iMac arrives today

My advice would be to get the latest version PSE12 (the £63 upgrade cost is tiny in comparison to what you have just spent on the Mac). Otherwise you are running two different versions of ACR which can be annoying and confusing. And Adobe have probably added some new goodies to the most recent version of PSE, perhaps even a 64 bit version - that I don't know but, if it is, then it should perform a lot better than V9.

Just had a look at the Adobe tech specs and PSE12 is 64-bit. Like Malcolm, I use PSCS6 so no direct experience of PSE. However, I do know that when Adobe introduced the full 64-bit version on PSCS5, it gave vastly superior performance in terms of memory usage as it allowed the program to use essentially unlimited memory instead of the previous 2 Gb (I think) limit. This is very important with large files (like from a D800) - saves vast amounts of time editing.

And I am just about to order my iMac today. After all those years in Windows I am about to step into the unknown. I'll have a lot of relearning to do, but I have never met or read of anyone who said "I went to Mac and I hated it". It should be fab.

Col

And I am just about to order my iMac today. After all those years in Windows I am about to step into the unknown. I'll have a lot of relearning to do, but I have never met or read of anyone who said "I went to Mac and I hated it". It should be fab.

Col

You won't look back. I started with Macs, went to PCs for several years and then back to Mac. I won't be going the other way again in the near future. The OS is very straighforward and all the components are designed to work together. I have been running the same machine for nearly 5 years with 3 OS upgrades and I've never had to reinstall from scratch. And no viruses to worry about still.

As with any computer intended for graphics, just make sure you get as much RAM as you can afford.

Colin, I'm on my 2nd iMac after years on a PC.  You notice...2ND iMac.  I never looked back.  Haven't had a crash.  Got this one in December '12.  Love it, except in Mountain Lion, my "pages" work can no longer be saved as a word document.  The "save as" where you can choose Word disappeared.  There is a workaround by copy/paste into Textedit, where I can save as a .Docx file.  For anyone curious about the process, open your document, highlight and copy, then go to the Textedit program and paste it in. Then go to:

1. File>Duplicate.

2. Press Command S to save duplicate.

3. In the "file format" box at bottom of dialogue box, choose "Word 2007". Save.

The only thing I hate about this method is that I am limited to save the Word document to a folder or two that I have recently had open or to the hard drive or whatever.  There is no option to save to Desktop or to go to Desktop and choose a folder.  So in future, I think I'll open and do something with the folder I prefer to save to so that folder will be available to me.

There is also another workaround by opening pages document.

1. Open file

2. Choose File>Print

3 Choose "Save as PDF from popup menu, choose name, location for the PDF.

4. Eter info, such as title, author, subject, keywords...this allows you to find the document using those words in Spotlight. 

I had to send a document, a simple one page instruction document to a pet sitter using a PC yesterday and she couldn't open the pages attachment. I used the first method and she could open it fine.

I can't address if you have a complicated document with a lot of formatting, whether either of these methods mess up the formatting.  It's something you'll have to try for yourself.

Looking to upgrade in the not to distant future because I am running Windows XP and Microsoft are withdrawing support in April next year for that OS. Have Windows 7 on my laptop but not 100% happy with it and no way am I going with Win 8.

Could anyone tell me if it is a simple matter or not to transfer files from Windows to a Mac system. ie. Will they need to be reformatted at all to run on a Mac?

Any other info greatfully received.

Allan

Looking to upgrade in the not to distant future because I am running Windows XP and Microsoft are withdrawing support in April next year for that OS. Have Windows 7 on my laptop but not 100% happy with it and no way am I going with Win 8.

Could anyone tell me if it is a simple matter or not to transfer files from Windows to a Mac system. ie. Will they need to be reformatted at all to run on a Mac?

Allan

It depends what you mean by files. If you mean image files, raws an jpgs etc. Then they will transfer over fine, no problems at all. Actual applications..... no. Different way of running. Windows you install apps into the system but with a mac, you install an application into a sandbox environment..... it's like a contained / separate unit. To uninstall you drag it to the bin and it's gone. It doesn't leave dll files lying around etc.

When I migrated over I connected both systems to the network and transferred my documents that were on the windows computer to a shared folder on the Mac. I also use a large NAS drive to store images etc and this can be seen, accessed by both systems.

If you let mention any specific concerns or requirements, I'm sure either myself or some other Mac user can help out.

Allan

It depends what you mean by files. If you mean image files, raws an jpgs etc. Then they will transfer over fine, no problems at all. Actual applications..... no. Different way of running. Windows you install apps into the system but with a mac, you install an application into a sandbox environment..... it's like a contained / separate unit. To uninstall you drag it to the bin and it's gone. It doesn't leave dll files lying around etc.

When I migrated over I connected both systems to the network and transferred my documents that were on the windows computer to a shared folder on the Mac. I also use a large NAS drive to store images etc and this can be seen, accessed by both systems.

If you let mention any specific concerns or requirements, I'm sure either myself or some other Mac user can help out.

Thank you Duncan you have answered my question abut files. Should have said I ment images and word, spreadsheet files etc.

