I have been using a combination of D800 and D4s as my main working cameras along with the 24-70, 70-200 and occasionally the 14-25 f2.8's.

A bulky combination for sure but I am more self conscious these days when shooting on the street and grab shots in public buildings etc is to me anyway a bit of a non starter. 

I also have a GH5 which I use for video and a selection of MFT lenses, though nothing on the long side as yet as I haven't needed for video and can occasionaly stick a Nikkor on a Metabones for that, but even that is quite large really.

I could do with a very small camera that I can stick in a pocket with a 1 decent zoom that is half decent in low light and good enough for Alamy, I prefer to stick with MFT but will consider other options, any suggestions?

Steve, I use a Sony RX100/6 90% of the time now when shooting stock. You can click on the blue number to observe the results. I also have a Sony a6000. I've sold all my Nikons. 

Harry, put your hand through the wrist strap and you won't drop it. And I have shaky hands. I used the popup viewfinder most of the time. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Harry, put your hand through the wrist strap and you won't drop it.

Thanks Ed, I'll take another look. My other problem is that I can't compose off a screen without glasses  so I need a viewfinder and I'm not that keen on electronic but I can see it takes great pictures in the right hands - you should be a Sony Ambassador!

2 minutes ago, Steve Tucker said:

In fact I see the MKVII at over £1000, a MK VI at £800 and this at under £300 https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Advanced-1-0-Type-F1-8-4-9-DSC-RX100/dp/B008CNMZDW

The last one seems to be a Mark 1, the original.  I have that one and use it along with my Nikon for stock.  Doesn't have some of the nice features of the later models, such as the viewfinder and tiltable LCD screen.

3 minutes ago, MariaJ said:

The last one seems to be a Mark 1, the original.  I have that one and use it along with my Nikon for stock.  Doesn't have some of the nice features of the later models, such as the viewfinder and tiltable LCD screen.

Thanks, it seems all versions are still available on Amazon, I will have to do some research.

9 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Thanks Ed, I'll take another look. My other problem is that I can't compose off a screen without glasses  so I need a viewfinder and I'm not that keen on electronic but I can see it takes great pictures in the right hands - you should be a Sony Ambassador!

Thanks, Harry. Ambassador? Maybe not, but I am a Sony mirrorless endorser. 

And regarding shooting in low light: I found the Handheld Twilight Scene setting very helpful, even though I have to settle for shooting jpegs. Look at some of my recent dusk snaps.  

STEVE: RX100/3 was the first one with a popup viewfinder, a feature I could not live without.

Edited by Ed Rooney

I bought the RX100-VA last year after doing quite a bit of research. Apart from the much longer zoom, it seems the main difference between this and the later VI and VII is in video capabilities. My main reason for buying was to have a carry anywhere pocket camera for stills and I think I made the right decision at the time. Having said that, I have started doing a lot more video as the camera is quite amazing in that regard as well as being an excellent stills camera - not in the same league as a D800 series camera but amazing for its size and perfectly adequate for Alamy QC.

See  RX-100 versions comparison for a detailed and informed article on the differences between the different versions. 

16 minutes ago, MDM said:

I bought the RX100-VA last year after doing quite a bit of research. Apart from the much longer zoom, it seems the main difference between this and the later VI and VII is in video capabilities. My main reason for buying was to have a carry anywhere pocket camera for stills and I think I made the right decision at the time. Having said that, I have started doing a lot more video as the camera is quite amazing in that regard as well as being an excellent stills camera - not in the same league as a D800 series camera but amazing for its size and perfectly adequate for Alamy 

See  RX-100 versions comparison for a detailed and informed article on the differences between the different versions. 

Thanks, that comparison link is very useful, I will study it.

Although the Sony rx100 2 is my constant companion I have recently been using the m4/3 Panasonic gx85 and am considering the gx9 for the extra resolution. The 12-32 kit lens is simply crap but as you have Olympus lenses that should not be a problem. I currently use the Olympus 12mm f2, Panasonic Leica 12-60 and Panasonic 45-175 which have no problems passing QC. I do believe that the Sony 6000 series cameras would be slightly superior but they don't seem to have a good standard zoom lens. Hope this helps.

I just got rid of all my FF Canon gear as I found I was using my RX100mk3 more than any other kit and getting stock sales with it.

To get extra reach I  bought an RX10iv which is a bit bigger, not pocket-able, but is light and has a 600mm equiv zoom.

The 1" sensor in both cameras is not so good in low light, but it's the only thing I miss from my full frame stuff.

