually granite.

25 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

It's a wall. Lots of them in my neighbourhood, usually granite.

Ask an architect in the area if they're house walls, otherwise, ask a landscaper if they're garden walls.   This may be of interest: 

https://www.aboutcivil.org/Design-and-Construction-of-stone-buildings.html

The mortar (probably cement based) between the stones is proud, in that it protrudes from the stonework. The mortar between the stones is known as pointing.

So you could put 'proud' and 'pointing' in as  keywords.

That style of pointing is sometimes known as ribbon pointing.

You could put ribbon in as a keyword, but then people are more likely to use ribbon when searching for a piece of thin cloth material !

Hope that helps.

😷

5 hours ago, AlbertSnapper said:

The mortar (probably cement based) between the stones is proud, in that it protrudes from the stonework. The mortar between the stones is known as pointing.

So you could put 'proud' and 'pointing' in as  keywords.

That style of pointing is sometimes known as ribbon pointing.

You could put ribbon in as a keyword, but then people are more likely to use ribbon when searching for a piece of thin cloth material !

Hope that helps.

😷

Strap pointing in English as Mr Standfast said earlier.

wim

From the title of the thread I thought John was stone walled in the ID of the image. That was before seeing the image in question.🤪

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell