Do you have comma and space or just comma?

geogphotos

Question

When I copy and paste my Alamy keywords it comes out like this without any space:

UK,Britain,British,England,English,Suffolk,East Anglia,East Anglian,Ipswich,town,centre,urban,urban area,city,historic,arch,arched,archway,building,buildings,architecture,architectural,street,arcade,United Kingdom

Do you keyword like this or leave a space? I have always left a space after each comma.

What is the 'industry' standard? I do this work in Photoshelter and send to Alamy and elsewhere.

Edited by geogphotos

8 answers to this question

I think either on its own is sufficient- I only use a comma myself. Of course if you use a phrase tag you need both, but I'm pretty sure a space next to a comma is ignored if not removed.

Unless I''ve missed the point- I don''t have images elsewhere.

Edited by spacecadet

When I copy keywords from Alamy and paste to IMatch it automatically adds the spaces. Mario Westphal, the developer of IMatch, is a stickler for keeping to standards (XMP, IPTC, etc.) so it probably is the industry standard.

On a side note - IMatch also automatically removes duplicate keywords which is handy for cleaning up the duplicates left over from the 'Essential/Something/Comprehensive' debacle.  

Edited by Vincent Lowe
grammar error
  • Like 1

On 30/07/2020 at 15:21, Vincent Lowe said:

When I copy keywords from Alamy and paste to IMatch it automatically adds the spaces. Mario Westphal, the developer of IMatch, is a stickler for keeping to standards (XMP, IPTC, etc.) so it probably is the industry standard.

On a side note - IMatch also automatically removes duplicate keywords which is handy for cleaning up the duplicates left over from the 'Essential/Something/Comprehensive' debacle.  

JUst been looking at your iMatch link - certainly seems to be something that looks very useful for DAM. In a nutshell what does it do and how does it help?

5 hours ago, Jansos said:

JUst been looking at your iMatch link - certainly seems to be something that looks very useful for DAM. In a nutshell what does it do and how does it help?

In a nutshell - just about everything you would want in a DAM, and more.

Best thing I can do is refer you to the IMatch Online Help,  the Learning Center, and the YouTube channel

You can also download a 30 day trial - https://www.photools.com/download/

One example - when Alamy had the 'Essential - Main - Comprehensive' keyword fields I found it easier to enter them online, but I didn't have the keywords in my own local files at home.  A few months ago I imported them from the Alamy Excel file into my files using the IMatch 'CSV Importer' module.  Not quite as straightforward as I had hoped but this was mainly because of errors in the Excel file - copying it as a CSV file missed out a couple of separator commas which screwed things up and took a bit of finding.  Even so, I managed to import captions and keywords into around 10,000 files (yes 10K!) with just a few hours work.

Edited by Vincent Lowe
Spelling error
  • Thanks 1

On 15/08/2020 at 16:44, Vincent Lowe said:

In a nutshell - just about everything you would want in a DAM, and more.

Best thing I can do is refer you to the IMatch Online Help,  the Learning Center, and the YouTube channel

You can also download a 30 day trial - https://www.photools.com/download/

One example - when Alamy had the 'Essential - Main - Comprehensive' keyword fields I found it easier to enter them online, but I didn't have the keywords in my own local files at home.  A few months ago I imported them from the Alamy Excel file into my files using the IMatch 'CSV Importer' module.  Not quite as straightforward as I had hoped but this was mainly because of errors in the Excel file - copying it as a CSV file missed out a couple of separator commas which screwed things up and took a bit of finding.  Even so, I managed to import captions and keywords into around 10,000 files (yes 10K!) with just a few hours work.

Thanks Vincent, Definitely sounds like something worth investigating. Thanks for letting us know more about it!