Anyone know what this is?

Mark

L1013353.jpg?format=300w

I wonder if anyone knows what this is? It is about 20cm in diameter, inserted into the ground, has a set of solar cells on the top, and "rattles" (I can hear and feel the rattle) for about 5 seconds every 30 seconds or so. There are several of them distributed around the orchard. For the life of me, I can't find any reference to this device. There are no other devices, machines, recording stations etc anywhere close.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Mark

Update of an old Norfolk idea - they used to poke kids' beach windmills into the ground and the vibration through the stick scares the moles away.  Looks like solar has now take over from wind power!

Steve

Moles operate about every four hours, so get yourself some of those Norfolk kiddies windmills for the nightshift - then you are really 'green' - Solar by day and Wind by night - In France they sell explosive 'Taupe Bombes' which apparently have very interesting effects.......a friend in Normandy recounts how a picnic in his garden was interupted by by a mole which arrived over his fence after an explosion in the neighbour's garden - it was still alive but looked a little alarmed by the experience.....

Many small birds depend on moles for their survival during winter, when the mole does a great job by pushing up soil loaded with invertibrates (grubs, bugs, worms etc.). Frozen ground is a desert to birds and the soft mole mounds are a real oasis for them. So leave them moles alone!

Before anyone asks....No moles don't hibernate!

Parm

Many small birds depend on moles for their survival during winter, when the mole does a great job by pushing up soil loaded with invertibrates (grubs, bugs, worms etc.). Frozen ground is a desert to birds and the soft mole mounds are a real oasis for them. So leave them moles alone!

Before anyone asks....No moles don't hibernate!

Parm

I endorse Parm's statement : discretion !

Do they use these on golf courses?

No, they still use clubs and balls :D

:D :D :D Didn't even realise moles played golf!

It is not uncommon to see small groups of moles labouring thus . . .

dd

Archived