Vintage Car IDs required

Rob C

I'll go out on a limb and suggest that the top one is a bit small a bit too scruffy to be a Rolls Royce.  The grille, though similar in proportions is not quite the same, it looks like you ought to be able to read the badge though.

Strange that the top and middle cars have seemingly identical wheels, and possibly the same bonnet mascot. I don't think the middle one is a bullnose Morris though, I think you would see the bulbous shape of the grille from the side, it does have a 'dickey' seat like a bullnose Morris though, but many cars of that era had one.

Edited by Harry Harrison

The top one may well be a Rolls Royce but it looks weird - there are no headlights, I can't see any door handles and the edge of the bonnet has a strange overlap, I think it would usually be hinged along that edge to allow the bonnet to be opened, the side panel and one half of the top rests on the other half of the bonnet.  But back then you purchased a Rolls Royce chassis and had your own body fitted so perhaps the chosen coach builder just wasn't very good.  It almost looks like someone was working on it, the wheels need hub caps, it just doesn't look complete.  The radiator looks like the 'honeycomb' style more usually seen on Silver Ghosts, 20's seem to have 'slatted' radiators, but it looks much thicker down the sides when viewed from the front.  Almost as if someone is trying to build their own Rolls Royce.

No idea on the other two.

The roughly triangular, downward-pointing shape of the badge on number 3 could have been an Alvis but actually I think it may be an Austin, a make we don't particularly associate with luxury cars of stature, not since the Austin Maxi anyway. Something like an Austin 20, they might also have been coach-built.

Very similar in style to this one from 1919:

1919 Austin 20 Shooting brake

9 hours ago, wiskerke said:

The front suspension in #1 is unlike a Rolls Royce.

Could the head lights be WW1 blackout lights?

The bonnet looks like it's covered with canvas or tarpaulin.

wim

Yes, I keep thinking the suspension is wrong, the springs should be more prominent.  I did wonder about blackout lights, but I assumed the lights on the wings were sidelights and the headlights are missing.

2 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

The roughly triangular, downward-pointing shape of the badge on number 3 could have been an Alvis but actually I think it may be an Austin, a make we don't particularly associate with luxury cars of stature, not since the Austin Maxi anyway. Something like an Austin 20, they might also have been coach-built.

Very similar in style to this one from 1919:

1919 Austin 20 Shooting brake

I did think the radiator badge looked similar to the Austin badge but was put off because there isn't an "Austin" badge on the radiator grill - but maybe it fell off.

Austin Maxi a luxury car? Surely a Austin Allegro with a quartic steering wheel is far more noteworthy.

6 hours ago, wiskerke said:

My guess is that something like this is the radiator cap ornament / hood mascot in #1:

https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/images4/1/0716/16/airplane-propeller-hood-ornament_1_eca707ce6b9e0be56b59b66f2dded2d6.jpg

https://www.classicandsportscar.com/sites/default/files/styles/slideshow_slide/public/2018-12/5_StoryDisplayFlyingMascot.jpg?itok=rSYZQyj_

(image #7)

wim

Bet there isn't a rotary engine under the bonnet though.😃

Allan