Photoshop elements- good enough?

willn

Question

Hi everyone, I joined Alamy about 11 years ago but it's probably been about 8 years since I last submitted.

I'd like to start again but can I use Photoshop Elements for editing? Last time I was using CS 2 but I don't have access to that anymore and don't want to spend loads of money on software. Or is there an alternative out there for photo editing that would be suitable for Alamy? The simpler the better.  I've got a Macbook air so needs to be relatively 'light' software.

Apologies if this question has been asked lots before, I did do a search on here and couldn't see anything obvious.

Thanks for any constructive advise, Will

12 answers to this question

I've only used Photoshop Elements briefly, but I think it's probably fine if you're a fairly minimalist editor, like I am. My personal preference is Lightroom, which I'm using an old version of, so I can't speak to current value. But you can try a free trial from Adobe to test which works for you. I've only had to use the full version of Photoshop very, very occasionally for portrait retouching I couldn't do in Lightroom.

I don't remember the name or functionality of the basic photo editing software that comes with a Mac, but have you tried that if you don't want to spend a lot of money?

Edited by KHA
Added thoughts on Mac software

Yes Photoshop Elements is fine for photo editing for Alamy. The main limitation I found was the lack of automatic CA removal (which Photoshop and LR offer) and some adjustments only work in 8 bit mode, but that's not a problem if you adjust levels/contrast etc. before switching to 8 bit mode. If Adobe double their CC subscription prices (see rumour in other thread) I may well go back to PSE.

Mark

If you are happy editing in 8-bit and not having layer functionality then Elements should be fine. My own workflow is DXO to Lightroom 4 to Photoshop (an old version). So long as you are not pushing the processing too far then I don't see a problem with Elements.

Not sure if you can still buy a standalone version of Lightroom, but, if possible, that would be my way forward (but check that it will support your camera). Currently using last updated version of standalone LR coupled with an ancient version of PS. NOT prepared, nor feel it necessary, to  pay monthly for latest Adobe stuff. Had PE years ago and found it quite usable but a tad restrictive as compared to PS - but things may have moved on.

Thanks guys, very helpful, I'm going to experiment with some Gimp software but if that doesn't work well enough I think I'll get Elements. I want to keep editing simple- it's the main reason I haven't submitted for so long as I haven't much patience for long hours in front of a computer. Cheers for your help :)

Edited by willn

15 hours ago, willn said:

Or is there an alternative out there for photo editing that would be suitable for Alamy?

Worth checking out Affinity Photo also, only a one off payment of £50 and they are still developing it. No IPTC option at the moment though.

12 hours ago, Bryan said:

Not sure if you can still buy a standalone version of Lightroom

Pretty sure that disappeared quietly from all outlets a few months ago. If they were still selling (and developing) that then perhaps they wouldn't feel so comfortable about doubling their subscription prices if that's what they intend to do.

13 hours ago, Joe Gaul said:

If you are happy editing in 8-bit and not having layer functionality then Elements should be fine.

What layer functionality is missing in Elements?

Alan

I have always used Elements. 

For basic editing and tweaking levels, exposure, contrast, colour and general cleaning up etc. it is perfectly fine.

I imagine if you are into much more creative arty stuff with loads of manipulation that takes ages to work on,  you'd be better off with something else,.

7 hours ago, Inchiquin said:

What layer functionality is missing in Elements?

Alan

Thanks for asking that question Alan. I always thought that Elements (I still use E8 but mainly for keywording) did not support layer based editing. After your post I tried it and it does; good to know.

Joe

I currently use an older version of DxO Optics Pro, which is nice and simple, for RAW editing and an aged version of PSE for tweaking, resizing, etc. For keywording I use Photo Mechanic. This trio works fine for me, but then I have minimal knowledge of layers (except when it comes to cakes) and no interest in advanced photo manipulation.