Location seems to be searchable

Just looking at some images and did a search in AIM for Lichfield Cathedral. I was surprised that some images came up which didn't have Lichfield Cathedral in the tags, but I had added Cathedral in the location field by mistake. No other images of Lichfield came up in my search even though I have Lichfield in the location field, so AIM found the images purely on Cathedral in the location field.

I don't know if this means that location is searchable for customers too.

John.

I got caught a couple of times with this one. I asked Alamy and their reply was that location is only searchable by us in AIM. It is not searchable  by clients.

There is no logic in it for me and find it very confusing.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, gvallee said:

I got caught a couple of times with this one. I asked Alamy and their reply was that location is only searchable by us in AIM. It is not searchable  by clients.

There is no logic in it for me and find it very confusing.

It is very confusing. I do fill in the location, but I don't really know why!

John.

12 minutes ago, Stokie said:

It is very confusing. I do fill in the location, but I don't really know why!

John.

If someone  zooms your image, location is listed along with other information below the image. I guess this potentially confirms or otherwise to a buyer that in some cases this is the image they need. Hypothetical example... if a British publication searched for "trees countryside", they might then spot that an image that they are interested in was taken in The USA so might not really fit their purpose so they could look again until they find an image that they were sure was taken in The UK.

Edited by Matt Ashmore

I've always understood that the AIM search is the same as the main public search. In particular when you edit images in AIM then the changes are not reflected by the AIM search until the server update, which is actually rather counter-intuitive and slightly annoying when you are searching your images in order to correct captions & keywords etc. I can't explain your findings but I've just tagged a UK image in AIM with the location  'Russia' and that has not come up in the AIM search. I suppose I could leave it there and see if it does after the server update. Might be better in fact to invent a location that doesn't otherwise exist on Alamy and then try searching for it after the server update.

I do believe that the Location dropdown options on the main Alamy search - so USA, UK, Europe & Australia - are only taken from the optional Location field but I think that is the only way that field is made use of currently.

Edited by Harry Harrison

4 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

I've always understood that the AIM search is the same as the main public search. In particular when you edit images in AIM then the changes are not reflected by the AIM search until the server update, which is actually rather counter-intuitive and slightly annoying when you are searching your images in order to correct captions & keywords etc. I can't explain your findings but I've just tagged a UK image in AIM with the location  'Russia' and that has not come up in the AIM search. I suppose I could leave it there and see if it does after the server update. Might be better in fact to invent a location that doesn't otherwise exist on Alamy and then try searching for it after the server update.

I do believe that the Location dropdown options on the main Alamy search - so USA, UK, Europe & Australia - are only taken from the optional Location field but I think that is the only way that field is made use of currently.

That's right, search in AIM doesn't work until the next update. I have to remind myself of that sometimes- you really need to tag a sub in one go, or you can get awfully lost.

Ok, yesterday I invented a new country and chose two of my images at random. In one I put it in as a keyword and in the other I put it in the Location field.Today, after the server update only the image with this new country in the keywords comes up in the search. This suggests to me that anything entered in the Location field is not searchable, apart from USA, UK, Europe & Australia as mentioned above.

I've corrected the images in AIM but for one day only we have Ozstralia.

Note:

I put this in the wrong thread so I've copied it over.