Exclusive and Ranking

1 hour ago, regen said:

not at the moment but who knows what will happen n the future if they decide to massage the algorithm.

Alamy said that results order, AKA ranking, depends among other criteria, on the photo researcher and its search history. Hence they said results are different for each person. 

Ranking nowadays bear no relevance to the old ranking algorithm. Hence no more re-ranking every 100 days. Alamy didn't say that but it's not happening.

As to the future... who knows.

27 minutes ago, Doc said:

I am still hoping Alamy will have an "Alamy Exclusive" tab for those customers who want to see images that they know they wont find anywhere else

Kumar

Yes I hope so too. If they don't, then I fear this whole exercise will have been a massive waste of time, money and goodwill.

Mark

6 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Yes I hope so too. If they don't, then I fear this whole exercise will have been a massive waste of time, money and goodwill.

Mark

However, offering images as exclusive is not without risk for Alamy  -- e.g. customers' definitions of "exclusive" will no doubt vary .

45 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

However, offering images as exclusive is not without risk for Alamy  -- e.g. customers' definitions of "exclusive" will no doubt vary .

Indeed. Exclusive on Alamy means the photographer is only selling this image on Alamy. There's no guarantee that another photographer isn't selling an almost identical image elsewhere.

Mark 

2 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Indeed. Exclusive on Alamy means the photographer is only selling this image on Alamy. There's no guarantee that another photographer isn't selling an almost identical image elsewhere.

Mark 

It's called 'walking on very thin ice' IMO.

11 hours ago, Doc said:

I am still hoping Alamy will have an "Alamy Exclusive" tab for those customers who want to see images that they know they wont find anywhere else

Kumar

But this is a double-edged sword.. it means that a clever customer will realise that any image that they find in the 'normal' tab but not the 'exclusive' tab is likely to be available somewhere else so they might well go and look for it. This would result in Alamy (and contributors) losing money so I'm not sure I see it happening.

15 minutes ago, Matt Ashmore said:

But this is a double-edged sword.. it means that a clever customer will realise that any image that they find in the 'normal' tab but not the 'exclusive' tab is likely to be available somewhere else so they might well go and look for it. This would result in Alamy (and contributors) losing money so I'm not sure I see it happening.

They can do this just now, if they're very price conscious. Alamy has said they don't see it happening much. Anecdotal info from suppliers is 'mixed'.

Although much is made here of low prices elsewhere, you need to make a commitment to buy a lot of images to get the low prices. At some of the 'other places', if you just want a single image it can cost more than on Alamy, in some cases.

9 hours ago, Matt Ashmore said:

It will weaken Alamy's negotiating position. They won't even have to find the image elsewhere. 

Archived