Affinity reintroduce their 90 day free trial and 50% discount COVID Lockdown offers

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

But it is not possible to keyword/tag images like LR. If it did I would consider a trial.

Yes, as Mark says, they didn't used to let you enter even basic captions and keywords but they do now. To give them credit they do constantly update the software at no extra cost to you, and it's only £25 for now. It's not a Lightroom beater though, but definitely one possible alternative to Photoshop for those reluctant to subscribe. The interface is very different though.

Edited by Harry Harrison

I saw the offer which is very reasonable, I had already bought Affinity a few years ago and it is a viable alternative to PS which is what I mainly use, but I have stopped using it because the lack of keyword function. Currently subscribe to PS.

5 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Captions and tags can be added, but it's not as sophisticated as LR.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vdfH6JfQJkY

Mark

Thank you Mark. As you say not as sophisticated. The software still needs to come a lot closer to the LR system of keywording.

Allan

3 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

Yes, as Mark says, they didn't used to let you enter even basic captions and keywords but they do now. To give them credit they do constantly update the software at no extra cost to you, and it's only £25 for now. It's not a Lightroom beater though, but definitely one possible alternative to Photoshop for those reluctant to subscribe. The interface is very different though.

As you say Harry it would be another steep learning curve just like LR was when I started with it.

Although I object to the monthly fee to Adobe I am comfortable with LR so will continue with LR for the time being until something approaching LR operations and layout wise comes along.

Allan

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

something approaching LR operations and layout wise comes along.

Allan

Have a look at Darktable. Its Linux opensource stuff so you can't beat it for value and it can be installed on Windows and MacOS.

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

As you say Harry it would be another steep learning curve just like LR was when I started with it.

As I've probably said Ad Nauseum on the forum, I'm a huge Lightroom fan but still use Lightroom Perpetual 6.14. I'm totally happy with the image processing side (though I know I'm missing some good new features in the latest version - fortunately I don't know what I'm missing!) and unlike some others I love the cataloguing/database side of it and rely on it in many ways. I'd have to say that there is nothing to compare with it and I don't think there is likely to be. If you don't use the cataloguing then there are many good alternatives for captioning/keywording, at the front of the queue would seem to be CameraBits Photo Mechanic. That has recently announced a database version (Photomechanic Plus) that has been many years in the making, I've not seen anything very positive about it though. nor have I seen anything that makes me think it can import the cataloguing features from Lightroom.

34 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

I know I'm missing some good new features in the latest version - fortunately I don't know what I'm missing!

Harry This is a good summary of what you are missing. 😀

I could live without many of the new features but for me the speed enhancements during import and development are the absolute deal breaker. The database has not changed a lot though. It remains outstandingly fast. 

One thing I hadn't realised until I did it just now is that because I have Lightroom Perpetual I can log into my Adobe account and download the latest version of Adobe Bridge for free, actually I'm on Windows 7 so Bridge 2020 is the latest for me but otherwise I could have had Bridge 2021. There may be other ways of getting hold of it, that is also good for captioning and keywording of course.

15 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

As I've probably said Ad Nauseum on the forum, I'm a huge Lightroom fan but still use Lightroom Perpetual 6.14.

I would still be on LR 6.14 if I had not been stupid enough to buy a camera whose RAWs needed the subscription plan LR (LrC) to process.🤬

Allan

14 hours ago, MDM said:

Harry This is a good summary of what you are missing. 😀

Thanks for posting. I was missing the Texture slider. Was using Haze slider but in some cases Texture slider might be better. Yes I know they both do different actions on the image but there seems to be a crossover point.

Allan

3 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

I was missing the Texture slider.

I just discovered a use for it, saw a YouTube tutorial and he referred to it as the hidden noise reduction slider. I have used it to reduce noise in an image without the image smearing. I use it in the camera raw filter in PS.

4 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Thanks for posting. I was missing the Texture slider. Was using Haze slider but in some cases Texture slider might be better. Yes I know they both do different actions on the image but there seems to be a crossover point.

Allan

Could you not convert your RAWs do DNGs and then use your old LR version?  Or is the DNG software not up to date with your RAWs?

Jill

40 minutes ago, Jill Morgan said:

Could you not convert your RAWs do DNGs and then use your old LR version?  Or is the DNG software not up to date with your RAWs?

I think that would be an alternative though possibly too late for Allan now that he's subscribed. For Fuji I was recommended Iridient X-transformer for this purpose but they do different versions for Canon, Nikon, Olympus & Sony. If I felt the need to get a very recent camera that is what I would do I think, the RAW processing is reputed to be better than Lightroom for Fuji X files in fact.

https://www.iridientdigital.com/store/

55 minutes ago, Jill Morgan said:

Jill

Before I took out the LrC subscription I did consider raw to DNG conversion but after reading everything I could find about DNGs I decided not to go that route as it was indicated that the Sony raws lost something in the conversion. Can't remember what though.

Allan

2 hours ago, Sally R said:

I'm still on a budget and still have a subscription phobia, so I think I will be giving it a go.

That's good, nothing to lose really with that 90-day trial, maybe let us know how you get on. I'm thinking of having a go with the publishing option, might be useful.

On 21/01/2021 at 15:42, Harry Harrison said:

I think that would be an alternative though possibly too late for Allan now that he's subscribed. For Fuji I was recommended Iridient X-transformer for this purpose but they do different versions for Canon, Nikon, Olympus & Sony. If I felt the need to get a very recent camera that is what I would do I think, the RAW processing is reputed to be better than Lightroom for Fuji X files in fact.

https://www.iridientdigital.com/store/

I still have the LR6.14 version on my computer so it would be possible to end the subscription to LrC and use Affinity for the new camera (not so new now) to process RAWs if they support it. Will have to check first.

Allan

8 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I still have the LR6.14 version on my computer so it would be possible to end the subscription to LrC

Yes, in theory and hopefully that might be possible for you if you decide to go that way. I was thinking more of what happens to your now updated Lightroom catalogues which include images from your new camera and that are now I think at least 2 process versions beyond your LR 6.14. If you stop paying the subscription then I think the 'Develop' module is disabled so you are just left in effect with 'Library'. If you've kept a copy of your LR 6.14 catalogue(s) then I suppose you can extract your new camera images from the now frozen CC LR catalogue(s) and deal with them in Affinity. I must say that the prospect of having to do that if I fell out of love with CC Lightroom Classic has always put me off opting for the subscription plan.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

Yes, in theory and hopefully that might be possible for you if you decide to go that way. I was thinking more of what happens to your now updated Lightroom catalogues which include images from your new camera and that are now I think at least 2 process versions beyond your LR 6.14. If you stop paying the subscription then I think the 'Develop' module is disabled so you are just left in effect with 'Library'. If you've kept a copy of your LR 6.14 catalogue(s) then I suppose you can extract your new camera images from the now frozen CC LR catalogue(s) and deal with them in Affinity. I must say that the prospect of having to do that if I fell out of love with CC Lightroom Classic has always put me off opting for the subscription plan.

I have my own filing system so will not be affected by the change.

Allan

22 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

I have been looking at camera RAW support and the 1.8 version seems to support my Sony A7 III but the earlier version 1.6 does not.

Do you know which version they are offering at half price? 

I have not been able to find it in my searches.

Allan

6 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I have been looking at camera RAW support and the 1.8 version seems to support my Sony A7 III but the earlier version 1.6 does not.

Do you know which version they are offering at half price? 

I have not been able to find it in my searches.

Allan

I had V1.6.4.104 and got an update to V1.8.5 for free. So I guess you just get the latest. Not sure if an update to 2.0 will be free.

wim