Just uploaded my 3 sample images had to delete one because QC said it was to small. So I double checked in PS and it lists size as just under 20M. Confused. Also a bit surprised to see the minimum file size of 17m.  I shoot with a 24 meg camera so that would mean almost no cropping? Hard to do in wildlife. 

Minimum file size for Alamy is 17MB Uncompressed, so the size you see when opened in Photoshop etc. It actually equates to around 6MP (just slightly under in fact) if you compare it to your camera spec. so no problem with cropping when necessary. This confuses a great many new contributors.

I don't know why your '20M' file failed but check pixel dimensions, should be larger than 3000 x 2000 as a rule of thumb. A 20MB uncompressed file would be of course so there must be something else going on.

• Love 2
  • Like 1

I use a 24 MP camera (Sony a6000) most of the time, and the images are 6000 x 4000 pixels and about 68 MB uncompressed. So there's plenty of room for cropping and resizing. As HH mentioned, as long as your images are at least 3000 pixels on the long side, there shouldn't be any problem. Best of luck sorting this out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/12/2020 at 19:24, John Mitchell said:

I use a 24 MP camera (Sony a6000) most of the time, and the images are 6000 x 4000 pixels and about 68 MB uncompressed. So there's plenty of room for cropping and resizing. As HH mentioned, as long as your images are at least 3000 pixels on the long side, there shouldn't be any problem. Best of luck sorting this out.

Thanks so much Harry and John for the info. Even though our studio was an early adaptor to electronic capture at that time my role was photographer only. The staff pretty much kept me out of the computer room so now that I am retired I find myself way behind the curve on so many things. So if I understand, while in PS if I go to ( image/ file size ) that is the number that needs to be above 17MB as long as the pixel count is ok. Which is much different than what bridge tells me and even different than what pictures tells me if I hoover over a thumb nail. Just wait for an approval from QC at this point. Thanks again.

On 17/12/2020 at 01:29, Harry Harrison said:

Minimum file size for Alamy is 17MB Uncompressed, so the size you see when opened in Photoshop etc. It actually equates to around 6MP (just slightly under in fact) if you compare it to your camera spec. so no problem with cropping when necessary. This confuses a great many new contributors.

I don't know why your '20M' file failed but check pixel dimensions, should be larger than 3000 x 2000 as a rule of thumb. A 20MB uncompressed file would be of course so there must be something else going on.

Thanks so much Harry and John for the info. Even though our studio was an early adaptor to electronic capture at that time my role was photographer only. The staff pretty much kept me out of the computer room so now that I am retired I find myself way behind the curve on so many things. So if I understand, while in PS if I go to ( image/ file size ) that is the number that needs to be above 17MB as long as the pixel count is ok. Which is much different than what bridge tells me and even different than what pictures tells me if I hoover over a thumb nail. Just wait for an approval from QC at this point. Thanks again.

• Love 1

29 minutes ago, Heilman Photography said:

So if I understand, while in PS if I go to ( image/ file size ) that is the number that needs to be above 17MB as long as the pixel count is ok. Which is much different than what bridge tells me and even different than what pictures tells me if I hoover over a thumb nail. Just wait for an approval from QC at this point. Thanks again.

That is correct as long as you are looking at an 8 bit image (it will be 8 bit if it is a JPEG). So if it is a minimum of 17MB in the Image Size dialog box, you will be fine. The pixel count is directly proportional to the pixel dimensions in MB so you don't have to think about that. The whole terminology thing is a bit of a mess for reasons I won't bother mentioning to avoid further confusion but that is why you are seeing something different in Bridge. Alamy's terminology (uncompressed file size or open file size) is non-standard and needs updating for an age when many people are using Lightroom which gives measurements in MP and many people never even open a file any more.

So for simplicity just use the Image Size dialog in Photoshop and you will be fine. 

Edited by MDM

4 minutes ago, MDM said:

That is correct as long as you are looking at an 8 bit image (it will be 8 bit if it is a JPEG). So if it is a minimum of 17MB in the Image Size dialog box, you will be fine. The pixel count is directly proportional to the pixel dimensions in MB so you don't have to think about that. The whole terminology thing is a bit of a mess for reasons I won't bother mentioning to avoid further confusion but that is why you are seeing something different in Bridge. Alamy's terminology (uncompressed file size or open file size) is non-standard and needs updating for an age when many people are using Lightroom which gives measurements in MP and many people never even open a file any more.

