New Portfolio

Stedalle

hi everyone, I have been registered with alamy for a year but a recently active user, I wanted a tip or an opinion from you more experienced than me (I see very nice portfolios) on my mainly editorial material, if it is loaded with the right caption and keywords and even if the photos are suitable for sale on this site .. at the moment unfortunately I only have one sale 😅

Thanks 

https://www.alamy.com/portfolio/668680.html

Edited by Stedalle
  • Love 1

like your images.  One thing i would do is edit back your captions now that it moved from Live News to stock to only mention what is in the specific image.  For example on your 2019 Carnival images, your now will get a hit for Trump and Frido Kahlo even on images that don't feature them.  

also be careful on your KW.  describe what is in the image...   

example Image ID: W2DHE8   has no "audience" , "actor", "confetti" , "film" .  (i probably would add things like "microphone" "profile", "upper body", "sitting" and "side view" but that's just me)

Edited by meanderingemu

Thank you very much for the advice, very much appreciated, yes in fact my big problem is to understand the right insertion system of the suitable kw, for example those suggested I had not thought of inserting them ..

any advice on how to get inspiration for the kw? to understand which ones are more correct than others ..

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 17/02/2020 at 13:52, Stedalle said:

hi everyone, I have been registered with alamy for a year but a recently active user, I wanted a tip or an opinion from you more experienced than me (I see very nice portfolios) on my mainly editorial material, if it is loaded with the right caption and keywords and even if the photos are suitable for sale on this site .. at the moment unfortunately I only have one sale 😅

Thanks 

Congrats on getting a sale. In my opinion some of your recent images are too dark and would benefit from having the shadows and maybe the mid tones lightened. For example 2B1E10T. Whilst it's good that the sky isn't been overexposed, the result is that the main subject is too dark. If you're using Photoshop, then Image>Adjustments>Shadows/Highlights..... Or play around with Curves control.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

On 17/02/2020 at 16:55, Stedalle said:

any advice on how to get inspiration for the kw? to understand which ones are more correct than others

In the caption answer the question Who What Where When Why and How. In the keywords put the words from the caption, add plurals, US/UK english spelling variants (color/colour) and terminology variants (pavement/sidewalk), add any emotional keywords (power, strength, etc), add latin names for any plants or animals.

1 hour ago, Colin Woods said:

In the caption answer the question Who What Where When Why and How. In the keywords put the words from the caption, add plurals, US/UK english spelling variants (color/colour) and terminology variants (pavement/sidewalk), add any emotional keywords (power, strength, etc), add latin names for any plants or animals.

thanks, yes the part of the keywords I still don't understand very well and I find a lot of difficulties, I would like to deepen this topic but I find all fairly generic guides that do not go specifically. thanks for your advice

6 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Congrats on getting a sale. In my opinion some of your recent images are too dark and would benefit from having the shadows and maybe the mid tones lightened. For example 2B1E10T. Whilst it's good that the sky isn't been overexposed, the result is that the main subject is too dark. If you're using Photoshop, then Image>Adjustments>Shadows/Highlights..... Or play around with Curves control.

Mark

yes I understand what you mean, I try to keep the scene as realistic as possible as in reality.

My three image portfolio was refused twice owing to, in their opinion, noise in images. They were each ran through Topaz Denoise and re-submitted. Again refused for same reason. I am not criticising your images. Far from it. I think they are very good. However, they seem to have similar quality to the three I submitted.

5 minutes ago, Rodwell said:

My three image portfolio was refused twice owing to, in their opinion, noise in images. They were each ran through Topaz Denoise and re-submitted. Again refused for same reason. I am not criticising your images. Far from it. I think they are very good. However, they seem to have similar quality to the three I submitted.

I don't use topaz for editorial photos because I don't like the result very much, maybe there's something wrong, what's your portfolio?

12 hours ago, Rodwell said:

You can check out my website at www.tonywoods.smugmug.com/Tony-Woods-Photography. One of the images was Brotherly Love. I would welcome your comments.  Many thanks.

nice pictures, but I wanted to see the ones you posted on alamy for comparison.

5 hours ago, Colin Woods said:

Deepen away, this forum is a mine of information freely given. Ask specific questions and you will get good answers.

sorry but I don't understand your answer very well.

