Sudden increase in Presentation Sales

Recently, I've noticed a sudden increase in Presentation Sales.  It actually represents 63% of my sales and there are variations in the price.

Previously, I've only had the occasional Presentation Sale.

I've not changed any of my settings.  Any thoughts on why this might be?

I reported an uptick in presentation and PU sales earlier this year, but things now seem to have gone back to "normal" -- i.e. I'm getting 2-3 on average out of about 14 sales per month. However, sometimes they do come in wavelets of sorts. Like everything else, it's unpredictable.

I am seeing an uptick in low-priced sales overall, but that's another story. 😟

• Love 1

I had 3 in the space of two days this month, 2 presentation and one personal use, all at $19.99, full US advertised price.

Although the uptick in presentation sales could be linked to people working from home, I wonder if some are just unfamiliar buyers clicking on the simplest cheapest license they see. I say that because I had two in one day of the same state park, landscapes you would hang on your walls, one Personal Use (RF file) and the next one Presentation (RM, restricted so no PU) and wonder if the second wasn't actually someone buying both to print and hang on their walls, opting for Presentation on the second image when they could not get a Personal Use license for it. If that's the case it's really unfair since it's a popular image for prints and I made more than 4 times as much with a single 8 x 10 sale on FAA just the week before. But there's no way to find it on someone's wall.

It could also be the same buyer clicking on the first option available for each image and using it for something totally different. Perhaps Alamy feels that $20 is cheap enough to keep novice buyers from looking at the micros for something cheaper. 

I've actually seen an uptick in prices this month, with the PU sales I mentioned being the lowest so far this month, but my sales earlier this year were often $, so they could only go up. 

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had a bunch of artistic FAA images on here for a short period at one time. Then when PU and Presentation came onboard, I deleted them all. I didn’t want anyone to get them for $19.99 when I get way more on FAA.
Best decision for me.

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I had a bunch of artistic FAA images on here for a short period at one time. Then when PU and Presentation came onboard, I deleted them all. I didn’t want anyone to get them for $19.99 when I get way more on FAA.
Best decision for me.

My recent PU sales are anything but artistic, but the subjects could conceivably lend themselves to prints and cards. Surprisingly, some of my ordinary "stock" photos have done OK on FAA. That said, two of these three recent PU sales have licensed for editorial use in the past, one for $$$. The third one, a relatively new image, was also taken with editorial in mind.

1 minute ago, John Mitchell said:

My recent PU sales are anything but artistic, but the subjects could conceivably lend themselves to prints and cards. Surprisingly, some of my ordinary "stock" photos have done OK on FAA. That said, two of these three recent PU sales have licensed for editorial use in the past, one for $$$. The third one, a relatively new image, was also taken with editorial in mind.

The short time I had my artistic ones here, there was no interest. Wrong place. They really weren’t suitable for editorial, at all. Buyers who want that type of image goes to POD sites. Even so, if someone had accidentally stumbled on one for PU price, I would not have been happy.

7 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

The short time I had my artistic ones here, there was no interest. Wrong place. They really weren’t suitable for editorial, at all. Buyers who want that type of image goes to POD sites. Even so, if someone had accidentally stumbled on one for PU price, I would not have been happy.

Yup, I get it. That makes sense since you produce images specifically for the art market. In my case, I upload quite a few images here -- backgrounds, found abstracts, pretty flowers, etc. -- that I feel are most likely to license for personal use, and I see Alamy as a much better home for them than microstock agencies, which I'm not a fan of. Also, FAA is a different market than PU in a way. People shopping at POD sites tend to want everything done for them -- i.e. printing and framing. They don't seem to be DIY types, in my experience anyway.

Edited by John Mitchell

8 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Best decision for me.

I must be doing something very wrong Betty  as my PU leases sometimes pay more than some of my, admittedly rare,  FAA sales, e.g T shirt for $5

Two of my 3 sales this month are PU or presentation. They pay better than newspaper web use.

Edited by Bryan

15 hours ago, Bryan said:

I must be doing something very wrong Betty  as my PU leases sometimes pay more than some of my, admittedly rare,  FAA sales, e.g T shirt for $5

Two of my 3 sales this month are PU or presentation. They pay better than newspaper web use.

Some of my 33 pages of sales on FFA.

91.05, 51.58, 76.3, 83.81, 97.63, 82.53, 81.88, 138.15, 83.23, 124.68, 91.30, five more in the 80s, 103.78, 104.08, 101.97, 147.14, 108.24, 101.91, 101.89, 124.06, 124.43, 136.97, 118.82, 5 more in 90s, and this is only a few.  Many, many in 40s, 50s 60s & 70s. I got tired of typing! :D

I’m selling a whole lot of washable masks, because most of my art can be put on a mask. I just ordered myself a new phone case with one of my watercolor paintings on it. 
Today I sold a 500 piece puzzle with my African Gray on it. Now you know why I don’t want to sell them for PU prices.