So for simplicity just use the Image Size dialog in Photoshop and you will be fine. 

Thanks! I shoot raw and use LR for at least 95% of my work flow so if I want to put in on Alamy I will simply run it through PS. Thanks again!

Unless you crop and change the standard aspect ration a file size 3000 pixels wide covers you for uploading to Alamy. I have Photoshop displaying the open file size in the bottom left corner corner. 3000 pixels wide from my Nikon 750's equates to 17.2 mp. Last time I uploaded that file size was when I was shooting at night at around iso 5000.

1 hour ago, Heilman Photography said:

Thanks! I shoot raw and use LR for at least 95% of my work flow so if I want to put in on Alamy I will simply run it through PS. Thanks again!

I only use Lightroom and if I have done a lot of cropping I just check to make sure the long side is at least 3000 pixels. I have my info set up to show pixel dimensions so when I hit "i" I can quickly see it.

Paulette

• Love 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NYCat said:

I only use Lightroom and if I have done a lot of cropping I just check to make sure the long side is at least 3000 pixels. I have my info set up to show pixel dimensions so when I hit "i" I can quickly see it.

Paulette

That will only work for sure  haven't cropped in anything greater than 3x2 or thereabouts. So there is still some guess work unless you do the full calculation of the cropped image dimensions and then convert to MB (which may bring the added complication of how pixels are converted to MB). As the criterion that Alamy uses is >17 MB and not > 6MP,  then it will probably be easier to open the image in Photoshop and check the size in MB as described above. Of course this is only important for images that are borderline in size from cropping or if using old low MP cameras. 

Confusingly, Bridge shows only the file size on disk in MB.

9 hours ago, NYCat said:

It's a real shame that Lightroom won't display 'Cropped MP', that would make it much easier for different crop ratios - 4:3, square etc., in fact anything that isn't precisely 3:2 where the 3000 pixel long side rule of thumb works very well.

4 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

It's a real shame that Lightroom won't display 'Cropped MP', that would make it much easier for different crop ratios - 4:3, square etc., in fact anything that isn't precisely 3:2 where the 3000 pixel long side rule of thumb works very well.

as i often created different ratio i now have the 3000*2000 equivalent for my most prevalent ratios. (i have rounded up for ease since 3000 was already that way)

Ration    Longest side

3:2               3000  (x2000)

7:5               2900  (x2071)

5:4               2750  (x2200)

1;1               2450  (x2450)

16:9             3300  (X1856)

4:3               2850  (x2137)

so  yes 3000 is actually a good rule of thump for all ratio "squarer" than 3:2 

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Mr Standfast said:

If ever a topic justified a sticky at the top of the forum, this is it.

Stay safe

There used to be one but it was not a lot more enlightening than the official guidance. A re-think of the whole thing and a rewrite for 2021 is needed but I predict that won't happen given how long this confusion has gone on. 

Edited by MDM
  • Love 1

Use Nikon D50 

Raw: Dimensions -= 3008 x 2000

Process in Lightroom and export as jpeg to upload to Alamy =  File size  17.2mb in PS

Bridge Content tab info for jpeg = 3008 x 2000  at 240ppi

Re: cropping. Copy space around main subject is desirable for some customers so maybe a good idea to upload cropped and uncropped image.

Hope info helps.

Edited by Cee Dee Dickinson

On 26/12/2020 at 15:34, sb photos said:

Unless you crop and change the standard aspect ration a file size 3000 pixels wide covers you for uploading to Alamy. I have Photoshop displaying the open file size in the bottom left corner corner. 3000 pixels wide from my Nikon 750's equates to 17.2 mp. Last time I uploaded that file size was when I was shooting at night at around iso 5000.

Thanks, that helps.

18 hours ago, Cee Dee Dickinson said:

Use Nikon D50 

Raw: Dimensions -= 3008 x 2000

Process in Lightroom and export as jpeg to upload to Alamy =  File size  17.2mb in PS

Bridge Content tab info for jpeg = 3008 x 2000  at 240ppi

Re: cropping. Copy space around main subject is desirable for some customers so maybe a good idea to upload cropped and uncropped image.

Hope info helps.

I agree on the two versions of some images. What I may do in LR is create an export preset just for Alamy then if I have an image that I want to add to Alamy I will export it to a folder uncropped with no vinyetting and minimal adjustments. Then if I want that same image to go to my e-commerce site I will make further adjustments and do a second export.

• 6 months later...