Jump to content
  • 0

Tax Forms, Fees, Etc.


jcampo
 Share

Question

Hi everyone,

 

Just to make sure, are we as sellers required to provide tax form information to Alamy?  I ask this because I see other similar contributor websites requiring this. As far as I understand, Alamy does not mention anything related to taxes.  Yet, they do mention something about fees, but I don't know if it is only from PayPal and/or Alamy, but I remember the terms saying that it is a very low amount, about $1 to $10, not sure.  If so, do I need to work this out first, and if I do, do I need to contact the IRS to request a form?  I have never worked officially for any company, so what would I need to do if am required to provide information to Alamy and/or the IRS?  Thank you.

 

Regards,

Javier

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
1 hour ago, jcampo said:

Hi everyone,

 

Just to make sure, are we as sellers required to provide tax form information to Alamy?  I ask this because I see other similar contributor websites requiring this. As far as I understand, Alamy does not mention anything related to taxes.  Yet, they do mention something about fees, but I don't know if it is only from PayPal and/or Alamy, but I remember the terms saying that it is a very low amount, about $1 to $10, not sure.  If so, do I need to work this out first, and if I do, do I need to contact the IRS to request a form?  I have never worked officially for any company, so what would I need to do if am required to provide information to Alamy and/or the IRS?  Thank you.

 

Regards,

Javier

 

Unless you are a stock photographer with this as his main business I don't think you need to worry too much at the moment. When the time comes that you are starting to earn a substantial amount from your images with Alamy then that is the time for this sort of question.

 

My understanding is that you can make up to £1,000 a year from your hobby with out having to notify the tax office.

 

Others may differ.

 

Allan

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
6 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

 

Unless you are a stock photographer with this as his main business I don't think you need to worry too much at the moment. When the time comes that you are starting to earn a substantial amount from your images with Alamy then that is the time for this sort of question.

 

My understanding is that you can make up to £1,000 a year from your hobby with out having to notify the tax office.

 

Others may differ.

 

Allan

 

 

I assume that as he mentions the IRS, OP is in the US.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
8 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I assume that as he mentions the IRS, OP is in the US.

 

Whoops! Sorry missed that.

 

Allan

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

What Michael said.

I add up all my payments at the end of the year and give it to my tax guy. If Alamy were a U.S. based company, I think it would be different. The U.S. based company would provide you the necessary form, even if you have to go to their website and download it.  That was the case for me with Fine Art America. Then I gave that to my tax guy.

Betty

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

I use form 1040 Schedule C, for a business as a sole proprietorship. Income, deductible expenses, amortization of equipment--or I should say, our tax guy does that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

I guess it might depend on where you are located. I'm based in Canada and have not had to submit tax forms to Alamy, which is a UK company.

 

However, when I deal with US stock agencies, I have to complete an IRS form (W8-BEN) and supply a taxpayer ID number in order to avoid double taxation.

 

Regarding fees, if you opt to get paid via PayPal, Alamy covers the PP fees, which is very good of them

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

My understanding is that you can earn up to $400 a year without having to pay self-employment tax.  The US does require paying self employment taxes of 15% or so percent if your reported net earnings are over that.  My bank reports my balance to the US IRS so if it started going over $400 a year, I'd be obligated for that. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
16 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

 

I add up all my payments at the end of the year and give it to my tax guy.

 

Betty

 

When you have added up your Alamy payments at the end of the year give it to ME, NOT your tax guy.🤣

 

Allan

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.