Advice for frustrated photographer who has not sold a photo in alamy

francis ramirez

Question

Hello, I am a landscape photographer living on an island in the Caribbean, and I would like to know with the other nature photographers who are successful in Alamy, what are the techniques that have been used to make your portfolio profitable in Alamay. I will appreciate your advice because I believe in this type of business  and I still have not had results and I'm a bit frustrated but with the desire to move forward I believe in the triumph through information and persistence.  A hug to my colleagues who answer my question.

11 answers to this question

You have some good images, but you need more of them and more variety. You could also do with expanding your captions. What are the abandoned boats? What is their history? More details about location etc.

You've only got 136 images which is a very small number. These cover a limited number of subjects, and I think this will further decrease the likelihood of you making sales. 

I don't know what the competition is like (at Alamy and elsewhere) for landscape images from where you live. Quite a lot of them don't seem specific enough to your island. Do you have scope to expand your range of images to include people, settlements, buildings, farming, vehicles, infrastructure etc. etc.?

Most of the purchase of DR specific photos will be for travel brochures and guide books.  It's a relatively limited market.  

One of your photos has something that looks like a dolphin fin or whale fin in the surf.  Not sure from your caption what it is, and am not familiar with the word you used. 

Not sure what you have in the way of local cooking, local birds, local fish, but covering those can be useful.  Also, various monuments. 

Check though Alamy's needs list (What to shoot) and see if you have any matches.    What others have said, you need to have a bigger portfolio with more variety. 

A good picture tells a story. You would to shoot more and create more variety of images in different timing of the day and season. Study those top quality nature images, how is it their work different from yours? 136 images are only micro amount in the world of stock images. Keep creating very good images, good title and relevant keywords. Patience is the key. 

7 hours ago, MizBrown said:

Most of the purchase of DR specific photos will be for travel brochures and guide books.  It's a relatively limited market.  

One of your photos has something that looks like a dolphin fin or whale fin in the surf.  Not sure from your caption what it is, and am not familiar with the word you used. 

Not sure what you have in the way of local cooking, local birds, local fish, but covering those can be useful.  Also, various monuments. 

Check though Alamy's needs list (What to shoot) and see if you have any matches.    What others have said, you need to have a bigger portfolio with more variety. 

It is a surfer. It's clearer in some of the other images. I think "sorfist" is an error.

Paulette

A quick search of All of Alamy (AoA) in Alamy Measures shows quite a few customer searches for the Dominican Republic during the past year. That could give you some ideas. I was in the DR about 20 years ago and really enjoyed the trip. I found it to be a terrific place for photography -- plenty of history, nature, local colour, friendly people, etc. Some of the images I came home with have become repeat-sellers.

Captions are quite bad.  "Beach to envoy bahia de las aguilles" ???   Typo to begin with (enjoy, not envoy), then many significant keywords should be incorporated.  I.e.  "Seascape"   "blue" "caribbean"  "vacation"  etc. 

Something like this:    Tropical Bahia De Las Aguilles Beach and Seascape with Crystal Clear Blue Water, a popular Caribbean Vacation Spot in Dominican Republic

Lot more images needed and i agree with above - fuller and better captions - describe what is in the photograph

MYO32R - i like this image - its vibrant and full of colour and relates well to DR - whilst you have many good keywords - house and property are missing  ,also homes in addition to home ( which you have)

Key action - get a lot more fully captioned images up