Thank you for the additional information too.

I am sure there will be more questions, particularly when I actually have a Mac, which won't be for a little while yet having just blown some money on a new Fuji X-E1 system.

I am short of screen size space and am currently working on a 22" screen. Could possibly go to a 24". Which screen size would you advise on a Mac system?

Allan

Allan

Thank you Duncan you have answered my question abut files. Should have said I ment images and word, spreadsheet files etc.

I am sure there will be more questions, particularly when I actually have a Mac, which won't be for a little while yet having just blown some money on a new Fuji X-E1 system.

I am short of screen size space and am currently working on a 22" screen. Could possibly go to a 24". Which screen size would you advise on a Mac system?

Allan

No problem. I use word and Excel on the Mac as well and provided you don't need to write any VBA scripts it works a treat. VBA on a mac is a fairly new development. I think it's Excel / Office 2011 for the Mac that I'm using on Mountain Lion.

On a quick read up on Maverick, it seems like they will charge the same as the last OSX upgrade, about £14 to update...... you'll not find many Windows operating systems being sold at that price!

Last time I downloaded the update over the App store it could be applied to both iMacs and the MacBook Air.... excellent value.

My wife and I have been on Macs since 1990; they have been ultra-reliable and easy to use.

Any dual platform Microsoft files (Word, Excel) should transfer with no problem, as well as RAW files and jpegs.

Sadly, many Adobe products may need upgrading so they will work with OS 8.

If you can budget for it, get the 27" and as much RAM as it will take. My tech guy put in a SSD on my older iMac (when the internal HD started showing signs of failing) which is even more reliable and faster...the new iMacs can fit both an SSD and a regular HD. The SSD has a much smaller capacity, so it only holds the OS, and any applications vital to operating the Mac, third party apps like Word etc go on the regular HD.

I called in a certified Apple tech guy to set up our last three Macs because he could do it far faster, and knew which programs would be compatible with the new OS...a big side benefit, is he was also authorized to install many upgraded Adobe products (like CS5) that would work with the newer OS, at no additional cost! And he was there to cure any glitches and custom set up our computer the way we wanted (the 2 hours he took was well worth the money spent - ever spend two hours on hold waiting for your Apple help person?).

Dave

>>>Looking to upgrade in the not to distant future because I am running Windows XP and Microsoft are withdrawing support in April next year for that OS. Have Windows 7 on my laptop but not 100% happy with it and no way am I going with Win 8.

Allan

Allan

No problem. I use word and Excel on the Mac as well and provided you don't need to write any VBA scripts it works a treat. VBA on a mac is a fairly new development. I think it's Excel / Office 2011 for the Mac that I'm using on Mountain Lion.

On a quick read up on Maverick, it seems like they will charge the same as the last OSX upgrade, about £14 to update...... you'll not find many Windows operating systems being sold at that price!

Last time I downloaded the update over the App store it could be applied to both iMacs and the MacBook Air.... excellent value.

A little known fact is that Microsoft first released VBA for Excel back in about 1994 before they released a Windows version (that was before Win 95 of course). It was one of the very first applications to run native in the then brand new Power Mac. I taught myself VBA for Excel at that time. I don't know when Microsoft removed VBA from Mac Office. I wasn't aware VBA had returned as I am still running Office 2008 - the Home edition which cost about £90 at the time.

I don't think Microsoft has ever produced Access for the Mac but if you need a database, then Filemaker Pro is very good and easy to use.

Another fact that doesn't get a lot of airtime is that you can run Windows on a Mac at very decent speed since Apple started using the Intel processors about 6 or 7 years ago. I don't know what versions will work on the new Macs. I installed XP on a separate partition when I got my machine and used it while transitioning, mainly for Access. It's still on my MacPro but I've not started it up in about 3 years i would guess.

The only incompatibilty I've seen is in the Photoshop metadata going between PSCS4 on a Mac and PSCS3 on WIndows. I had done my keywording with proper Spanish characters on the Mac. At the time I was using an Access database on Windows for image management and would save my images as low res JPEGS with the metatdata included and then go over to WIndows which made a right mess of the metadate which included Spanish characters. I had a similar experience when I submitted keyworded images to another image library (not Alamy which seems to handle foreign script properly). I doubt the problem would exist going PC to Mac though.

If transferring files through an external drive, best to format the drive using Mac Disk Utility in FAT32 or the like, readable by Windows.

Congrats Gervais. This is a decision that you will never regret.

I have used pcs for most of my life but switched to iMac some years ago and am now on my second.

Ideal for photography and any graphics and very instinctive. No crashes and no viruses, corrupt files etc.

The 27" has plenty of space to have different applications on screen at the same time.

I use MS Office for Mac for my admin as I find this performs best for me.

Enjoy

dov

Allan

As was mentioned, many types of files can transfer easily between both operating systems.  I'm a Mac user at home but must use a PC at work. Since I must take work home,  I regularly transfer Word, Excel, PowerPoint and image files back and forth between each platform.  Usually no problem, unlike in the old days.

Archived