Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
John Mitchell

Nikon scanner question

Recommended Posts

I have a Nikon Super Coolscan 4000 ED scanner that isn't working properly. My scans have a strong magenta cast. Anyone know what the problem might be?

 

P.S. Sometimes if I shove the slide-holder into the scanner very hard, the scans come out OK for awhile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this a magenta on slides? Could it be it's applying the negative filter?

Could be software setting; could be wrong film holder.

 

wim

 

edit: this thread suggests cleaning the mirror is the solution: because when dirty the scanner fails a routine check during start up.

Edited by wiskerke
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Is this a magenta on slides? Could it be it's applying the negative filter?

Could be software setting; could be wrong film holder.

 

wim

 

Yes, 35mm slides. It's the same film holder I've been using for years, the Nikon one that came with the scanner. I'm also using the original Nikon software and haven't made any changes, but I'll check the settings. As mentioned, the scanner sometimes works OK if I give it a whack -- i.e. push the film holder in aggressively several times before scanning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like it might be something seriously wrong with the scanner. Apparently these scanners are getting very difficult to repair as the parts are no longer available from Nikon. I got mine out of storage a few months ago to see how the scans would compare with slide copies but it became invisible to the computer. It worked for a couple of scans and then this happened. However, the slide copies were far superior to the scans.  I am happy to give it to anyone who would like it for parts for the cost of shipping. Let me know if you want it if you are the sort of guy who is happy to dismantle a scanner. I don’t know what it would cost to send to Canada from England so might not be worthwhile but it is there if you are interested. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, John Mitchell said:

 

Yes, 35mm slides. It's the same film holder I've been using for years, the Nikon one that came with the scanner. I'm also using the original Nikon software and haven't made any changes, but I'll check the settings. As mentioned, the scanner sometimes works OK if I give it a whack -- i.e. push the film holder in aggressively several times before scanning.

 

Found an answer: please reload my previous post. It's in the edit.

 

wim

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wiskerke said:

 

Found an answer: please reload my previous post. It's in the edit.

 

wim

 

Interesting thread. Thanks very much, wim. I'll see if I can figure out how to clean the mirror.

Edited by John Mitchell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, MDM said:

Sounds like it might be something seriously wrong with the scanner. Apparently these scanners are getting very difficult to repair as the parts are no longer available from Nikon. I got mine out of storage a few months ago to see how the scans would compare with slide copies but it became invisible to the computer. It worked for a couple of scans and then this happened. However, the slide copies were far superior to the scans.  I am happy to give it to anyone who would like it for parts for the cost of shipping. Let me know if you want it if you are the sort of guy who is happy to dismantle a scanner. I don’t know what it would cost to send to Canada from England so might not be worthwhile but it is there if you are interested. 

 

Thanks for the offer. Shall keep that in mind if worse comes to worst. Shipping costs to Canada from the UK can be very high.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I followed this John http://www.shtengel.com/gleb/Nikon_5000_mirror_cleaning.htm. When I got the scanner, the scans had a sort of glowing halo (magenta as it happens) around highlights. When I had a look the mirror was dusty, and a quick (and very gentle) wipe resolved the issue. Its not too bad to do.

Edited by Colin Woods
typos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I have a Nikon Super Coolscan 4000 ED scanner that isn't working properly. My scans have a strong magenta cast. Anyone know what the problem might be?

 

P.S. Sometimes if I shove the slide-holder into the scanner very hard, the scans come out OK for awhile.

 

Many moons ago after my Polaroid Sprintscan 35 died, until I bought another scanner, I used to borrow a Coolscan 4000ED off a photographer I knew for long periods while she was working abroad. It produced very good scans. Eventually I bought a Minolta Dimage 5400 and was as happy with it as any scanner. Scanning day after day is soul destroying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Colin Woods said:

I followed this John http://www.shtengel.com/gleb/Nikon_5000_mirror_cleaning.htm. When I got the scanner, the scans had a sort of glowing halo (magenta as it happens) around highlights. When I had a look the mirror was dusty, and a quick (and very gentle) wipe resolved the issue. Its not too bad to do.

 

Thanks for the link. Very helpful. I had no idea where the mirror was located. What did you use to wipe/clean your scanner's mirror?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

 

Thanks for the link. Very helpful. I had no idea where the mirror was located. What did you use to wipe/clean your scanner's mirror?

Sorry to jump in, but if it's just a bit dusty, air from a blower, or just a clean soft brush.

If it's smeared, isopropyl alcohol would do, if you have it, or lens cleaning fluid. I used high proof clear spirit (the sort you drink) once. Next best, distilled water, or if your mains water is soft, that. Just keep the pressure to a minimum. A cotton bud (Q-tip) is a good tool. The surface shouldn't be particularly delicate- it's not like a lens. But treating it like one won't hurt.

Edited by spacecadet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a ls5000 and have cleaned the mirror a couple of times. First hit on google is a good guide.

 

wim

Edited by wiskerke
link
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks very much for all the helpful advice. I should have asked you guys earlier. Not sure when I'll get around to performing the surgery but shall let you know how things work out.

Edited by John Mitchell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its not that bad in fact John. It took me much longer to summon the courage to take a screwdriver to my scanner than it did to clean the mirror. It takes about half an hour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Colin Woods said:

Its not that bad in fact John. It took me much longer to summon the courage to take a screwdriver to my scanner than it did to clean the mirror. It takes about half an hour.

 

Thanks for the encouraging words. It is a bit intimidating. No one wants to touch scanners these days, which might be a good thing since the last repair job by Nikon Canada cost me over $500. DYI  DIY seems the best -- and perhaps only -- option if possible. First I have to deal with the CRA (last minute as usual).

Edited by John Mitchell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

 

DYI seems the best

 

 

Do Yourself In?

 

Alan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Inchiquin said:

 

Do Yourself In?

 

Alan

 

Quite possible... 😮

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.