Any wildlife experts? Otter.

Are you sure it was a river otter and not a mink?  I had one find the pond in my front yard (in Toronto) and he cleaned out the 8, two-foot koi I had in there.  They will keep coming back until all the fish are dead.  It was heartbreaking to see them chewed up like that.  Many died over some months.  I eventually trapped him.

41 minutes ago, Dave Handson said:

Having looked at the video it looks very much like an otter to me. If they know there is a food source they will continue to utilise it.

Hope that helps?

Dave

Thanks Dave. I guess once the fish are all eaten it will move on.

Edited by Thyrsis

1 hour ago, Thyrsis said:

We thought it would be a mink but from the footage it looks like an otter.

You're right.  Too big for a mink.  Looks like an otter.  For us it would be a North American River otter.  That must be a Eurasian otter.

2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

My son gave up stocking his small yard pond with Koi. With his, it was fishing herons. 

In Vancouver, people put wire meshes over yard ponds to help protect fish from hungry herons. Not sure how effective meshes would be with the like of otters and minks, though.

14 hours ago, Reimar said:

Cheers. 

Cheers.  Inquiring minds want to know how you did that.  The URL seems to long to paste in the "insert image from URL"

Drag and drop from the image's page on Alamy, but I have two monitors so that's easier to do. Or right-click and "copy image location" from AIM.

4 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

This is our pond. It’s raised but the heron lands on the edge and wades in!

garden-pond-with-haddonstone-neopolitan-

I suffer from extreme envy when I see where some of you live. Enjoy!

Paulette

6 hours ago, NYCat said:

Paulette

We’ve been in this house 32 years Paulette so have done a lot to it, and to the garden. My other half built the pond himself!

6 hours ago, NYCat said:

Paulette

I got confused here- wondered why Paulette's house reminded me so much of the Home Counties!

Edited by spacecadet