Low Fees for Images in the National Press

I thought I was doing well in the last few weeks. I’ve had an image in the New Scientist, another in  the Sunday Times and one in the Guardian. The fees are coming through this week. After commission, £12 for the New Scientist, £3 for the Sunday Times and I’m still waiting for the Guardian fee. What are others experiences? I wish Alamy would have a minimum realistic charge for their images. 

Edited by ROC

The newspaper uses may well be part of the UK Newspaper Scheme, which returns very low fees. The only upside for someone such as myself with a large portfolio is the quantity. Yesterday's UKNS reports amounted to $40

11 minutes ago, Steve Jones said:

I got $8.84 for use in a UK national newspaper in December (RM).  I find it irritating that Alamy won't tell me the name of the publication.  How did others in this thread work it out?

Alamy doesn't reveal the identity of its clients. That's how having an agent works- they're not our customers, they're Alamy's.

Check the "have you found...." thread or try a Google search.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1

37 minutes ago, Steve Jones said:

I got $8.84 for use in a UK national newspaper in December (RM).  I find it irritating that Alamy won't tell me the name of the publication.  How did others in this thread work it out?

I googled my name and the word photo which brought up my photos in the Sunday Times, the New Scientist and the Guardian. It doesn’t always work, I’ve had other sales saying they are for magazines and I have no idea where they’ve appeared. 

4 minutes ago, ROC said:

I googled my name and the word photo which brought up my photos in the Sunday Times, the New Scientist and the Guardian. It doesn’t always work, I’ve had other sales saying they are for magazines and I have no idea where they’ve appeared. 

I meant Google image search. My browser has a right-click GIS add-on .

Obviously you can't find print-only sales- that's what the "have you found" thread is for.

Edited by spacecadet

1 hour ago, Steve Jones said:

Mine was mentioned in the "found images" thread.

I have used Google images in the past but it seems very unreliable these days and rarely seems to produce any meaningful results.

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

I meant Google image search. My browser has a right-click GIS add-on .

Obviously you can't find print-only sales- that's what the "have you found" thread is for.

Try Press Reader. You can get all national newspapers in print form except The Sun and The Times. And amazingly I can access press reader for free through Edinburgh City Libraries. Other libraries may do the same.

• Like 1

On 27/02/2020 at 02:52, ROC said:

I thought I was doing well in the last few weeks. I’ve had an image in the New Scientist, another in  the Sunday Times and one in the Guardian. The fees are coming through this week. After commission, £12 for the New Scientist, £3 for the Sunday Times and I’m still waiting for the Guardian fee. What are others experiences? I wish Alamy would have a minimum realistic charge for their images. 

In an ideal world, it would be great for Alamy to set a minimum and make clients pay it but it is a buyers world right now.  Too many cheap options out there while the publishing industry is trying stay in business.  I used to find dozens of Alamy images in The Washington Post every week but now just a trickle....they aren't using fewer photos but more photos from micros.  I applaud Alamy for not caving in to the micro world.  My fingers are crossed that Alamy can sustain what they are doing.  I will stop supplying photos to the stock industry if all that is left are micros.  

• Love 1