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1

48 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

91.05, 51.58, 76.3, 83.81, 97.63, 82.53, 81.88, 138.15, 83.23, 124.68, 91.30, five more in the 80s, 103.78, 104.08, 101.97, 147.14, 108.24, 101.91, 101.89, 124.06, 124.43, 136.97, 118.82, 5 more in 90s, and this is only a few.  Many, many in 40s, 50s 60s & 70s. I got tired of typing! :D

I’m selling a whole lot of washable masks, because most of my art can be put on a mask. I just ordered myself a new phone case with one of my watercolor paintings on it. 
Today I sold a 500 piece puzzle with my African Gray on it. Now you know why I don’t want to sell them for PU prices.

That's an impressive list of sales. I tend to stick with prints, greeting cards, and phone cases. My sales on FAA are pretty sparse nowadays. However, we seem to be using a similar pricing scheme. My last print sale (in November) netted me about $105. It was one of my Mexico images that has licensed several times on Alamy.

2 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

That's an impressive list of sales. I tend to stick with prints, greeting cards, and phone cases. My sales on FAA are pretty sparse nowadays. However, we seem to be using a similar pricing scheme. My last print sale (in November) netted me about $105. It was one of my Mexico images that has licensed several times on Alamy.

Did you get your implant eye surgery on one eye today?

Sudden increase in Presentations? You're not kidding. 3 sales this month, 3 Presentations.

I don't care about the price, I opted out of PU because of misuse (I caught a few). The sheer number I get every month cannot all be Presentations. I want out.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gvallee said:

Sudden increase in Presentations? You're not kidding. 3 sales this month, 3 Presentations.

I don't care about the price, I opted out of PU because of misuse (I caught a few). The sheer number I get every month cannot all be Presentations. I want out.

Presentations have replaced PU sales pretty much since I opted out of PU ... the only difference being that I don't get refunds like I did with PU ... but who could have known there were so many newsletters ...

• Love 1

12 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

You clearly inhabit a different FAA universe to me Betty, perhaps I should review my price structure, but I'm struggling to get sales as it is. Doing a bit better than breaking even, but not by much.  In contrast to your experience my best ever Alamy sale $$$$ went on FAA for low $$. I guess that there is learning to be done. Confess I don't get involved with the social side of FAA, maybe that makes a difference, while my Alamy port is many times larger than that there.

10 hours ago, Bryan said:

You clearly inhabit a different FAA universe to me Betty, perhaps I should review my price structure, but I'm struggling to get sales as it is. Doing a bit better than breaking even, but not by much.  In contrast to your experience my best ever Alamy sale $$$$ went on FAA for low $$. I guess that there is learning to be done. Confess I don't get involved with the social side of FAA, maybe that makes a difference, while my Alamy port is many times larger than that there.

You're not alone, Bryan. I'm also in a parallel universe to Betty's. These days, I'm lucky to average one FAA sale per month. Usually, though, it's a print sale, and the net earnings make staying with FAA worthwhile. As mentioned, I tend to stay away from the low-priced products. The small markups don't seem worthwhile, plus I can't see most of my images adorning a tea cozy (soon to be announced, I'm sure).  I always subscribe to the "digital streaming" option. However I've never made a penny from it. Not sure that it even works.

• Love 1

21 hours ago, gvallee said:

Might the surge in presentation use sales have something to do with the dramatic rise in the number of people holding business meetings and doing presentations online during the pandemic?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

Might the surge in presentation use sales have something to do with the dramatic rise in the number of people holding business meetings and doing presentations online during the pandemic?

Sorry John, I'm not buying that.

• Love 1

15 minutes ago, gvallee said:

Sorry John, I'm not buying that.

I understand. Just a crackpot theory of mine. In my case it's all PU sales -- four sales so far this month, three PU and one editorial.

As discussed in another thread, I think that tiered downloads are the best option for these types of licenses. On my personal website, I've been experimenting with offering three sizes (easy to do with PhotoShelter) -- Small (500 pixels), Medium (1500 pixels), and Large (2500 pixels) -- for personal and education use. That said, it has generated zero sales so far (not unexpected, though).

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 1

• 4 weeks later...

For my images, which are mostly artistic, I suspect all of these "presentation or newsletter" sales are fraudulent purchases, and actually end up being printed as wall art. It is challenging to have images that are both sold as art prints elsewhere and for stock on Alamy. Considering removing some of them from Alamy.

On 07/12/2020 at 12:02, Betty LaRue said:

Best decision for me.

I also have tons of images on FAA and am selling very well there. I am concerned that about the likely fraudulent "presentation or newsletter" sales here, which are probably art buyers printing themselves. I put a restriction on "personal use", so no more of those, but "presentation or newsletter" most likely is the same thing.

Considering removing images from Alamy to avoid this problem.

• Love 1