Nikon Nikkor 80-400mm F4.5/5.6 AF-S G ED VR

No;  but many years ago when starting my freelance career I was told, and I have stuck by it, that no zoom should be more than 2.5x the wide angle, or the optics will be poor. So on an 80mm the maximum zoom should be 200mm!!

Take a look at the Professional lens range from Nikon and they almost all fit this criteria

I really, really want this one and don't know if I will manage the cost. I have the old one and, yes, it is slow to focus and not the sharpest lens but it has been perfect for me. I love to shoot wildlife (with a camera) and I am not a big guy with strong hands so I need a long telephoto I can handle. Apparently the new version is half a pound heavier and is longer but I think I still could probably manage it. Anyway, I am usually using that lens on a tripod or beanbag. A photographer I've traveled with who knows I use the 80-400 has bought the new one and loves it.  The focus is faster and it is sharper than the old one. I hope I can eventually manage the cost and also manage the lens reasonably well.

Paulette

I sold mine recently as I found it too slow. Purchased a Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR in its place, which I prefer as a better option for my work. Also have a teleconverter if needs be to extend it, though I also use larger prime Nikkors more often at the 300-400mm range.

"http://www.artswebwales.com/oriel/bigpic.asp?picID=1504&catID=11

and a detail from this image:

http://www.artswebwales.com/oriel/bigpic.asp?picID=1505&catID=11

at 400mm,

f6.3

1/30

km"

Interesting. Looking at the louvres in the tower in the detail shot, I'd probably (mistakenly) not submit that to Alamy for fear of a QC rejection. Should I change my standards - or am I missing something? Keith - you know what you're doing better than most!

this is not an Alamy photo...just me seeing how far i could go to get a useable image...not a stock image

400mm @ 1/30s hand held is a bit impressive

km

I see - thanks. Modern VR can do a great job, can't it! Impressive.

this is not an Alamy photo...just me seeing how far i could go to get a useable image...not a stock image

400mm @ 1/30s hand held is a bit impressive

km

I see - thanks. Modern VR can do a great job, can't it! Impressive.

I think there's a teeny weeny bit more than just VR involved in hand-holding a 400 at 1/30.

dd

I have this lens, I find it quite good and use it primarily at dusk/dawn often hand held. The vibration reduction is great. I generally don't use it if I have to increase iso over 400. I would have purchased a prime lens, but I would have to drive about 25 000km to earn enough to get one (I drive a semi in my spare time). I would put up an image, but can not figure out how to :(

Chris

this lens is much much lighter than the equivalent 400mm prime......and more flexible. I know i can get a 400 equivalent by sticking the 2x on my 70-200 but that gives me a short end that's 140mm , which is a bit too long.....

as always, it a compromise.....but i'm happy to have this in my collection.....and it more than pays its way....

km

Here's a pretty decent take on this new afs version of the 80-400:

http://blog.mingthein.com/2013/05/02/lens-review-the-nikon-af-s-80-4004-5-5-6-g-ed-vr-ii-n/ 

I've had the old one for the past 5 years, I always use it on a monopod when wondering around or with a tripod when doing video with VR off. It's a lovely lens when used by competant long lens photographers, I find this lens is perfectly sharp upto 370mm provided the shutter speed is kept on the fast side (faster the better)

I'd get the new one in a flash if they took trade-in's and if it wasn't so expensive. 

Or you could spend less and get the Canon 100-400 + Crop Sensor Body. (Maybe someone from nikon marketing will see this post and get their price down before some of us jump ship!)

Parm :ph34r:

Every review I've read says the tripod collar is no good. Really Right Stuff has one -- for $235 -- as if the lens didn't cost too much already. I still really, really want one.

Paulette

Yes that's true, the collar does require improvment. This looks abit crude but a couple of years ago I found that sticking a small wooden block on top of the foot of the collar helps greatly to improve stability and image sharpness as it cradles the lens further down the barrel. As shown in this pic:

DSCF6628_zps6b261d9a.jpg

Kirk have a replacement collar for $159.95  : http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/555391-REG/Kirk_NC_80_400_NC80_400_Replacement_Lens_Collar.html

also available from Wex :http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-kirk-replacement-lens-collar-for-nikon-80-400mm-f4/p1006394

Why on earth can't nikon make decent lens collars anymore?

Parm

I had the old one for years.  I could tease some great images from it, but it often hunted a lot, which I didn't like when shooting birds. I missed a lot of shots because of that. Tail feathers exciting the frame....as the focus finally found a limb. Kidding.

I now have the new one, and it is a great lens.  Love the focus snap, and the images are much sharper.  If someone said I had to go back to the other, I would be depressed.  Taking 100 shots of birds with each, my keeper range is probably double what it was with the old one.

Archived