44 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

All of those shots could be news pics, but culling, a quick edit, headlines and captions would have to be done as quickly as possible.  As a press photographer I’ve learnt to only take a handful of pics so I’ve less to go through when selecting which to send.  Do news! 

Thank you for your wise guidance. As most other contributors, I've been kicked out of live news. If I lived in a static place, I might be interested in giving it another go but being permanently on the road, it would be quite a challenge. As an example, tonight the Internet signal is 2 bars out of 4. And we are on an unpowered site. Not a complete no-no with solar but it gives you an idea. Also the Australian market is very small. I could be wrong.

4 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Yeah, most of us have been producing news-worthy snaps in the lockdowns. say laa V

You're fluent in French Edo! I first wondered if you had trouble typing with one hand but then got it. LOL!!

12 minutes ago, gvallee said:

Thank you for your wise guidance. As most other contributors, I've been kicked out of live news. If I lived in a static place, I might be interested in giving it another go but being permanently on the road, it would be quite a challenge. As an example, tonight the Internet signal is 2 bars out of 4. And we are on an unpowered site. Not a complete no-no with solar but it gives you an idea. Also the Australian market is very small. I could be wrong.

Ah, OK, makes sense, although worth an email to Alamy to see if you can get access?

• Love 1

1 minute ago, PAL Media said:

Weather related live news (Specially dramatic) has a worldwide audience. I think you are in an ideal position to do news.

I'm enjoying my retirement and being a Grey Nomad! LOL!! No hassles, no deadlines, no stress, just endless holidays and travel. Bliss!!

Seriously, you are right. There is currently a huge fire on a nearby World-Heritage island which has been going on for several weeks. Quite a bit of smoke has drifted to the mainland. This would be news. 

I was actually in town yesterday where it was quite choking, my eyes were smarting. Then I saw a guy appearing to measure smoke levels in town centre  with some weird instruments. I put my editorial cap on and took a shot. Then went to him and asked him what he was doing. He was measuring a big tree for the Council to put Xmas lights in it... I hit the delete button.

30 minutes ago, gvallee said:

You're fluent in French Edo! I first wondered if you had trouble typing with one hand but then got it. LOL!!

oh yeah I parel eh voo pretty good. in a bakery, for example, I'm semi-fluent. I point at bun of some kind and say the name . . . but usually in Italian.

4 hours ago, gvallee said:

the Australian market is very small.

Well, I took seven photographs airside at Sydney waiting for a connection to LHR. Two went to Alamy and one licensed within weeks.

This was the second time I had set foot in Australia. The first time was on the way out. I have still only spent about 12 hours there.

I wasn't quite so restrained in New Zealand but even so I only took 1500 in three weeks. About 28% keepers. Nearly 200 in Napier, though. I did go a bit mad there.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1

On 26/11/2020 at 10:14, Ed Rooney said:

Digital stock is a far more complex and labor intensive pursuit than what I did back in the film era for Tony Stone and others. Now with digital, there's planning which subjects to capture, the shoot itself, image editing, and tagging the snaps. 

Which one of these chores is the most difficult and time consuming for you. 

Stay safe,

Edo

I'm fine with the photography side of things, preparing for a shot, getting the lighting right, shooting and reshooting till I like the composition etc. It's the keywording that sucks, and especially at the moment, going back a few years to my first photos and realising the keywording was pretty bad and redoing those. So re-keywording is the worst for me!

Steve