Hello, as above really. I had a sale a while back with the following licence -

"Country: United Kingdom
Usage: Consumer goods
Media: Calendar
Print run: up to 5,000
Placement: Inside
Start: 19 June 2019
End: 19 June 2020"

I've found the calendar on sale online and my image is also the featured picture on the front cover. Is this normal practice or is it something I should be flagging to Alamy? 

Thanks in advance. James :)

10 answers to this question

It's been almost 3 years since this sale but it does say it is for a cover...

Print run: up to 20,000
Placement: Front cover
Start: 01 January 2017
End: 01 January 2018
Includes thumbnail use on the back page

It was also the January pic. It paid in the high $$.

Paulette

2 hours ago, Bionic said:

Hello, as above really. I had a sale a while back with the following licence -

"Country: United Kingdom
Print run: up to 5,000
Placement: Inside
Start: 19 June 2019
End: 19 June 2020"

I've found the calendar on sale online and my image is also the featured picture on the front cover. Is this normal practice or is it something I should be flagging to Alamy? 

Thanks in advance. James :)

Definitely worth contacting Alamy via email contributors@alamy.com. Alternatively fill in the "Report Unauthorised Use" form (link at the bottom of your dashboard) and explain the use doesn't match the licence purchased in the text box and include the URL where you found the evidence of cover use.

Mark

worth checking. 

I can however say from my first sale that the text we get don't always match what the license states. 

Mine was more minor, what i received was "One use in a single editorial article ", when i noticed i was the also the banner image of a pictoral editorial, therefor having two use, i sent a note to contributor service, who said that the 2 uses were specifically part of the license. 

First, congrats!

I license images directly to a few different calendar companies. The largest of which is an international publisher with branches in the US and the UK.  While they pay $$$ per image, with  additional fees if the image is used in a different version of the calendar, they do not pay any more for the cover photo than they do for any other image. Despite having a few dozen images in their calendars to date, having one on the cover a couple of years ago was a still a thrill, so I'm glad you feel chuffed! I certainly would. 

Some companies do pay a larger fee for the cover image. So, I'd send an email to Alamy rather than reporting it as an unauthorized use, since, as others have noted, the license info you get from Alamy doesn't always  reflect the actual agreement. For example, I had an RM image licensed for both the frontispiece and a second license for inside use in a book, one-time use. The photo was then used in subsequent editions, in breach of the terms of the license ("one-time use") that showed up in my sales here, but when I contacted Alamy, I was advised that subsequent editions were included despite the fact that it contradicted the terms. 

I just thought I'd post the conclusion to this. I emailed contributor relations as suggested and apparently it was simply an error on the licence invoice so all is above board so to speak. 

As an aside I have to say I'm really impressed with the response from Alamy, I had a reply confirming that they would look in to this pretty much at business opening and a second one about 20mins later with the result so I couldn't really ask for better.

Thanks again everyone for your advice and thanks Alamy for being so prompt :)

• Like 4