Is this the longest waiting time for a submission to pass QC

Allan Bell

Question

I uploaded 6 images on 1st of February. YES I know it was a Saturday and weekends don't count.

Today Friday 7th I received notification the upload had passed.

Boy was I sweating.

Allan

8 minutes ago, Contemporary Dave said:

I have 2/3 star rating and I'm still waiting for shots to be cleared (I have a 100% pass rate) that I submitted 3 days ago. ☹️

Yes.. I just noticed that I now have 2 out of a possible 3 stars for QC rank and images in QC for 2 days now (which hasn't happened to me for a long time). A day or two ago when I last noticed, I had 5 out of 5! .. so have they reset QC rankings across the board and reverted back to just having a maximum of 3 stars??

1 minute ago, spacecadet said:

If you're concerned, put one through and see what happens. (I assume you'vebeen  getting instant passes).

I have one sat waiting for QC at the moment since Tuesday. I have been used to mainly instant passes with the occasional one that passes the next morning (which I assume to be a random spot check).

I just got this response from the Alamy QC team (contributor relations forwarded my query to them).

Hi Matthew,

Seems we made a mistake when reviewing your account.

Your correct that you haven’t failed for a long time and therefore deserve 5 stars.

I’ve given you them back.

Thanks,

The Alamy QC Team.

My pending submission just passed, presumably as a consequence.

So if you believe you have lost stars incorrectly, it might be worth dropping them a quick email.

• Love 1

44 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

one thing however, my image that was accepted yesterday did not make it through any update overnight.  So it passed QC, says up for sale in AIM, but is not available for clients

My delayed-in-QC images passed around 11am this morning, and a test upload just now went straight through. As you say though, the database hasn't updated yet from yesterday.

• Thanks 1

It is interesting the way this thread is moving.

OK my rating is one star out of a maximum of three. Uploaded a batch of images on 9th and just received the notification today, so it seems that a contributor with one star has to wait five working days to hear wether he/she has passed or failed. This appears to fall in line with my first post when I started this thread.

This mean that someone (me) with only one star would only be able to upload a maximum of 52 times in the year, assuming all the uploads pass QC, which my last one did not.🤬

Also I now have to wait 10 days before I can upload again.😢

I am not going to pursue the failure with Alamy as they know what they want. But to me it looked OK otherwise I would have deleted the image from my drives and not worked on it.

It would appear, looking at it again, that the focus in the image was just a tad behind the subjects front facing the camera. Sorry just letting off a bit of steam.

Allan

1 minute ago, Allan Bell said:

It is interesting the way this thread is moving.

OK my rating is one star out of a maximum of three. Uploaded a batch of images on 9th and just received the notification today, so it seems that a contributor with one star has to wait five working days to hear wether he/she has passed or failed. This appears to fall in line with my first post when I started this thread.

This mean that someone (me) with only one star would only be able to upload a maximum of 52 times in the year, assuming all the uploads pass QC, which my last one did not.🤬

I am not going to pursue the failure with Alamy as they know what they want. But to me it looked OK otherwise I would have deleted the image from my drives and not worked on it.

It would appear, looking at it again, that the focus in the image was just a tad behind the subjects front facing the camera. Sorry just letting off a bit of steam.

Allan

I don't know what camera you are using and I am far from being an expert on technical matters but I can test and adjust the focus on lenses for my Nikon. Your problems could be due to inaccurate focus in your autofocus.

Paulette

34 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

someone (me) with only one star would only be able to upload a maximum of 52 times in the year

Not quite- assuming you passed regularly your QC rating would improve.

You're no worse off than ever and in fact better off- the sentence used to be a month in chokey. I used to be in good company😉

49 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

It might restrict how frequently your images are QCed (frustrating admittedly) but it doesn't restrict how many images you can upload or indeed how many submissions. I frequently upload multiple submissions even though I might have submissions already waiting for QC... they just all get QCed in one go en-mass. And if you can work out what you're getting wrong, as Spacecadet says, your QC rating should in time improve.

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Not quite- assuming you passed regularly your QC rating would improve.

You're no worse off than ever and in fact better off- the sentence used to be a month in chokey. I used to be in good company😉

We all did. Betty used to cook for us while she was in clink too.

Allan

2 hours ago, NYCat said:

I don't know what camera you are using and I am far from being an expert on technical matters but I can test and adjust the focus on lenses for my Nikon. Your problems could be due to inaccurate focus in your autofocus.

Paulette

I was using the Sony RX100 Mk 3 so no microadjustment available. The focus is usually spot on but the shutter button, on my model at least, is very sensitive and I could have moved my trigger finger very slightly while re-framing the shot, as I sometimes do.

When I had Canon gear I was always using micro-adjust to reset focusing on different lenses.

Allan

1 hour ago, Matt Ashmore said:

It might restrict how frequently your images are QCed (frustrating admittedly) but it doesn't restrict how many images you can upload or indeed how many submissions. I frequently upload multiple submissions even though I might have submissions already waiting for QC... they just all get QCed in one go en-mass. And if you can work out what you're getting wrong, as Spacecadet says, your QC rating should in time improve.

I have always waited to upload another batch until the previous one had passed (or failed QC).

And I have worked out what I am doing wrong. I joined Alamy in the first place.🤣

Only joking with that last sentence Alamy. Please don't sack me, pretty please.

Allan

• Love 1

40 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I have always waited to upload another batch until the previous one had passed (or failed QC).

And I have worked out what I am doing wrong. I joined Alamy in the first place.🤣

Only joking with that last sentence Alamy. Please don't sack me, pretty please.

Allan

be careful, the acquisition thread has mentions of people wanting to get rid of contributors, based on their own criterias..... 

On 14/02/2020 at 14:50, Allan Bell said:

I was using the Sony RX100 Mk 3 so no microadjustment available. The focus is usually spot on but the shutter button, on my model at least, is very sensitive and I could have moved my trigger finger very slightly while re-framing the shot, as I sometimes do.

As resolution increases, minor misfocussing becomes more apparent.  I always used to use one shot autofocus (in Canon speak - focus is fixed and is held once it has locked on), unless I was photographing something that was supposed to be moving. But nowadays I use servo mode (autofocus continually adjusts) so that if I do move slightly as I press the shutter, hopefully the autofocus will adjust accordingly and compensate for the slight change in distance, even for static subjects. 

Graham