Should you modify a Live News upload once it hits the general photo bank?

Hi, slowly learning the ropes, so thanks for all the great information around.  One thing i am  not sure at this point.  If i loaded something on the Live News wire, now that it is part of the general photo bank, should I go and edit the caption? 

My first attempt, was actually on annual event, so the photo could probably have value still next year, so should I now generalize it? 

If you think it might be used as a stock photo, yes. Most of the sales I get from covering news events come later as stock sales rather than live news - portraits of MPs, pics of the police etc. It's worth spending time on the captions and keywords if you want them to sell as stock. 

It can also be worth processing them again and resubmitting better quality images if they were done in a bit of a hurry at the time, as live news often is.

6 minutes ago, Phil Robinson said:

If you think it might be used as a stock photo, yes. Most of the sales I get from covering news events come later as stock sales rather than live news - portraits of MPs, pics of the police etc. It's worth spending time on the captions and keywords if you want them to sell as stock. 

It can also be worth processing them again and resubmitting better quality images if they were done in a bit of a hurry at the time, as live news often is.

thanks,  good point on reprocessing.  This was a fun attempt to do for a first, but i guess i might not have done the optimal work on all the shots, trying to get them in in a few hours.  

44 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

I don't change anything on my live news pics, maybe I should?!

Perhaps it depends on how specific your captions are when you submit to news. For example, my weather news captions often have general stuff related to the weather forecast, but not directly relevant to what is pictured. Event captions may also be more general whereas a stock caption needs to be specific for that image.

Whether any of this makes much difference to stock sales, I have no idea.

3 hours ago, Colblimp said:

I don't change anything on my live news pics, maybe I should?!

It can't hurt. Everything you can do to each image to make it captioned and tagged correctly and more focused on the subject depicted can only be a positive move. No sales are guaranteed of course but the more you can load it in your favour in any way you can, in however small a way, has to be the right thing to do.

50 minutes ago, aphperspective said:

I tend to narrow down the subject with careful tagging and pretty much leave the caption. Each to his own maybe.

Caption, being searchable, may include information which isn't in the image, depending on the type of story.

Archived