Abuse of presentation licence...again

spacecadet

I was relaxed about this- until yesterday!

Someone was kind enough to post a tweet where an image of mine was used outside the terms of the PU. MS are dealing with that.

I then thought it wise to check all my recent presentations as they're getting on for 10% of my sales. By volume of course- by revenue, not on your life!

Anyway I found an ebay seller of film memorabilia selling copies of my Hill Valley Courthouse. Posing as a potential buyer I got him to admit he'd been sent it by a customer- presumably the holder of one of the 2 presentation licences. He's subsequently sold at least 2 copies at £20 a pop! Ebay have taken it down, but he's posing as a private seller so I can't get his address.

I've asked this question of MS- what's the point of opting out of PU (as I do with all my archive) when a crook can just buy presentation at the same price in the UK?

I'm not expecting an answer.

58 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Currently you can opt of personal use but not presentation use.

Alamy said they will allow dropping out of Presentation use if enough contributors ask for it. I have. COME ON EVERYBODY !!

I have 3 Presentation Uses out of 6 sales this month. Come on Alamy...

7 hours ago, gvallee said:

Alamy said they will allow dropping out of Presentation use if enough contributors ask for it. I have. COME ON EVERYBODY !!

I have 3 Presentation Uses out of 6 sales this month. Come on Alamy...

One more here! I want to opt out of Presentation use as it can be done for Personal use.

6 hours ago, Alan Gallery said:

Presentation use should be only available to businesses and recognised institutions.  Possibly to students with ID. Only ever in sizes suitable for on-screen or half A4 print use.  Covers are not presentation use.

This makes sense to me. In the past, I've occasionally been contacted through my own website by people wanting an image for presentation use. I always asked exactly what it would be used for and delivered the smallest size that would fit their needs. Just allowing anyone to download a full-sized image for unverified use is not a good idea (trying to be polite here B)).

I would also like to drop out of presentation use,

I recently dropped out of personal use,

straight away I sell a presentation use.

By opting out of presentation use will this cost me sales ?

Maybe, but at least when I make sales they will have a chance to be sold at their correct 'worth', which, will make me feel my time, effort and work here is worthwhile !

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2019 at 19:24, spacecadet said:

I was relaxed about this- until yesterday!

Someone was kind enough to post a tweet where an image of mine was used outside the terms of the PU. MS are dealing with that.

I then thought it wise to check all my recent presentations as they're getting on for 10% of my sales. By volume of course- by revenue, not on your life!

Anyway I found an ebay seller of film memorabilia selling copies of my Hill Valley Courthouse. Posing as a potential buyer I got him to admit he'd been sent it by a customer- presumably the holder of one of the 2 presentation licences. He's subsequently sold at least 2 copies at £20 a pop! Ebay have taken it down, but he's posing as a private seller so I can't get his address.

I've asked this question of MS- what's the point of opting out of PU (as I do with all my archive) when a crook can just buy presentation at the same price in the UK?

I'm not expecting an answer.

I've also found one being used for a different marketing use, like the PU issue, this is easily open to abuse, Alamy need to ensure the files are small. 

Archived