What I meant was that you can ask as many deeper and more specific questions and you will get good replies. For example you can post an image that you are finding hard to keyword and ask people here for their suggestions. There are some very experienced photographers here who have been in the business for decades and they can offer points of views and perspectives that can really help.

1 hour ago, Rodwell said:

Hi Colin

I am not sure how to place my three portfolio images into a discussion like this??

Hi Tony,

Alamy does have relatively high image quality standards for submission which are the same for all contributors. It's nothing to do with the subject of a photo or how pretty it looks, it's purely in terms of the following:

https://www.alamy.com/contributor/how-to-sell-images/guidelines-for-submitting-images/?section=3

They don't want any sharpening applied, noise should be kept to a minimum and no upsizing of images. If you make sure you don't have any of the following, you should be ok:

https://www.alamy.com/contributors/alamy-how-to-pass-qc.pdf

You can potentially get away with uploading JPEGs taken in camera without editing, but it is highly recommended that you use some sort of professional image editing programme.

Also note that once you fail QC, the approval time for your next submission increases. And if any photo fails QC, all photos in a pending batch fail - they expect you to carry out the QC yourself.

Hope this helps,

Stephen

Edited by Steve F

On 20/04/2020 at 20:46, Stedalle said:

However, they seem to have similar quality to the three I submitted.

It's not possible to tell this (especially noise content) at the size of an Alamy preview. You need to compare 100% crops. Did you see my post in response to your "Disappointed with Alamy" thread? 

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

The images you have on there look generally fine to me, beautiful outdoor carnival photos with vibrant color. Like others said, perhaps include a bit more variety to have a chance of wider customer base.

At around 200 photos 1 sale sounds about right. I am a bit over 300 with my second sale recently in a year with Alamy.

• 3 months later...
On 17/02/2020 at 16:52, Stedalle said:

Thanks 

Very nice gallery, congratulations. Good luck 

Hi, I am very new myself here and I have a question to you. I see in your portfolio many faces and crowds of people. Do we need to have any releases to upload images like this or imagery from public events can be uploaded without releases? 

On 21/04/2020 at 15:55, Steve F said:

Hi Tony,

Alamy does have relatively high image quality standards for submission which are the same for all contributors. It's nothing to do with the subject of a photo or how pretty it looks, it's purely in terms of the following:

https://www.alamy.com/contributor/how-to-sell-images/guidelines-for-submitting-images/?section=3

They don't want any sharpening applied, noise should be kept to a minimum and no upsizing of images. If you make sure you don't have any of the following, you should be ok:

https://www.alamy.com/contributors/alamy-how-to-pass-qc.pdf

You can potentially get away with uploading JPEGs taken in camera without editing, but it is highly recommended that you use some sort of professional image editing programme.

Also note that once you fail QC, the approval time for your next submission increases. And if any photo fails QC, all photos in a pending batch fail - they expect you to carry out the QC yourself.

Hope this helps,

Stephen

I've never had a problem with in camera JPEGS with my current gear. Tended to shy away from them with my old A35 as they appeared slightly over sharpened. Something that bugs me about Sony kit is that the JPEGS and the raws have slightly different appearance. For one the JPEGS seem to have a slightly higher DR, but that might be because I use the DRO setting. They also have slightly different colour cast, and typically, when I have a dilemma it is that the JPEG looks better but that I need to edit it be it remove noise or whatever, and so I need to use the raw anyway. Of course the shadows and highlights can be recovered better on raws but the fact the JPEG is better SOOC leads me to just use that if I can.

It's been my experience that they are very strict on chroma noise. Before I used LR I submitted an image taken at ISO 800 in broad daylight and they failed it on noise. It took me a bit to realise it was probably chroma noise in a dark portion of the image, which I hadn't even spotted before. Thankfully LR by default all but removes most chroma noise and they don't seem bothered about fine "grain" as long as it doesn't contain colour splotches. I suspect the person you quoted had some mild chroma noise in his images and that's why they failed it. 

Edited by Cal

On 17/02/2020 at 13:52, Stedalle said:

Thanks 

I would echo what others have said. Your images are good and technically fine. More variation (which will come in time) and you should see more sales, I think.

Great photo of Roger Waters by the way (the b&w one), I saw the same tour when it arrived in the UK - brilliant.