Camera systems

I am considering purchasing a Sony RX100 V series point and shoot. I plan on using it for stock photography and video clips, and possibly even vlogging. Anyone out there using the RX100 series cameras, and what is you experience? Thank you and Happy New Year. 2021 has to be better than 2020.

Rich

It's worth doing a forum search for RX100, lots of posts that may be of interest.

I bought an RX100 MK7/VII in April 2020, and have been very pleased with it. Due to its smaller sensor I generally resize images to 4000 pixels on the longest side to avoid noise being present, and use in weather conditions when I can ideally shoot at iso 100. Others may not be so cautious. I carry mine when out and about when I'm on walks, but still use my D750's for planned shoots as they are far more versatile. With current short days and often poor light it gets less use now in winter. I've sold images from my RX100. If conditions are such that you need to quickly change settings, I find delving into the menu is no where near as quick as with DSLR's that have quick access buttons. I certainly don't regret buying mine. 

Similarly, I use the rx10 iii which I be,I eve has the same or similar sensor to the rx100 and I limit it’s useable at the moment in darker weather due to smaller sensor. Nifty camera the rx100 though! I have a lumix that’s similar size and they’re great for taking everywhere

I have the RX100 MK 1 purchased 2018 -  although it does not have a viewfinder something I thought I would struggle with, I've now got used to it.  I wanted something cheap and small enough to carry with me everyday whether in a handbag or coat pocket.    I've also sold images on here taken with it.  Good luck with whatever one you get......

Carol

See here for a recent detailed discussion of RX100 series cameras. 

Here is a very useful review of the different cameras in the series. If you are intending to use it for vlogging  then you may want to be looking at the Mark VII as it is the only one with a microphone port for use with an external mic. 

I have a RX100/3 and RX100/VA,  I carry one around with me every time I go out just incase I spot something of interest. But still use my Nikons for planned shots. One thing I have noticed is that when using the RX no one seems to take much notice of you as opposed to the larger Nikons.

I took this with my MK3. Funny story. I waded into shallow water to take this. The gentle wave action was still enough to erode the sand under my feet. Down I went, being tossed on my back, on my front and all around. I held that camera high while this was going on and it never got a drop of seawater on it. My son-in-law watched from the beach and wished he’d had a camcorder. It would have starred in television’s “America’s Funniest Home Videos”.

Oh. And this guy watched it all and never made an attempt to rescue me. #thanksalot

F9BNP5.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue

13 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Nice pic. Oh the lengths we go to for a good image.

Allan

Allan, I never try, but somehow I’m the object of hilarious stories told by my family. I start out trying to do something seriously right, with dignity, that usually ends horribly wrong, but funny. Most of the time there are witnesses. I ain’t tellin’ about the ones unseen.

I don’t mind, I laugh at myself which gives them the license to laugh at and with me. The world needs laughter and it’s ok if I provide some. A lot of the time the most hilarious things, they say, are the expressions I get on my face. Shocked, or innocent (denial) as in “I didn’t really do that” usually involving huge eyes.

Getting on the lift to snow ski always terrified me. Where you stand in line is pure ice and worn sloping sides. When “your” chair comes around, you have seconds to shuffle forward and get your body in a somewhat sitting position ready for the chair to hit you in the knees.

I’m standing there with my daughter, freaking out. Seriously. Everyone hated getting on the lift with me, mainly because of flying elbows when we get off on the same kind of ice and sloping sides.  I always cleared my space with my elbows and they got knocked down.
I see the chair coming, shuffle forward, sit down. Whew, I made it. The lift rises. I hear the daughter I think is sitting beside me screaming, “MOM, MOM, NO!!” The voice is coming from behind me. Still freaked out and glassy-eyed, I look at my lift mate. A 10 year old boy sitting beside me staring like I’m an alien.  How did that happen. Was I transported? Daughter is still screaming like the world is ending scaring the cr*p out of me and I bail. Fall about 8 feet and land in the snow on my belly, with my face planted in the snow.

I’m told the look on my snow-covered face was priceless when I slowly push up with my arms. ‘Twas the eyes, they say.

• Love 1