This sunset weather shot is taken with the RX10iv and the buildings are about 50 kms away. RAW processed to JPG.2ajyr42.jpg

The (heavily compressed) image below is taken with the same camera at 24 mm, then I zoomed to get the sunset shot (exactly the same position, just zoomed in).
It really has got some reach and fantastic autofocus/frame rates/tracking ability etc, although both these shots were taken with manual focus and manual exposure settings.

1200wm-04760_xgaplus.jpg

Edited by mickfly
  • Like 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

The VA has a faster lens. But the range is 24-70. The 100/6 is a little slower but has a 24-200 zoom. Which would you find more useful?  

Your not helping ;) now that gives me something else to consider. so 24-70 which is what I would call a 'normal' working zoom and what I do 75% of my photography on, but yes the reach to 200mm would be considerably useful, but the 1.8-2.8 of the VA is worth considering for indoor shots, hmmm.

The other option is still the GX9 and use MFT lenses, then I have lens choice, hmmm. Much more to consider :)

1 hour ago, mickfly said:

I just got rid of all my FF Canon gear as I found I was using my RX100mk3 more than any other kit and getting stock sales with it.

To get extra reach I  bought an RX10iv which is a bit nigger, not pocket-able, but is light and has a 600mm equiv zoom.

The 1" sensor in both cameras is not so good in low light, but it's the only thing I miss from my full frame stuff.

This sunset weather shot is taken with the RX10iv and the buildings are about 50 kms away. RAW processed to JPG.

The (heavily compressed) image below is taken with the same camera at 24 mm, then I zoomed to get the sunset shot (exactly the same position, just zoomed in).
It really has got some reach and fantastic autofocus/frame rates/tracking ability etc, although both these shots were taken with manual focus and manual exposure settings.

That really is quite impressive.

I use my Nikons though for commercial work, so can't sell them to finance other cameras, apart from I am thinking about swapping them for a Lumix S1H, which would work as a good video camera and a stills camera for commercial work.

Thats still not a solution for my stock work though and I think the RX10iv which looks great is a bit big for my needs, so its still between one variation of the RX10 and the GX9, which I liike because I already have MFT lenses though nothing long, I have some great low light lenses for them for video but probably want to avoid carrying more than one additional lens.

• Like 1

Steve, the RX10 series are like a somewhat smaller, lighter DSLR. I have one and it's a good camera. But it wouldn't fit into a pocket or extend your kit in any positive way. Go look at one of the RX100s. 

• Like 1

I use a 50 megapixel Canon the most, but I also carry a small Sony RX100 version 1 on my belt for the unexpected, or for very very long walks. I have had a lot of stock sales success with my Sony, however I am thinking of replacing the Sony with a Canon PowerShot G5 X Mark II.

The Canon PowerShot G5 X Mark II is only very slightly bigger than the Sony, but has specs more to my liking.

The Sony RX100  series are all great cameras, but consider the Canon PowerShot G5 X Mark II before you buy.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-powershot-g5-x-mark-ii-review

19 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Steve, the RX10 series are like a somewhat smaller, lighter DSLR. I have one and it's a good camera. But it wouldn't fit into a pocket or extend your kit in any positive way. Go look at one of the RX100s. 

Sorry I actually meant the choice is between the RX100 and GX9, thanks for pointing out my error

25 minutes ago, Bill Brooks said:

I use a 50 megapixel Canon the most, but I also carry a small Sony RX100 version 1 on my belt for the unexpected, or for very very long walks. I have had a lot of stock sales success with my Sony, however I am thinking of replacing the Sony with a Canon PowerShot G5 X Mark II.

The Canon PowerShot G5 X Mark II is only very slightly bigger than the Sony, but has specs more to my liking.

The Sony RX100  series are all great cameras, but consider the Canon PowerShot G5 X Mark II before you buy.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-powershot-g5-x-mark-ii-review

Thanks Bill, I will take a closer look

10 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

Many swear by the Sony RX100 series, truly pocketable, 1" sensor but very good quality, at least one contributor only uses the RX100. For me I think I would drop it though, but that's a reflection on me rather than the camera.

I do not own this camera, but I have heard similar positive opinions about it.

I've got the Sony RX100 Mk III and love it. I prefer the menu system on the Canon G5 X Mk II but its lens just isn't as good in the corners at wide angle setting (although it does offer a longer zoom range and wider aperture). Sony's low light "wizardry" is also superb.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Love 1